Boat No go !!!

frankS

Bloody hell I can't take a trick lately, was planning on a trip down to Bermagui for a bit of R and R + fishing and thought I better run the motor to check water and all that sort of stuff ( long way to tow it to find something wrong ) well that chinaman I ran over several times lately struck again. The motor won't turn over, tried battery check OK tried linier connection check OK tried going between gear and neutral with wiggles etc NOTHING choke works so wiring OK . Check all wires make sure everything tight check OK . Think it's either starter motor or solenoid . will have a play tomorrow just too upset now to be bothered. Something is telling me to jive this game up.

Frank

32 minutes ago, frankS said:

just too upset now to be bothered. Something is telling me to jive this game up.

Never 😨

Maybe just get a proper professional service instead of trying to do all things yourself mate??

Mind you I know where your coming from though, I try to do as much as I  can with my limited knowledge on the mechanical things I own but there are things I guess I am just not prepared to touch.

Never touched a boat motor so happy to pay someone to look after it, BUT I would like to learn!

Im sure my 25HP Mercury seapro wouldn't be to hard to service/maintain but don't thing Id like to do stuff to a 250HP version.

Cars, well I can do a bit there on things that come under the regular service banner.

Hope you get it sorted frank.

Edited by kingie chaser

Kingie. Last time I got a pro to fit a impella and just a general check over I got the bill $700 and that was a site sponsor where I thought I was gonna get a reasonable deal, you know mates rates. Last time. If I can't fix it tomorrow when I'm feeling a bit more at ease I will fit another motor I have down the back. That just needs another carb.

Think it's something simple. will try a few tricks. have checked fuse etc starter not jammed .

Frank

1 hour ago, frankS said:

Kingie. Last time I got a pro to fit a impella and just a general check over I got the bill $700 and that was a site sponsor where I thought I was gonna get a reasonable deal, you know mates rates. Last time. If I can't fix it tomorrow when I'm feeling a bit more at ease I will fit another motor I have down the back. That just needs another carb.

Think it's something simple. will try a few tricks. have checked fuse etc starter not jammed .

Frank

Im hearing you frank.

I recently got my Triton serviced & they wanted to do a couple of things out of the service cycle like replace the air & fuel filter which with factory parts & fitting was going to be around $350 so I got a Ryco 3 filter kit off fleabay that included oil, air & fuel filter for $110 & did the job myself.

Im not paying a business $120hr + parts to change an air & fuel filter.

I must admit the fuel filter type Id never seen before but a quick google & Ryco had a youtube on how to do the exact job on the exact vehicle.

Love the internet!

Edited by kingie chaser

2 hours ago, frankS said:

Bloody hell I can't take a trick lately, was planning on a trip down to Bermagui for a bit of R and R + fishing and thought I better run the motor to check water and all that sort of stuff ( long way to tow it to find something wrong ) well that chinaman I ran over several times lately struck again. The motor won't turn over, tried battery check OK tried linier connection check OK tried going between gear and neutral with wiggles etc NOTHING choke works so wiring OK . Check all wires make sure everything tight check OK . Think it's either starter motor or solenoid . will have a play tomorrow just too upset now to be bothered. Something is telling me to jive this game up.

Frank

First up, is it making any kind of sound at all when you turn the switch to start? 

Hateanchors. No not a sound, the choke works and I can hear it clicking on and off but when I turn the key it does nothing. Electrics are not my thing so if it's electrical I'm stuffed. I don't want to keep turning the key cause a few years ago I had a similar situation with a 40hp Tohatsu motor and ended up burning the cdi out.

Frank

Edited by frankS

44 minutes ago, kingie chaser said:

Im hearing you frank.

I recently got my Triton serviced & they wanted to do a couple of things out of the service cycle like replace the air & fuel filter which with factory parts & fitting was going to be around $350 so I got a Ryco 3 filter kit off fleabay that included oil, air & fuel filter for $110 & did the job myself.

Im not paying a business $120hr + parts to change an air & fuel filter.

I must admit the fuel filter type Id never seen before but a quick google & Ryco had a youtube on how to do the exact job on the exact vehicle.

Love the internet!

I'm with you mate....$120 hr or more when quite often they have a snotty nose 1st year apprentice doing the job. I'm not having a go at the apprentice by the way, as they all have to learn.......its the business owner that sh*ts me for what they do.

Frank, 

Just to exhaust all suggestions no matter how simple,  have you checked if the motor is slightly in gear or is something a little stuck in the throttle lever or gear box? so the motor thinks it is in gear so it won't try to kick? I had this happen many years ago. I was trying everything and so I clunked the gear stick in and and out of gear forward/neutral and reverse a couple of times and it went. Most key start motors will have a safety system like automatic cars that wont let it try to start if it is in gear. The other one as mentioned by others was, is the killswitch (safety killswitch on the little cord) misbehaving or not engaging properly?

You might be able to check if the motor is actually in gear by trying to spin the propellor with your hands. It should spin freely in neutral but wont if it is in gear. This will only tell you if the motor is actually in gear, not if the switches are just confused and they think it is in gear.

Edited by Captain Spanner