Ecogear Aqua review and suggestions

horsleyboy

Hi fishos,

So i went on a fishing trip around Swansea last weekend with the guys, mainly for Bream, Squid, Flathead and Snapper. In the lead up to the weekend, i did a bit of research on catching bream, as lately i've been focusing on targeting and mastering Flathead. After extensive research, the name that kept popping up was Ecogear Aqua.

So i purchased the pepper and the Aussie Prawn colours in the 40 size, bought a few 1/32 size 1 jigs and off we went.

I must say, very ricky compared to the Gulp Minnow softies i use for flathead. These are very very soft, very small and slippery little suckers. Yes they attracted fish, and i caught mainly undersized snapper, but damn they're very soft! First one i had trouble getting on to the anti-slide barbs on the jig and tore that one to bits, then from then on, the smaller bait fish just gnawed at the to the point where there was nothing left but the jig!

Am i doing something wrong here? I love fishing with soft plastics. Love the longevity vs bait fishing and love nailing a technique that i know works for that species, so would love to keep using them (the right way).

Thanks,
Nick

You are probably not doing anything wrong in particular. Those lures do attract a lot of attention even if dead-sticked. If you can feel the bites and are striking to set hooks then it's possible the fish are pickers (small fish, toadies, small jackets etc.). In that case, move on from that spot or try more resilient lures. 

6 hours ago, nutsaboutfishing said:

I reckon you're better off with Zman plastics,  they're very resilient  and they catch fish

x 2 on the zmans...... the standard of ecogear has dropped from quality to garbage but the price has stayed the same

I had a feeling it was just a bad spot with little nippers. I did catch some nice snapper with it though, which is a first for me.

I do like the material ZMan is made from. Very strong. I stick with Gulp though as for me, it's tried and tested and works alllll the time. I've still got original Gulp from a few years ago that have a few teeth marks and no tail, but still catch fish. Others are completely in tact and a few years old and still catch fish.

What colours do you use in the ZMan nutsaboutfishing and dirvin21? I've tried the ghost/pearl.

Looking forward to getting out again to give the Aquas another crack.

Thanks everyone.

On ‎3‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 11:04 AM, horsleyboy said:

What colours do you use in the ZMan nutsaboutfishing and dirvin21? I've tried the ghost/pearl.

in the salt pearl, greasy prawn, bloodworm, bubblegum, copper

in the fresh gudgeon and black

• Like 1

19 hours ago, dirvin21 said:

in the salt pearl, greasy prawn, bloodworm, bubblegum, copper

in the fresh gudgeon and black

+ 1 from me for Zman ... I've been trying a few different colours lately and enjoying some success with bream and flatties using SwimZ and Grubz in Midnight Oil and Watermelon Red Sparkle