Port Hacking

Yowie

Headed out early to the mouth of South West Arm for a change, anchored near the weed bed and fished out into deeper water.

Was hoping for a few tailor that were swimming about a couple of weeks ago, but not a touch from any. Very few bait fish schools to be seen.

I caught a couple of large yakkas, so used them as strip baits which accounted for the bream and crabs. The crabs were in the deeper water, which is where they are around this time of year. (don't know why) The reddie took a pillie, only just made the grade, and plenty not far below the size limit.

A few small tuna buzzing about, probably frigates, but not interested in a lure.

Headed to Maianbar flats and pumped some nippers, then waded about in knee deep water for the whiting, until the tide became too high, so headed for home.

My daughter is having a BBQ on the weekend, so the relos will like some fillets on the barbee.

fish.jpeg_185.thumb.png.c691091dcd42d0afca41787fc6d0c487.png

• Like 7

3 hours ago, big Neil said:

You certainly know your way around the Hacking Yowie. Another successful day on the water and plenty of seafood for the bbq. How big do Frigates grow to? Are they Frigate Mackeral? bn

Yes, Frigate Mackerel.

The biggest I have caught weighed 3.5 pound, not measured, on 6 pound line. The reel was buzzing when the Frigate took off.

• Thanks 1

Great mixed bag as usual and I enjoy reading your reports you’ve really got your area sust out. Up my way the frigates are usually there but some days none or the odd one gets caught & the next day they are on fire, mainly on 10 to 15g metals

2 hours ago, 61 crusher said:

Great mixed bag as usual and I enjoy reading your reports you’ve really got your area sust out. Up my way the frigates are usually there but some days none or the odd one gets caught & the next day they are on fire, mainly on 10 to 15g metals

I'm using the same metals. Quite often there is a follow up of the lure, but no hit.

2 hours ago, Scratchie said:

Nice work yowie! A lot of filleting to do there! 

Cheers scratchie!!! 

Thanks Scratchie, there was a lot of filleting and de-boning to do, but then no worries about bones for the kids.