Kingfish Advice

josamill

Been catching lots of squid....my son caught a 63cm (released) Kingfish with one on Saturday.

He was drifting in 8-10m with the squid weighed down to the bottom - obviously it worked on that fish, but I just wasn't confident we were doing it right.

I'm never quite sure what the best bet is. Assuming you know you are in a spot where Kingies come past - it's on their beat - but you can't see them on a sounder, where and how is the bait best presented? Sinker?

Any advise appreciated!

Hi Josamill

You will often see kingfish on the sounder. Kingfish are always on the move so it might be temporary, if you have a burley trail going you might see them on the sounder hanging out under the boat.

Kingfish are not known to be "bottom dwellers" although like you, i have caught them on the bottom too.

That being said, the best way to target kingfish is to have the bait suspended in the water column. Where in the water column will depend on what depth you are fishing. If you are only in 8-10m of water i would have the bait at say 5m depth and it will be visible to all passing kingfish whether they be down the bottom or on the surface. 

If on the other hand you can see what depth they are hanging out, then drop it down to that depth.

Good luck for next time!

Edited by GoingFishing
  • Like 1