Where are the pelagics?

Toilor

Anyone else noticing a distinct lack of Bonnies, kings & salmon at the moment. According to my diary this time last year fishing landbased JB I'd caught nearly 50 Bonito and around 20 salmon 5 kings but so far I have 6 bonnies and 2 salmon as well as 3 rats only. Interested to hear  from other areas to give hope that they may arrive soon, cheers Toilor

Last year's bonito season was so thick I struggled to not get bonito during a session. Last year seasons was the most bonito I've seen caught compared to the 7-9 seasons prior to that.

Some seasons start late and others earlier. Going back roughly 10 years ago, we would start chasing them late Nov - early Dec, also the avg caught back then was much larger than those caught last season. The odd few I've seen this season so far are larger than last, just not as many in numbers so far.

5 minutes ago, Rob81 said:

Last year's bonito season was so thick I struggled to not get bonito during a session. Last year seasons was the most bonito I've seen caught compared to the 7-9 seasons prior to that.

Some seasons start late and others earlier. Going back roughly 10 years ago, we would start chasing them late Nov - early Dec, also the avg caught back then was much larger than those caught last season. The odd few I've seen this season so far are larger than last, just not as many in numbers so far.

Is this around Sydney

On my last two trips out about a month apart I didn't see any boils off North Head.  Last season  and quite  a few before that they were the size of football fields

I did spin up a few small bonnies about 1 k offshore when I saw birds working a school but I struck out in and around the washes.

Last week Long reef was dead but Sydney harbour has more bait in it than I have seen for years.

Not sure what that all means but it is certainly very different to last year.

Last season they the bonnies arrived early in the season. I started catching them around nov 2017. This season they started coming around end of december. 

And they are still out there with kingies and bonnies following lure only on the weekend. 

Just keep trying