tough cod bite

dirvin21

Me and a good mate headed out to Ashford for a cod overnighter, thought we might be in for a struggle judging how dry it looked on the trip out but we arrived to find the river looking perfect got the kayaks on the water and started casting.

That was where the positive confidance ended, we cast the spinnerbaits for ages with one swirl as a result, after casting a snag multiple times with a spinnerbait grabbed my spare rod with a 5" curly tail plastic rigged weedless and put a cast in the same snag, it was instantly hit no fish but soemthing.  Kept working along the river casting the plastic with the occasional hit and miss, with the day getting on and a long paddle back to camp I came to a small backwater for a last ditch effort at a fish.

The area was narrow and fairly shallow, running a cast along some rock  trenches under an overhang the plastic just disappeared with the road loading up I couldn't believe it a fish, he fought hard for a small fish but soon had him yak side

P1000346.JPG.ffa48117c5c4c8f961095a2b91afb185.JPG

A 45cm fish but didin't care it was a fish

worked to the end of the backwater and heading back out saw a similar bit to the where I'd caught the fish that I hadn't casted on the way in, so cast along there and sure enough a thump on the line, I was dumbfounded when I realised the dark shape in the water was the fish as it took off, staright away this was a better class of fish, what I've been trying to catch for ages, all hell broke loose got dragged up into trees my spare rod got tangle in branches made for some frantic untangling, got nervous once I realised the fish had swallowed the plastic and only running 20lb leader, finally got the upper hand and decided to lip grip and land the fish onshore rather than in the yak

P1000360.JPG.1f47dab2a9279230e6bb4aefea1a320b.JPG

ended up measuring 66cm not a monster but a beast for the water it came out of and destroyed my previous pb of 52cm

P1000357.JPG.77b122c809325aaae3a79bf50b3e59b4.JPG

and really heavy, had to reach inside the mouth to get the lure out left me with "cod fist"

P1000364.JPG.4f9a4bbc93a2b6cf2f0ed8ec088b8b8b.JPG

came from a shallow skinny piece of water 

P1000366.JPG.c6d41fffb8895dda159d5eacc7f22ee3.JPG

that was it for fish kept casting all the way back to camp but didn't matter I had a smile from ear to ear 

cheers for reading 

Dave

• Like 4

Well done Dave,its requireing a lot more effot to get a cod to bite at the moment so you have done well to get those fish. It must have really deep throated the lure as cod fingers is usually not cod fist. Once again mate top effort in these trying times. 

Cheers Scotty 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Mmg said:

Good catch.

hope a good flood comes soon as that water looks bordering on stagnant.

The river was actually pretty good because they're letting water out ot pindari dam, the surrounding land looks terrible, water in the pic only looks crappy because it's a backwater with minimal flow off the main river 

• 2 weeks later...

Another lovely read with top pics Dave. Well done on the new pb. I love the way which you describe the action, it's what keeps us chasing these iconic fish. Easy to see how we get Cod fist or thumb when you feel those teeth. Not much chance of their prey getting away from them eh? Cheers, bn

• Like 1