Line and hook / jig for land based flathead

TheMatt123

Recommendations for the best line and hook / jig head land based setup when chasing Flathead, around Port Stephens / Newcastle area but generally like to know what you guys are having success with. Do you still land Bream and other species with your setup or mainly flatties?

Flathead have probably got to be the easiest fish to catch land based on lures, I prefer smallish plastics with a decent weight head so the lure will "bounce" along the bottom, in my area, plain old brown plastics work well, they don't look exciting, but they work! Flathead like to just sit in places where food will come to them, so, look for places like a drop off or a small channel running back into the main channel. Retrieve slow and jerky works best for me, I don't think there is a "best" lure for Flathead, almost anything will catch them if it goes past their nose.

I forgot, because of the type of location you fish for Flathead, and the bottom type of retrieve, you tend to only catch Flathead, but that said, I have also got Trevally, Whiting, Bream and even Blackfish when using small plastics for Flathead, so anything is possible.

9 hours ago, TheMatt123 said:

Do you still land Bream and other species with your setup or mainly flatties?

While the set up doesn't really alter you will find your choice of plastic can produce different results species wise.

Some plastics are sort of species specific like say gulp worms, they may get into whiting or bream/squire while shads may get you into things like flathead/snapper etc that's my theory anyway.

I have a tackle box full of different brand/shape/colour/sized plastics accumulated over time, some paddle tails, some shad, wrigglers etc.

I figure if one is not working on the day then the ability to change it up could mean success!

On a recent outing I trialed some squidgy pro prawn in white for the 1st time & caught 3 species, flathead, flounder & squire, so I was happy with that result & wouldn't be surprised if they were able to catch things like jew or even kings.

Edited by kingie chaser

Everyone has preferences for setups and what works for them. 

In the Bay Area, I use a 2-4kg 7ft rod. 

8lb braid and 12lb leader when chasing flatty and a 1/8oz 3/0 jig. There’s some big flatties about and they are not leader shy. 

You should be able to cast a fair distance with that outfit. 

If chasing bream or whiting drop the leader size to 6lb with a 1:6pz jig and 2 1/2inch sp! 

Cheers scratchie!!! 

• Like 2