Jervis Bay Boat Ramps

GoingFishing

Gday Raiders

Doing a day trip down to JB this weekend and would love some pointers on boat ramps.

At this stage it looks like il be trying the ramp at calala. My boat is a 6.2m plate boat

Is there anything special about this ramp that i should know? Does it get full early and what is vehicle safety like?

Edited by GoingFishing

Ill update it for you. Absolute shit. Sand build up has made it basically unusable to any reasonable sized boat on all but the top of the tide. Driving on is pretty well impossible due to how shallow it is. With two very capable trailer backers you will get two trailers down there but the guy on the left as you look down the ramp will have to climb out his window as the design of the ramp will not allow him to open his car door.

One of the poorest thought out and designed ramp upgrades i think i've seen. It really is a shame. If they had spoken to some of the locals and garnered their advice im sure a better design could have produced a more workable ramp.

50 minutes ago, New Signing said:

Ill update it for you. Absolute shit. Sand build up has made it basically unusable to any reasonable sized boat on all but the top of the tide. Driving on is pretty well impossible due to how shallow it is. With two very capable trailer backers you will get two trailers down there but the guy on the left as you look down the ramp will have to climb out his window as the design of the ramp will not allow him to open his car door.

One of the poorest thought out and designed ramp upgrades i think i've seen. It really is a shame. If they had spoken to some of the locals and garnered their advice im sure a better design could have produced a more workable ramp.

Thanks. So what do u recommend? Is there a better ramp to go to

Jervis Bay is really deprived of quality launching facilities for bigger boats.

I can launch from Myola (no Wharf) on half tide or better or Woolamia on any tide. Both of these are into the creek. 

Murrays while appearing a decent design has silted up to the point it is unusable for me.

Vincentia and honey moon bay are both launching over a rock shelf. Neither are really suitable for me

3 hours ago, GoingFishing said:

I find it hard to believe that there is no ramp capable of launching a 6.2m plate boat in jervis at the moment.  So say fishing mecca and trailer boat heaven

As i said Woolamia is you best option for larger boats. Its basically in Huskisson

• Like 1

I have just come back from a 3 day trip to JB. Woolamia ramp was fine for my 6m Tomahawk, I cannot see you having any issues there. The 4 knot run out is a draw back, and try to avoid a low tide return to the entrance as it is very shallow at low tide. I would not and do not use any other ramp at JB these days.

I have used Murray's but it was a fair while ago, so bow to any more recent knowledge of its condition.

I hope it helps, and enjoy your trip.

Regards

Geoff.

53 minutes ago, GeoffP04 said:

I have just come back from a 3 day trip to JB. Woolamia ramp was fine for my 6m Tomahawk, I cannot see you having any issues there. The 4 knot run out is a draw back, and try to avoid a low tide return to the entrance as it is very shallow at low tide. I would not and do not use any other ramp at JB these days.

I have used Murray's but it was a fair while ago, so bow to any more recent knowledge of its condition.

Regards

Geoff.

Thanks for the reply. How shallow mate ?

2 hours ago, GeoffP04 said:

Regards

Geoff.

Hi geoff

Also, whats it like to drive out through the creek at night. Is it too dangerous. I plan on launching very early to make the most of the day and also want to catch some livies

Edited by GoingFishing

Shallow enough that I had to trim the motor up a fair bit to stop it plowing through the sand. Around 0.5m, still doable, just with care.  I should have looked at the tide chart a bit closer....

The creek is well marked and you will not have any issues in the dark. Sunrise is 6:30ish at the minute.  The first couple of hundred metres is all you need to worry about with the markers as the rest is between the moored vessels. Pretty hard to muck it up.

Watch the shallow ground out front of the entrance, it is well marked as well and is not visible once the tide covers it (all rock).

Plenty of jackets causing grief throughout the bay, and lots of undersize kings, saw plenty of bait on the sounder, but struggled to get them up in a burley trail. We were getting pushed around by unfavourable winds though.

Hope the weather is better for you. 

Regards.

22 hours ago, GeoffP04 said:

Shallow enough that I had to trim the motor up a fair bit to stop it plowing through the sand. Around 0.5m, still doable, just with care.  I should have looked at the tide chart a bit closer....

The creek is well marked and you will not have any issues in the dark. Sunrise is 6:30ish at the minute.  The first couple of hundred metres is all you need to worry about with the markers as the rest is between the moored vessels. Pretty hard to muck it up.

Watch the shallow ground out front of the entrance, it is well marked as well and is not visible once the tide covers it (all rock).

Plenty of jackets causing grief throughout the bay, and lots of undersize kings, saw plenty of bait on the sounder, but struggled to get them up in a burley trail. We were getting pushed around by unfavourable winds though.

Hope the weather is better for you. 

Regards.

Thanks for the advice mate much appreciated. Forecast for tomorrow looking pretty nasty....16-17 knot winds all day and 1.8m waves...... might have to reschedule 😭😭😭

On 3/7/2019 at 3:48 PM, New Signing said:

As i said Woolamia is you best option for larger boats. Its basically in Huskisson

That’s where I launch mine. Same experiences as @GeoffP04 already advised. Watch the channel markers closely especially in the first few 100m from boat ramp... its easy to miss the first one and head across a shallow patch. 

Also its easiest to launch and retrieve if you leave someone that can pilot the boat in the boat. The cross current is a bitch. Helps if someone stays on the boat and drives it to the trailer.

I have not used Murrays for years - national park entry fee, the car park is at least 200m from the ramp (walk down and up) so the car and trailer are pretty isolated and out of sight from boat ramp activity (security), the new breakwall walkway has been installed way too high to tie off a boat against, so you basically have to drop someone off to get the trailer, leave someone in the boat who takes it back out of the the narrow water space behind the breakwall and the ramp and then comes back in when you signal/call them.  I basically  find it a PITA to work around other boats in my heavier rig that does not have a tight turning circle so I avoid Murrays.

Cheers Zoran 

Edited by zmk1962
  • Like 1