Shimano Tyrnos 20 2 Speed - How To Remove Spool?

So... I finally bought a new rod to suit my Tyrnos 20 2 speed that I picked up on a local FB buy, swap and sell page a while back (new in box for $250 😎). Christened both with a few small dollies on Thursday. I had it spooled with 10kg IGFA rated mono but... I forgot to put the rod clamp on first and I can’t get the screws in there with the spool in place. I removed the left side plate of the reel but couldn’t seem to remove the spool. Do I just simply remove the right side plate (handle side) to get the spool out? Or should it come out with the left plate off? If so, what am I doing wrong. As it’s new, I’m reluctant to disassemble it more than necessary. TIA.

11 minutes ago, frankS said:

Just wind the line onto another spool or bottle or something else and once the line is off there will be room to place the bolts through the frame.

Frank

Thanks Frank. I thought of that but I thought it would be quicker to remove a few screws than wind off 700m of line plus leader and wind it back on again!... assuming I could fit 700m on, say, my Alvey.

Yes I forgot everyone hasn't got the means to quickly and effortlessly unwind a spool.

I simply put a large spool in my lathe and wind the line off, variable speed so I can wind it as slow or as fast as the bearings etc can stand.

You can use a power drill to do the same job just means you have to hold the drill while winding unless you have a hands free stand for it. 

Anyhow I think you need to remove the handle side plate to remove the spool , not sure as I have never owned one of those reels.

Someone on here will help with the right advise.

Frank

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, frankS said:

Yes I forgot everyone hasn't got the means to quickly and effortlessly unwind a spool.

I simply put a large spool in my lathe and wind the line off, variable speed so I can wind it as slow or as fast as the bearings etc can stand.

You can use a power drill to do the same job just means you have to hold the drill while winding unless you have a hands free stand for it. 

Anyhow I think you need to remove the handle side plate to remove the spool , not sure as I have never owned one of those reels.

Someone on here will help with the right advise.

Frank

I have a little battery powered spool stripper which I use to remove old line but it just falls to the floor (I pick it up and cut it up before throwing in the bin). As it’s brand new line, I do t want to just let it fall on the floor and possibly tangle. I’ll try taking the handle side off this arvo.

Edited by Berleyguts

23 minutes ago, frankS said:

I would wait to see if someone with know how answers before going ahead with taking things apart. It's not like you need to use it today , OR is it ?.

Frank

No! I already used it without the clamp. Might want it on Monday.

Just go and buy a cheap plastic hand line spool, and wind it onto that, it will only take a short while, or if you're lucky, you will find one with a solid centre with kind of spokes, you can put that in a battery drill using a bolt and nut to hold it, I have one I keep for just that purpose, works a treat.

3 hours ago, rickmarlin62 said:

remove right side and whole assembly shoul come out intact spool and mechanism

Thanks Rick. The right side plate! I guess that makes sense, since the gears and handle are on that side. I would have been trying to pull all that through to the left! Look out... that’s now 8 rods I take out with me! 😂

1 minute ago, nutsaboutfishing said:

I drill a hole in the lid of a 2L soft drink bottle, sticky tape the drill bit to the bottle and just turn on the drill.

Works well with braid, not sure about mono

How does it go with 700m of line?

1 minute ago, kingfishbig said:

You wouldn't have to take all the line off - just enough to get the clamp bolts in.

That’s what I ended up doing. Wound it onto this big hand reel (after I removed the teaser). Took off maybe 200m - enough to just get the screws in on an angle and then work them through. All secure now. Thanks!

B363A4BD-62E3-44FC-BCCD-E338818E40C0.jpeg