Broken Bay - Terrigal Fad 8/3/19

Fishy Firey

Out again this morning, 6am at Parsley Bay only to find the ramp packed (Thursday is garbage collection day and the barge from Dangar has to drop off and pick up garbage trucks), but with a little patience I was soon on the water. Today I thought I’d give west head bait grounds a miss and stick with lures only. Not too far out of BB and a frigate mackerel came aboard on a pink rapala x-rap 30 about half the size he was. At about the 70m mark the water temperature finally started to nudge up from the 21 degrees I was seeing nearer to shore, and out went the skirts. Watching the temperature slowly pass 23.5,  (nothing like the 27.1 I saw last trip) I turned to check how my lures were running and thought “Wow that short corner is leaving a hell of a bubble trail, and it’s bright blue! And it’s waving a broom stick!” Marlin in the spread! After swatting a the lure a couple of times he came out of the water and smashed it. It stayed attached for about 10 seconds, then he was gone😩. The lure needed checking as it wasn’t swimming right, so in it comes with a small mahi-mahi on. I think he was so small on the heavy gear I may have been trolling a livie accidentally and that’s what the marlin took (then dropped).  Trolled on to Terrigal Fad, some fair sized mahi-mahi there but hard to tempt. Picked up a 90cm mahi-mahi on the return trip, but no more beakie fish. 

Conditions were a little rough and the action slow, but that minute or so of watching that massive fish stalk my lure 30feet from the boat and 10 seconds of screaming reel, has pumped my addiction to a new level. I think this hit might last till I can get out again Monday, but man I’ve got it bad now...😉

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, Fishy Firey said:

Out again this morning, 6am at Parsley Bay only to find the ramp packed (Thursday is garbage collection day and the barge from Dangar has to drop off and pick up garbage trucks), but with a little patience I was soon on the water. Today I thought I’d give west head bait grounds a miss and stick with lures only. Not too far out of BB and a frigate mackerel came aboard on a pink rapala x-rap 30 about half the size he was. At about the 70m mark the water temperature finally started to nudge up from the 21 degrees I was seeing nearer to shore, and out went the skirts. Watching the temperature slowly pass 23.5,  (nothing like the 27.1 I saw last trip) I turned to check how my lures were running and thought “Wow that short corner is leaving a hell of a bubble trail, and it’s bright blue! And it’s waving a broom stick!” Marlin in the spread! After swatting a the lure a couple of times he came out of the water and smashed it. It stayed attached for about 10 seconds, then he was gone😩. The lure needed checking as it wasn’t swimming right, so in it comes with a small mahi-mahi on. I think he was so small on the heavy gear I may have been trolling a livie accidentally and that’s what the marlin took (then dropped).  Trolled on to Terrigal Fad, some fair sized mahi-mahi there but hard to tempt. Picked up a 90cm mahi-mahi on the return trip, but no more beakie fish. 

Conditions were a little rough and the action slow, but that minute or so of watching that massive fish stalk my lure 30feet from the boat and 10 seconds of screaming reel, has pumped my addiction to a new level. I think this hit might last till I can get out again Monday, but man I’ve got it bad now...😉

Its a painful addiction mate.

If your anything like me youl be obsessively daydreaming day and night until you get one 

I went out to the terrigal FAD gps coordinates on Sunday morning and couldn’t find it , spoke to a Mate who said there had been reports it was pulled under the surface by the current , did anyone see it out there on the weekend? 

Was a few small Dollies around in the vicinity 

D28FE1FA-5A3D-4227-A038-3D7248CD5D85.jpeg

3836364E-7E10-4ADB-987B-8AA50F70788F.jpeg