Sign in to follow this  
rickmarlin62

New steering

Put new steering on my vsea   out at swansea fad   bloody thing snapped  got out the paddle n parra rope

20190310_130420.jpg

• Like 2

And that’s why Maritime insists that you carry a paddle. 😀

• Haha 2

Rick. What part of the steering broke ? I remember doing something similar to one of my boats but that was about 45 years ago and can't actually remember why I needed to do it, I used a long handled gaff.

Frank

The teleflex cable broke internally at the motor

Convert it over to a side mount hydraulic, very simple, the small ram simply screws onto the tilt tube like the cable steering, run some pipe, job done, finger tip steering forever.

• Like 1

Parra rope saves the day, its a staple in my boat.

Good work on the temp fix, hope it didnt cost too much to repair.

Did i read elsewhere that you were 25 knots on the way home with the temp steering ! seems safe 😖

On 3/11/2019 at 8:22 AM, Blackfish said:

And that’s why Maritime insists that you carry a paddle. 😀

Exactly!!! 

Hope it’s not too much $$$$

Easier to steer on the plane than at trolling speeds     if i did 4 knots comin home frome fad  i would have near ran out of fuel  hahaha

• Like 1

129 bucks delivered jeff   you know wot boat stands for  bring on another thousand  lol

Hey Rick... very resourceful and I'm glad you've proven this technique works !!!  When I've thought thru how would I recover from a steering failure - that's pretty much what came to my mind - the only thing that still bugs me is that my throttle is at the helm and how the heck would I control speed and engage reverse from the back of the boat (especially if solo!) 

So mate - please share, were you solo? How the heck did you pull up against the wharf ? ... you must be quick as "flash" to be in two places .... anyway well done.

Cheers Zoran

Hi zoran  im lucky i could sit against drivers side gunwhale and just reach throttle while holding paddle handle  i had mate with me  but was easier doing it myself with him balancing boat on the other side  while travelling slow mick steered at rear and i stood up front throttling n directing  once underway heading home on flat sea i sat on 20 knots  once in lake  25knots  got some some strange looks on way down lake mac we dont use jetty at boat harbour summerland pt  sand next to ramp allows us to nose in  replacing steering on monday....my best advice     carry long paddle or oar   once tied down tight  works well...cheers rick

• Like 1

Paddles should come with 2 slots moulded in to the blade!

1 at the end and 1 where handle joins.

so a ratchet strap can be threaded through n tightened onto the engine cowling.

You also could have tied the middle of  a length of rope to the end of the handle  and brought both ends through your rear stainless steel grab side handles and up to and through the steering wheel.

and used the rope to steer

i once lost my wipers on my 1959 FB holden ute (the one as my avatar) during a rainy day.

reached under dash and removed the wiper linkage clip. 

tied 80lb fishing line (always some fishing gear in all my vehicles) to the right wiper and in through the left flipper window Out through the right flipper window back to the wiper.

Had a mate work the wipers while i drove.

same principle with the steering on a boat with the rope n paddle.

Edited by Mmg
  • Like 1