Windy Gold

I’d planned a trip to take the boys bass fishing at Lake Lyell but after receiving a hot tip about big yella schools on flats and trees at Windy I couldn’t decide what to do so I did both. 

Loaded the 2 sleeping boys into the car at 4am hoping to get some first light bass action at Lake Lyell. 

Fished from 6am to 10am over and around the weed with lipless and bibbed crankbaits. Caught plenty of redfin mostly small but a few decent ones for a feed no sign of a bass. 

Arrived at Windamere around 11:30 with usual stop at the playground for the kids while I get the boat ready. 

Then headed to the spot where I had been told the fish were stacked on a large flat. 

Motored around thinking I had been lead up the garden path for a while until I came across the right spot and as described fish were everywhere. 

Started fishing vertical with black 3 inch gulp grubs which had 2 fish in the boat quickly. Unfortunately that was the only 2 black grubs I had in the boat. The fish weren’t interested in other colours or yabbie imitations. 

38368A48-9A5B-4A11-9222-01AFDEE4B64E.jpeg

After and hour of no fish I tied on a black Jackall Transam. First cast missed a fish and caught two from the next two casts. Then the boys had had enough and wanted to go home. So after 10 last casts and 2 more fish landed we headed for home.

B4AF7BE5-2B67-4D31-A062-354CED3AFA2D.jpeg

Disappointing not to land a bass but a fun day overall. 

Cheers, Trav

Edited by T_Bert83
  • Like 7

15 hours ago, masterfisho7 said:

Well done great photos nice to see you and the boys having fun Trav 

Thanks mate always good getting the boys out. 

15 hours ago, Blackfish said:

Nice Yellowbelly and GREAT photos of the 3 of you.

Take the photos "Straight to the Poolroom"

Cheers mate, yeah there’s quite a collection in the pool room now

14 hours ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

Fantastic and making good memories with your children 

Thanks it’s hard work but they absolutely love it. 

4 hours ago, Scratchie said:

That’s a great report Trav! Quality family time and quality fish too! Well done 👍 

cheers scratchie!!! 

Cheers Scratchie this time of year is set aside for family adventures it’ll be to cold soon. 

3 hours ago, zmk1962 said:

Champion effort Trav ... lifelong memories there ! 

Cheers Zoran

That’s for sure cheers mate. 

3 hours ago, Berleyguts said:

Nice goldens! And golden memories! Great read!

Thanks mate 

On 3/4/2019 at 6:26 PM, 61 crusher said:

Great report & photos, they sure know how to handle a rod & net, that’s awesome 😎 well done

Thanks mate they are getting better. It’s only cost me one landing net and makes me nervous every time they use one of my good rods. 

Interesting comments about the Yellas a) being piled up in one area b)only taking one colour (albeit BLACK).

I haven't fished Windamere but know lots of anglers who have...most would have the same opinion that I have, colour isn't as important as location and movement. However, I have learned to make exceptions for BLACK and WHITE. There are definitely light conditions where these work much better than most. I am enjoying your posts a lot Trav, learning a lot too. Hope that some time down the track we can wet a line. Would be good to learn some new tricks from a guru.

TIP: Cut lengths of a pool noodle up, split them and wrap tightly around things that won't float (landing nets, lure retrieving poles, etc). The item should float long enough to retrieve if it inadvertently goes overboard. Speaking from experience here.

Cheers, bn

@big Neil I agree with you mate it’s more about lure selection and presentation however black is definitely a go to colour for windy but by no means is it the only one that works. I’ve had days where they would only eat fluoro orange ignoring everything else 🤷‍♂️.

Another topic that raises a lot of debate is scent. Windamere has made me a believer in using scent as well. I was fishing side by side with a good mate same lures, same technique only difference was he was using scent after going 5-0 down I swallowed my pride and put scent on and landed 2 fish from next 2 casts. Possibly a coincidence but it made me a believer and I now use it all the time.

I look forward to getting out for a fish hopefully soon cheers, Trav

16 minutes ago, T_Bert83 said:

@big Neil I agree with you mate it’s more about lure selection and presentation however black is definitely a go to colour for windy but by no means is it the only one that works. I’ve had days where they would only eat fluoro orange ignoring everything else 🤷‍♂️.

Another topic that raises a lot of debate is scent. Windamere has made me a believer in using scent as well. I was fishing side by side with a good mate same lures, same technique only difference was he was using scent after going 5-0 down I swallowed my pride and put scent on and landed 2 fish from next 2 casts. Possibly a coincidence but it made me a believer and I now use it all the time.

I look forward to getting out for a fish hopefully soon cheers, Trav

We all know that fish have an acute sense of smell and can hone in on some scents from different baits, so it is highly likely that the scent applied to lures /soft plastics attracts fish. It is also of benefit when a fish mouths a lure that the lure appears more natural. bn