Rod holder - angles for drifting vs anchoring

seasponge

I am looking to get some rod holders similar to those pictured below. 

rod1.jpg.16e21aa1e902018a263d663d0351eb72.jpgrod2.jpg.8dc7a44768ab2eef0181b5676b318402.jpg

The one on the left sits the rod quite flat. The one on the right is adjustable and the angle can be changed.

Would the angle of the rods for drifting be the same as when anchored up? Or would you normally have a slightly higher angle when on the drift? I like the stainless steel option on the left but will be wanting to use them whilst anchored as well as drifting. 

They are commonly called Snapper racks, and are a very Victorian thing, although some use them here too, I doubt it makes a lot of difference whether you are anchored or drifting, I kind of think those stainless ones seem to have a good chance of the rod being pulled right out of them, but I have never heard of it happening.

I use the one on the left both at anchor and drifting but 95% on the drift. I got it because I didnt want to clamp anything to the rail.  Works great and can move it around to the different rod holders in the boat would not use it trolling.

Edited by blaxland

I use a pair of heavy duty stainless holders when trolling minnows for mackeral to get a bit more spread without having to resort to my outriggers. I do use the safety lines and clips but never had an issue. For flattie fishing/light tackle I use Scotty rod holders very adjustable. Downrigging/marlin i just use the vertical holders. There is a definite advantage in some situations to be able to "hang" a bait - eg livebaiting for kings on a reef edge- I will use the heavy duty rod holder and leave the reel in gear and wait for the rod to load up- works a lot better this way rather than a vertical holder

I could post a few photos of the ones I make that twist up, down and around, but some members might think I am bragging . So for now I will keep these to myself. But I do make the straight forward 2 and 3 holders at any or all angles, but hard to keep 1 of each in boat so I have just gone to the Berkley plastic ones for the tinnie have 4 and move them from position to position as needed, I have extra brackets.

Frank

Edited by frankS

At those angles on both rod holders. I think it would be pretty hard for any fish to pull the rod out of the holder as it would pull the rod downwards stopping it from flying out. Unless the line is getting pull out at say 45° From a flying fish then you might have a problem haha

On ‎3‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 8:40 PM, xerotao said:

At those angles on both rod holders. I think it would be pretty hard for any fish to pull the rod out of the holder as it would pull the rod downwards stopping it from flying out. 

That was my thought initially. I ended up getting 1 of each of the rod holders, and with the rods in, out on the water, I just didn't feel confident. I ended up tethering the rods to the holders just in case. 

That one on the left is easier to get the rod in and out when you have a fish on. They also make them adjustable (adjust both vertical and horizontal angle). You still get a port and starboard one. I use them all the time for anchored or drifting. Just be mindful of how much drag you have on, I wouldn't have a kingy outfit locked up for example. The weld from the rack to the post is what bends. If you do get a fixed one you can gently bend the weld but i would get an adjust able set. i owned fixed ones for years before the adjustable ones came out. Some of the big marine suppliers stock them. Just be careful putting lighter outfits in there, how they sit. Those holders are designed to hold your rods parallel to the water. I do not ever drive with rods in them.

I have bolted in snapper racks in my boat, absolutely love them took them out when I first got my boat but wouldn't fish without them these days. Great fishing for reds, flatties etc use them while drifting & at anchor, even use them when I'm fishing plastics with 2 rods, never had a rod pop out of one and have had some solid fish hook up while in there.  All mine sit pretty much flat to the water, I would note that I don't find them suitable for rods with shorter butts and I would never troll etc with them 

• Like 1

I have the one on the right, here's my tips

Most of my new rods have a short butt, so you have to be careful when placing them into it, So I only use it for my long butt rods.

Do not travel with your rod in the holder, especially med to small butt rods, that's how I lost my brand new Shimano rod and Reel, got smashed by a tanker wave on the left and a fast moving 50ft cruiser on the right and bing it was gone, trying telling the wife the new $300+ combo you bought is gone.

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 1:15 PM, Mmg said:

Put 3 saver cords with dog Leash clips on them, cords only need to be 6" long,

clip them around the rod or reel. 

Easy to unclip if a fish bites or need to rebait

saved me loosing a few rodn reel combo,s over the years. 

yep, I like that idea