NSW ELECTIONS

Rebel

I haven’t read it but I am really annoyed with politicians meddling at the moment.

The fishing lockouts, the mismanagement of the Murry-Darling, the proposed Cruise Terminal at Yarra Bay, rampant developments and general nanny state treatment, it’s a completely crazy with little regard for the people.  Their policies and motives completely contradict each other.

I do think things would improve with minimising immigration and population growth though.  I generally support the LNP but can’t even get a reply to phone calls, messages, emails or letters to the local member. Labour will pander to the greens no good choices....

We live in a society whereby those with the loudest voice are the most heard, responded to and acted upon...even if they represent a tiny minority.

The internet and social media have provided enormous pulling power to those who otherwise had no voice in the past because they didnt have the financial or administrative means. 

At the stroke of a keyboard, one persons opinion can be echoed to millions. 

Many minorities have used this concept to their advantage with huge success..................

When will we wake up and do the same?

On ‎2‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 1:12 PM, Welster said:

I haven’t read it but I am really annoyed with politicians meddling at the moment.

The fishing lockouts, the mismanagement of the Murry-Darling, the proposed Cruise Terminal at Yarra Bay, rampant developments and general nanny state treatment, it’s a completely crazy with little regard for the people.  Their policies and motives completely contradict each other.

I do think things would improve with minimising immigration and population growth though.  I generally support the LNP but can’t even get a reply to phone calls, messages, emails or letters to the local member. Labour will pander to the greens no good choices....

Unfortunately Bill Shorten just abuses anyone who talks about cutting immigration. The LNP is putting up smoke and mirrors by hinting at a tiny cut sometime after the election.

Interesting and scary article in the LAnd , now up on the Stop the Lockout page about the Animal Justice Party-they have lots of money, lots of candidates and lots of stupid people who will vote for them to "help our furry and cute friends". Make sure ALL your relatives and friends think through the implications of voting for these lunatics- no farming, no fishing, no hunting, no meat, no pets , no feral animal culls - thats their aim !

2 hours ago, PaddyT said:

Interesting and scary article in the LAnd , now up on the Stop the Lockout page about the Animal Justice Party-they have lots of money, lots of candidates and lots of stupid people who will vote for them to "help our furry and cute friends". Make sure ALL your relatives and friends think through the implications of voting for these lunatics- no farming, no fishing, no hunting, no meat, no pets , no feral animal culls - thats their aim !

Add - No kids to that list . http://animaljusticeparty.org/policieslist/humans/population/ .  

• Like 1

Guest Guest123456789

Also anyone who lives on the central coast who votes liberal should be ready for an oil rig smack bang off Terrigal Haven thanks to our QLD minister for industry, Matt canavan 

ED80BDD8-C879-48DD-8D10-E1114D13EC6B.jpeg

Guest Guest123456789

Canavan convinced fed libs and Scomo to give a Perth mining company over a million bucks of taxpayer funds  to conduct seismic testing that will kill doilies, tuna, all sorts off offshore species from box head to Norah head

https://www.asx.com.au/asxpdf/20190131/pdf/4428x3sbkypgk3.pdf

Edited by Guest123456789
Typo

14 hours ago, flatheadluke said:

Canavan convinced fed libs and Scomo to give a Perth mining company over a million bucks of taxpayer funds  to conduct seismic testing that will kill doilies, tuna, all sorts off offshore species from box head to Norah head

https://www.asx.com.au/asxpdf/20190131/pdf/4428x3sbkypgk3.pdf

@flatheadluke, I have been following the same in different articles --  the press has been very selective in reporting on this... apparently the companies involved already did some 2D seismic testing in April 2018.... when before conducting the testing data had shown that 2D testing was also acknowledged to interrupt normal behaviours such as feeding, breeding and nursing, and cause displacement from the area (short or long term). Similar risks were documented for fish, lobster and zooplankton. 

...and here on Fishraider in the latter part of  last year we have been wondering and discussing our own observations of reduced fish stocks.

The damage caused to fish stock and marine life in general by seismic testing needs to be understood by all voting Fishraiders and anyone with general interested in ongoing enjoyment of the marine environment that we are blessed with.

I was shocked when I learnt this is the area they plan to test and possible drill for oil .... if it goes ahead, we can pretty well say goodbye to fishing between Newcastle to Sydney and out to the shelf folks...

image.png.86904cf9a9950710fc0d921bbbb0dcd6.png

I'll quote and article below to explain 3D seismic testing.... which is a step up from the 2D testing already conducted:

"Seismic surveys utilize arrays of airguns to produce powerful sound waves. Sudden releases of pressurized air bubbles create the sound source, with up to 20 guns fired at the same time, while “streamers” of hydrophones listen for echoes. Using sophisticated acoustic processing, these echoes can provide information about geological structures up to 40 kilometers below the sea floor. Seismic surveys are used by the oil and gas industry in its search for new hydrocarbon deposits and the monitoring of reservoirs as they are emptied. The “source level” of most airgun arrays can be 200 to 240 decibels (dB) (in water). There is a difference of about 60 dB when converting the sound level from water to air, so in air, the airgun sound level would be about 140 to 180 dB. For comparison, a loud rock concert is about 120dB and a jet engine at 100 feet is about 140dB. A typical seismic air gun array pulled by a ship might fire its compressed air bubbles into the ocean five or six times a minute — more than 7,000 shots in 24 hours. " 

Some effects on marine life:

"Exposure to very high intensity noise can cause direct physiological damage, such as tissue or cell ruptures. ... this is basically a temporary loss of hearing, ... Permanent threshold shift, which is in effect permanent partial hearing loss, is also possible after incidental exposure to extremely loud sound or chronic exposure to moderately loud sounds,...

At least twice (once in the Gallapagos, and once in the Sea of Cortez) whale beachings have occurred coincidentally with seismic surveys. Although the biological effects of displacement/harassment by noise are not well studied, there is some evidence of long-term hearing damage in cetaceans (based on studies of beached dolphins, both living and dead, about half of which show signs of compromised auditory systems—... 

There is also evidence that seismic testing can scare fish away from the reefs that are their normal habitat. 

And it isn't just large marine mammals that are killed or injured by seismic testing. A study published in journal Nature Ecology and Evolution, adds to the body of evidence that the loud noises produced during oil and gas exploration can disrupt marine life. For this study, researchers wanted to see what the effects are on the sea’s base of the food chain, the zooplankton. The researchers blasted airguns in the ocean off southern Tasmania, and checked zooplankton populations before and after by using sonar and nets. The abundance of these tiny creatures dropped by 64 percent within one hour of the blast, the study says. Two to three times as many zooplankton were also found dead — and the impacts were recorded as far away as 0.7 miles.  "

http://www.beachapedia.org/Seismic_Surveys

....But we are told the planned tests are going to be OK, as they are following best practices for environmental protection  - wait for it:

a) they will have government observers on board to watch for marine life (yes we pay for these jobs) but they don't explain how these observers operate overnight or in low visibility conditions as the tests are planned for 24hrs over many days/weeks?  BTW, these observers must be seriously gifted people -- I'd love to take them fishing so they can "observe" and tell me where I should fish - apparently they have the gift to see really deep in the water !!

b) they fire  "soft warning shots " before the seismic testing begins to allow all fauna to leave the area. Seriously !!! I understand humans have learnt what a siren or warning sounds like... but when did we educate marine life to recognise that...also pity the poor crab trying to crawl a few kilometers to "leave the area" !!! 

Anyway, as you can see this has me hot under the collar... and wondering how is this happening under my nose. I guess its up to us to get informed and take a stance on what matters to us. Several countries (eg New Zealand) have banned seismic testing so it can be done.

Cheers Zoran

https://www.theherald.com.au/story/5842627/search-for-gas-more-seismic-testing-planned-off-newcastles-coast/

https://coastcommunitynews.com.au/central-coast/news/2018/12/petroleum-exploration-permit-allows-seismic-testing-off-coast/

https://www.saveourcoast.org.au/

Edited by zmk1962
  • Like 1

Guest Guest123456789

Thanks for sharing @zmk1962. Last year the libs tried to lock me out of my fishing spots. This year they’re trying to blow it up!

Zoran, its sad really, im sure part of the reason for lockouts is so resource companies can do their work unobserved by the general public. The only solutions either side of the mainstream political parties have for the country are 1. fill it with people- worry about infrastrucure later, 2. dig crap out of the ground as fast as possible to the highest bidder3. silence the people who really care about the environment (fishers, hunters, farmers) and build stadiums to entertain the masses. Sounds like the final days of Rome really. 

• Like 1

Guest Guest123456789

As stupid as she is, at least she listens to anglers. Vote one nation and pauline pantsdown! The least sh@t choice

Edited by Guest123456789
Typo

Seen the latest proposal from federal Labor- a tax on the sale of boats-guess what "cause we are all rich", so not only will tthey lock us out , we wont be able to sell our boats after we cant fish!!!

• Sad 3