New steering

rickmarlin62

Rick. What part of the steering broke ? I remember doing something similar to one of my boats but that was about 45 years ago and can't actually remember why I needed to do it, I used a long handled gaff.

Frank

Hey Rick... very resourceful and I'm glad you've proven this technique works !!!  When I've thought thru how would I recover from a steering failure - that's pretty much what came to my mind - the only thing that still bugs me is that my throttle is at the helm and how the heck would I control speed and engage reverse from the back of the boat (especially if solo!) 

So mate - please share, were you solo? How the heck did you pull up against the wharf ? ... you must be quick as "flash" to be in two places .... anyway well done.

Cheers Zoran

Hi zoran  im lucky i could sit against drivers side gunwhale and just reach throttle while holding paddle handle  i had mate with me  but was easier doing it myself with him balancing boat on the other side  while travelling slow mick steered at rear and i stood up front throttling n directing  once underway heading home on flat sea i sat on 20 knots  once in lake  25knots  got some some strange looks on way down lake mac we dont use jetty at boat harbour summerland pt  sand next to ramp allows us to nose in  replacing steering on monday....my best advice     carry long paddle or oar   once tied down tight  works well...cheers rick

• Like 1