Solid Squid Session 27/2

SydneyIsSkyBlue

Hi Raiders,

It's been a while since I've been on here (and also a while since I could get near any water to throw a line in) but thought I'd provide my first report.

Headed down south today to the Hacking after having the afternoon off work and decided to chase some squid. Got down there just as the tide was starting to roll in, turned out to be some very windy and rainy conditions which wasn't anticipated given the forecast I'd read this morning. Casting straight into the wind for the first 10-15 minutes was proving a problem to get any sort of distance, so I moved around to try and get some shelter from the rocks and on my second cast the first one struck. The guy on the left of the photo measured a 25cm hood - thought I was snagged initially until it start to peel some line. From there on, things quieted down for about an hour before I got my second squid (the small one on the right). 

The other two in the middle followed about 15 minutes later in quick succession with one of them coming out very angry and tried to paint my clothes black as soon as it hit the surface of the water and got close enough to see me. Had me questioning why I was wearing a white top (idiot!). The red jig seemed to really do the trick today!

Anyway, dinner sorted for tomorrow. Most likely going to quickly sear these guys on a super hot BBQ and cook them Greek-style. Olive oil, lemon, dried oregano and garlic!

Screen Shot 2019-02-27 at 10.44.57 pm.png

Edited by SydneyIsSkyBlue
  • Like 8

Very easy @61 crusher.

Once I've cleaned the squid, I soak it in milk for 24 hours or so (can also be kiwi fruit or any of the other things most people use to tenderise squid). Then open the hoods up and score them in a cross pattern, keep the tentacles for BBQing also. I then take them out of the milk and marinate them in extra virign olive oil, dried oregano leaves, grated fresh garlic and cracked pepper until ready to BBQ. The BBQ has to be super hot - I slap them on until they're slightly charred like the photo and then finish them with a squeeze of lemon, salt and a drizzle of olive oil. Hope you enjoy! :)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SydneyIsSkyBlue said:

Very easy @61 crusher.

Once I've cleaned the squid, I soak it in milk for 24 hours or so (can also be kiwi fruit or any of the other things most people use to tenderise squid). Then open the hoods up and score them in a cross pattern, keep the tentacles for BBQing also. I then take them out of the milk and marinate them in extra virign olive oil, dried oregano leaves, grated fresh garlic and cracked pepper until ready to BBQ. The BBQ has to be super hot - I slap them on until they're slightly charred like the photo and then finish them with a squeeze of lemon, salt and a drizzle of olive oil. Hope you enjoy! :)

Thanks for that, Can’t wait to give it a go, the kiwi fruit works well & the tenticals always get cooked, got to be the best part of the squid I.M.O

14 hours ago, SydneyIsSkyBlue said:

Very easy @61 crusher.

YUM.....nice feed there.

On 3/4/2019 at 10:12 PM, Hateanchors said:

Why do you soak them? Fresh caught squid has a taste and texture (awesome snap when you bite it) that you can’t beat anywhere. 

Personal preference is to have them a bit more tender. I hear what you say on the textural component to fresh squid though.

On 3/4/2019 at 10:03 PM, SydneyIsSkyBlue said:

@61 crusher This was just done on a normal BBQ but also really nice over charcoal if you're bothered with the extra bit of trouble!

Keen to hear what you think once you try it mate!

Will do as soon as I get an opportunity to get a few for a feed, can’t wait to give it a go 

• Like 1

On 3/4/2019 at 10:03 PM, SydneyIsSkyBlue said:

@61 crusher This was just done on a normal BBQ but also really nice over charcoal if you're bothered with the extra bit of trouble!

Keen to hear what you think once you try it mate!

Tried it last night & everyone loved it, surprisingly the squid still had a bit of snap to it, yummo 👍

• Like 1