Finally got out on the water

Doza48

I have been grounded for a while with the birth of our 2nd child I was not allowed out but I finally got out yesterday and the the wind around Lake Macquarie was uncomfortable in my little boat so I just pottered over to Bolton point and found a bit of cover just as the tide started going out 

I have been trying to crack the plastics code for a year now and not been very successful, so I was trying a few things to see what happened

I was throwing plastics and vibes and even a cranks crab around even trying to figure out how to work the  sugapen and was getting nowhere, while I was undoing a knot in the braid I threw over an old prawn that I had in the freezer for a year on the spare rod it was a last second decision to bring the old bait bag from the freezer as I have been leaving the bait at home on purpose for the last year to keep me trying on the plastics

It was only about 5 mins and away she went and dinner was in the boat4949CE97-1CC4-4916-8478-28768F1F4CCE.thumb.jpeg.37eecdcc4cb2a44401be62ba685c16ae.jpeg

kinda makes me feel I have been wasting my time and money for the last year trying to learn the plastics. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Doza48 said:

I have been grounded for a while with the birth of our 2nd child I was not allowed out but I finally got out yesterday and the the wind around Lake Macquarie was uncomfortable in my little boat so I just pottered over to Bolton point and found a bit of cover just as the tide started going out 

I have been trying to crack the plastics code for a year now and not been very successful, so I was trying a few things to see what happened

I was throwing plastics and vibes and even a cranks crab around even trying to figure out how to work the  sugapen and was getting nowhere, while I was undoing a knot in the braid I threw over an old prawn that I had in the freezer for a year on the spare rod it was a last second decision to bring the old bait bag from the freezer as I have been leaving the bait at home on purpose for the last year to keep me trying on the plastics

It was only about 5 mins and away she went and dinner was in the boat4949CE97-1CC4-4916-8478-28768F1F4CCE.thumb.jpeg.37eecdcc4cb2a44401be62ba685c16ae.jpeg

kinda makes me feel I have been wasting my time and money for the last year trying to learn the plastics. 

There have only been a few times that I have not used bait I normally put the bait out first and then flick plastics while I wait. Recently I had a plastic in the rod holder with about 5 metres of line out while I was winding in the bait rod and off she goes the rocking boat did the work was just a rat but very exciting.

I believe the older fish are the better breeders so I dont visit spots in the bay that hold bigger fish, Also I believe the older fish would most likely contain the most toxins. For my pallet the bigger fish dont taste as good as the smaller ones but each to their own. I have Also tried plastics and did have some success but I have the bait scene sorted and I do prefer the process of bait'n'wait. It's funny because I have had lure fishos pull good fish from right under me but I have also returned the favour so here is no definitive technique. Do whatever you feel is effective and enjoy the variety of the techniques. Cracker bream BTW.

Hi Mmg,

Lol - yes won't cause extinction - I have to admit when I do get a big one, ain't no way I'm gonna let it go either.

The toxins I meant are the heavy metals - you know, the good ones, cadmium, lithium, mercury, etc.

I do eat fish regularly so if anyone is gonna accumulate it, probably me. 53 for me n not dead yet either, but if the toxins were Tartare sauce then I WOULD target the big ones. The 90% of stuff sold in supermarkets - I agree they have all sorts of excellent additives - especially growth hormones. Only problem they didn't really work on me - I'm too short lol,,,

• Like 1

Interesting with catch n release as well as pollution themes.

I reckon plastics are good in that you just turn up tie on a lure and you're in business. Had a lot of success at first but have switched to live bait. Lot more time and effort but better results and cheaper too.

KB

Edited by Koalaboi

My daughter caught a 54 cm thumper during a comp when she was a kid which we kept, at this size it tasted so bad we couldn't eat it. I must admit I have great concerns over the toxins some fish can gather over the years.  I found an interesting government report on food standards which changed the way I fish and what species I will keep. Surprisingly barramundi were very high on the toxins list and the safe health recommendation in this country is considerably different by world health standards ( not in a good way ).

Nice bream by the way, a friend of ours has a fibreglass casting of a mammoth 13.2oz model, I will see if I can find a photo of it.

2 hours ago, Koalaboi said:

I thought criticism of a legal catch on size grounds/catch and release was against site rules?

KB

I don't see it as being critical, more simply pointing out there maybe health risks in eating some older fish, like there was on people eating to much of Sydney harbour caught fish a few years back.