How is everyone storing their soft plastics?

Berrero

After having some success and really getting into soft plastics I decided to load up a bit on the popular ones (grubz, slim swims, paddle tails, gulp crawfish and prawns, etc) and bought one of the soft plastic wallets with zip lock bags. 

Have had to clean out the wallet twice now from the gulp plastics leaking, the juice also got into some zman sleeves and messed up some of those, I tried putting them in a clean new take out container and lost a good 30 or so from them melting a bit and sticking together.  Also had zman leech through the plastic pouches? As in the colour bled through the clear plastic bag and marked the outside of other bags...?

Always kept them out of the sun in a backpack, I think maybe the take out containers reacted with them? I gave the container and plastics a good wash off and dry before they went in too..

Have settled in the mean time for a clip lock storage container with one of the rubber seal orings. Just wondering if I'll face the same consequences as the take out container and wondering what everyone else uses?

Chris

Edited by Berrero

21 minutes ago, Berrero said:

After having some success and really getting into soft plastics I decided to load up a bit on the popular ones (grubz, slim swims, paddle tails, gulp crawfish and prawns, etc) and bought one of the soft plastic wallets with zip lock bags. 

Have had to clean out the wallet twice now from the gulp plastics leaking, the juice also got into some zman sleeves and messed up some of those, I tried putting them in a clean new take out container and lost a good 30 or so from them melting a bit and sticking together.  Also had zman leech through the plastic pouches? As in the colour bled through the clear plastic bag and marked the outside of other bags...?

Always kept them out of the sun in a backpack, I think maybe the take out containers reacted with them? I gave the container and plastics a good wash off and dry before they went in too..

Have settled in the mean time for a clip lock storage container with one of the rubber seal orings. Just wondering if I'll face the same consequences as the take out container and wondering what everyone else uses?

Chris

Nice report Chris  and some strong advice

I simply keep all my plastics in their original packets.

They all have a resealable top and just ensure they are kept top up so they can't spill, specially gulp with the juice in the packs.

As a rule of thumb, I never mix colours or brands and have never experienced any of the issues you describe.

Im running my gulps out & slowly getting more plastics that do not require to be kept in the solution.

I take them all out of the packet when I open it & I use these from Bunnings, they work well but just don't overfill with the gulp solution!

Of course gulp have their own container with the recharge solution as well

container.thumb.jpg.a13393c4a7af70c84a7bf22778ee872f.jpg

I have mine in large wallet that has velcrome on bottom to hold onto tackle storage , holds about 20 packets of plastics. I have 2 of these and this one is just about due for renewal .

1815515949_plasticswallett.thumb.jpg.ef16952c7fcfcb5952dc3321fe37141e.jpg

119872811_plasticsjigs.thumb.jpg.3deb8e33bde73b21792c895295740555.jpg

2069687694_plasticsstorage2.thumb.jpg.12bba0e2efea784bcae68a0de812e9c6.jpg

1630470582_plasticsstorage.thumb.jpg.f097220e34b16fb5e381817a62e0a022.jpg

Frank

Just my opinion but those gulp packets with rhe recharge liquid are a PITA to try & keep closed & they continually leak & make everything smell like shite.

That why I change them into the air tight container once I've opened them.

Each to thier own.

I went from gulps to z-mans to avoid the mess of leaking packets. I prefer zmans as there is no juice to leak, and you don't have to worry about them drying out. I just keep em in their packets in a zip up wallet that holds quite a few packs. 

If you're using cheap plastic containers, they can melt the SP's. Also, different types of SPs (or any other plastic lures for that matter) can melt together. I've lost many a brand new soft vibe and cranka crabs because they've been left in contact with an SP and melted together. 

I noticed recently the gulps being marketed with a new and improved seal on the packet. I'm not sure if they're any better as I still don't used them. Would be good to hear if other people have noticed an improvement in the packet recently. 

i have z-mans, berkley powerbaits & berkley gulps all in a little Rogue Soft Plastics Wallet and never had an issue with any of them leaking out of their original packaging.

with the soft plastics wallet its like having them double bagged, so that is nice

• 2 weeks later...

Use original packets, don't mix brands or colours, keep gulp packets upright and double check ziplock is fully sealed (often forget a little section cause I just wanna fish!). There are these special containers that are marked as "zman safe", not sure if they still make em but worth looking into if you want to carry a few only. I nowadays use zmans and powerbaits, and the odd AliExpress soft plastic.

I like the idea of grabbing a couple of packs only and seeing what I can catch using just them.

I use mostly Zmans these days though still take plenty of old non-Zman rubber .

I do store Zman in original bags however instead of taking half of dozen of Zman bags to the water I use one Zman bag and fill it with varios Zman SPs, and then refill it at home if required.

If I am not sure(forgot) if some old SP is Zman or not - I just keep it in small separate bag.

I use a mix of squidgies, zmans and gulps. I've tried many different storage methods and have just gone back to keeping them in their original packaging. Squidgies are the easiest of the bunch to store and use I've found.