please help a learner with boat rod choice

Arty

hey everyone. i'm a learner fisherman, got into it a couple years ago and currently have my 2 beach rods. one for bait and one for lures, have my squidding setup and a also a light spin combo. im planning on hiring a small boat with a friend soon and realised i dont have anything suitable to catch a big fish, on a boat. i wouldn't want to take my 12ft beach rod and look like a tool haha.

so just wondering if i could have some guidance.
rod im looking at: DAIWA SALTIST X 56-5/6S
Length: 168 cm  (5'6") , Action Heavy , Taper Regular, Lure Weight 150 - 300g, 
Line Rating PE 5/6

reel im looking at: daiwa saltist nero 3000 or 4000

would this work? what reel size would be better out of those two?

also what pound braid and leader would i put on such a combo?

i already have a light spin combo so i want this as something i can throw a whole squid on and go for a decent size fish

thankyou so much for any help and guidance!!

Edited by Arty

Depends what species? That rod you mentioned is a deep jigging rods built for mechanical jigging up metal knife jigs. You will find id will be very parabolic and wont be good for castings like a popper.

i just wanted to go for something short and tough, something i can thrown a whole squid onto and go for a mulloway or decent kingfish.  
then i was thinking i could have my lighter rod for spinning a lure or popper etc.

would the rod/reel selection i chose be the wrong choice?

Hi,

Welcome aboard.

I have two Ugly Stik rods which are great. I use a Shimano 3000 C14 Stradic on one and I use a Fin-Nor LT40 on the other. Great combo's.  I use Mono line, because I don't like braid.

If you go to the Dinga Fishing website he has great gear and he is all so a Fishraider Sponsor. You will receive an extra 5% off being a member. They send gear freight free around Australia.

Cheers.

I second @dirvin21 - 7' 6-8kg will hand most big fish you are likely to encounter - except for the real big monsters.

I'd chuck a 3000 or 4000 sized reel of your choice. Paired with 20lb good quality braid for balance between strength and durability. Use 30/40lb fluoro based on terrain.

I actually have the most fun with my 3-6kg 7' rod using a 2500 sized reel on 10Lb and 20Lb leader - very light and has strength to fight as long as I'm not in risky terrain. Your squidding rod might already be close. Good for chucking walk the dog lures, working sps and metal jigs (though 8'6 for most squidding rods might be a bit tough to handle once the fish are near the boat.

thanks so much.  i really appreciate the help!
on the weekend i bought a daiwa td black rod
7' 6-8kg. no reel yet

i will keep the dinga website on my mind for next time

thanks so much for the guidance,
hope to get out this weekend to give it a run

• Like 2