Jervis Bay

GoingFishing

Gday Raiders

Did my first ever trip to JB today. The plan was originally to go saturday but the weather turned to crap, so after begging the bosses at home 3 out of the 4 managed to reschedule so it was on. 

Left Sydney at 3am and did the trip down to Woollamia where we dropped the boat in. Thanks to all who offered advice regarding the boat ramps, we managed to make in and out of the creek OK except for a small section in the morning low tide where i hit some sand for a couple of seconds in 0.5m of water. Makes for some stressful navigation in pitch black i tell you that much.

I had read reports on JBGF Facebook that some beakies had been caught inside the bay earlier in the week. So first attempt was live baiting around Point Perpindicular. We tried this without success up to around 9am...and with the water cold at under 20 degrees, dark green and not a marlin in sight we headed out towards JB canyons. We got about 10km out when the water turned blue we put the spread in.

Despite the water being warm at 25+ and electric blue it was lifeless....just like the water off Sydney.

In roughly 6 hrs of trolling we didnt pass a single bloody bait ball or a spec that would suggest there was bait of any sort.

What is this horror show that is happening offshore this year?

Just got home. Spent. Buggered and down in the dumps.

Time to wash the boat and gear then go to straight to sleep!!.

The beakie addiction is a painful one. But hopefully with some persistence it will pay off eventually.

Thanks

Sam

16 minutes ago, Scratchie said:

Unlucky Sam! That’s the gamble of game fishing! Port Stephens actually fired yesterday and today with a few boats getting multiple tags in. Trust me, I missed it by one day too! 😩

cheers scratchie!!! 

Indeed it always is a gamble!

wish id known about PS firing up i would have driven north instead. Same distance pretty much.

One the plus side..JB is one amazing piece of nature. Heaven

Edited by GoingFishing

I feel for ya Sam. As Rick says it’s fishing not catchin’ !

if it makes you feel better, I’m part owner of a holiday house in Vincentia and I’ve never got to the shelf (only 19km out from heads) as all my co-owner crew get seasick !!! What a bummer! 

As I said before- we’re going to have to tag team mate. 

Cheers Zoran 

When I was into game fishing around 15 to 20 years ago PS would be going off and we would head up for the big tournament & it would go quite while Sydney would be on fire or down south & then visa versa when we’d get back, frustrating sport game fishing but when it all comes together it’s awesome. Don’t worry your day will come

11 hours ago, zmk1962 said:

I feel for ya Sam. As Rick says it’s fishing not catchin’ !

if it makes you feel better, I’m part owner of a holiday house in Vincentia and I’ve never got to the shelf (only 19km out from heads) as all my co-owner crew get seasick !!! What a bummer! 

As I said before- we’re going to have to tag team mate. 

Cheers Zoran 

Your very luck Zoran to have a holiday home in heaven ! We definitely need to tag team soon mate whilst the fishing is still decent !

10 hours ago, 61 crusher said:

When I was into game fishing around 15 to 20 years ago PS would be going off and we would head up for the big tournament & it would go quite while Sydney would be on fire or down south & then visa versa when we’d get back, frustrating sport game fishing but when it all comes together it’s awesome. Don’t worry your day will come

Thanks for the words of encouragement ! Will keep the chin up 😊

• Like 1

Probably a bit of an error in judgement heading to the JB Canyons on the weekend mate. Looking at the charts the southern area between the Ulladulla fad and the Ulladulla canyons looked to be the pick of the area.

If you wanted to go north the current was a fair bit slower on the banks and it always holds fish this time of year.

Bloke i know did mark two marlin on a bait ball around the inner tubes on the weekend but didnt manage to get a bite out of them

5 minutes ago, New Signing said:

Probably a bit of an error in judgement heading to the JB Canyons on the weekend mate. Looking at the charts the southern area between the Ulladulla fad and the Ulladulla canyons looked to be the pick of the area.

If you wanted to go north the current was a fair bit slower on the banks and it always holds fish this time of year.

Bloke i know did mark two marlin on a bait ball around the inner tubes on the weekend but didnt manage to get a bite out of them

Cheers mate. We learn from our mistakes ! When you say the banks are holding fish. Do you mean marlin or kings ? everything i read about the banks suggested they were good for kings.

3 hours ago, GoingFishing said:

Cheers mate. We learn from our mistakes ! When you say the banks are holding fish. Do you mean marlin or kings ? everything i read about the banks suggested they were good for kings.

Banks always holds kings mate, getting them to bite on occasion can be a battle.

But this time of year there will be blacks there

I was fishing jb over the weekend and managed to get a good number of decent flathead and squid. I also witnessed someone fighting a marlin around 140kg of the tubes and then ran into them at Callala boat ramp awesome fish.