Shimano Saragosa

Sigma

Hello all,

I was hoping someone has a Shimano Saragosa and will be able to help out with my question.

Just received a Shimano Saragosa SW10000 as a gift for my birthday and I am a little confused. I don't know if this is a normal thing for this reel, but I noticed that the bail arm won't click over automatically when you open the bail arm and turn the handle....is this normal ?

Also, can't find a reverse switch on the reel either....do they have one?

Looked through the instructions but they're only a general instructions for all models. The only other paper in the box apart from the warranty was a parts list for all Saragosa reel models

Hope someone can shed some light on this. I'm just wondering if it could be faulty new in the box

Cheers

Dave

Yep... same here on my 10000

there is a school of thought that auto bail arms put a twist in your line each time and with those reels typically used for repeated drops like when jigging it can all add up ... at least that’s the suggestion.

1 hour ago, fragmeister said:

Yep... same here on my 10000

there is a school of thought that auto bail arms put a twist in your line each time and with those reels typically used for repeated drops like when jigging it can all add up ... at least that’s the suggestion.

Where did you see that Jim?  Just picturing how it works, I can’t see how it would put any extra twist. It won’t be any different to closing manually. 

Lots of reels these days don't have a reverse "switch" mainly because lots now use a kind of one way bearing to achieve the anti reverse function, in reality most never used the reverse facility anyway, probably 99% of fishermen/persons would not have a use for it.

18 hours ago, Hateanchors said:

Where did you see that Jim?  Just picturing how it works, I can’t see how it would put any extra twist. It won’t be any different to closing manually. 

Can't remember but come to think of it  ... I can't' picture it either!

I have to say I didn't give that a great deal of thought when I posted it.

My apologies boys... It does sound like a silly suggestion in retrospect.

In thinking about it , If any line twist is introduced by the line changing direction as it passes over the bail arm then really the only difference with a manual bail arm is one less turn in hundreds as most of the rotations are in reeling in the line.

hmm... I must have had one too many I think!

BTW - Hateanchors... a very respectful way to bring this to my attention.  Much appreciated.

Cheers

Jim

Shouldnt be turning the handle to flip bail over as it puts a lot of stress on the drive gear. And no anti reverse like most of shimanos saltwater series reels. 

Usually anti reverse is the first thing that breaks when fighting a hard fish. The clutch is a pretty strong design

Edited by xerotao

Come to think of it I always flip the bail back manually regardless of the reel but it’s more about making sure theslack line doesn’t get caught aroundthe bail arm roller - particularly in the wind and fishing light braid.

Any reel designed these days for fishing under heavy drag has no antireverese and no auto bail arm, both these mechanisms are very difficult to make tough enough to withstand heavy drag pressures and thats why they are not available on top end reels like Stellas, etc. Saragosa's are incredible reels for what you pay- I have a 10000 and a 6000, I also have a Stella 4000 and 20000, I dont think I would bother to buy another Stella becuse the Sara's will do about 99% as good a job at less than 1/3 of the price