Sunday Session - Barrenjoey and BB wide

Jimbo1973

G’Day Raiders

Went out for a look Sunday morning as the weather was kind to small boat owners with low winds and slight seas, first stop was the Joey where there was a good mix of rats and a few decent fish amongst them , used up all my squid and put 2 keepers in the esky after releasing 3 and losing a really nice fish at the boat.

While the weather was still good we headed east and once wide started to head for the Terrigal FAD, there were quite a few dolphins out there enjoying themselves , had a small dolly hit one of the skirts which was put back to grow up and swam off well, shortly after had something large hit one of the skirts and pulled hard a mad flurry of action to clear the other lines then got into it and after what was probably less than a minute the fish threw the barbless hooks and was gone! It had some serious go in it! We then headed  out to where the GPS said the FAD would be but couldn’t find it for love nor money!?!? Saw a couple of other boats coming in around the same time that may have had the same issue!?

With no FAD to be found we headed to the 50mt Flathead grounds off the Joey to top up the esky and put a few blue spots on ice for dinner before calling it a very good mornings work and heading in.

Good forecast for tomorrow so might have to have another crack!

0457BDB2-F5CC-4193-AD1C-AF003F22D73B.jpeg

26B1F6FF-F6F0-4F66-9754-43932AABA9D6.jpeg

93E3117C-DFEC-4EE3-B3D7-1DCDC8A32D4B.jpeg

1CF23BA2-24C8-46C0-B1FA-7A8CD71E7B7F.jpeg

1762DDEB-6136-470B-A665-87D0D53294E5.jpeg

Edited by Jimbo1973
Add pic
  • Like 4

G’Day Mate,

My mate who was out with me is the game fisherman and he loves billfish and wants them to release well so he runs barbless hooks, they are good for an easy release sometimes while you are still fighting them! lol 

Was a nice bag and a tasty breakfast, smashed the kingie sashimi this morning!

C6656E8D-8D73-4CF1-A31F-440E5E011893.jpeg

Edited by Jimbo1973
Add pic

12 hours ago, GoingFishing said:

Great work mate thats a nice mixed bag.

Can i ask why are you trolling with barbless hooks?

Line pressure is what keeps a hook in , not the barb, ski jump size barbs dont get stuck in the first place so the just fall out. 

3 minutes ago, PaddyT said:

Line pressure is what keeps a hook in , not the barb, ski jump size barbs dont get stuck in the first place so the just fall out. 

I just learnt something 👍thanks

Can you buy barbless Game hooks or do you file them back

Are you referring to the Broken Bay (Sydney North) FAD? - that is still missing - I made the same mistake on Sunday.

Terrigal FAD is still there and you should of spotted the dozen boats around it.

where do you fish for flatties of Broken Bay? I usually have a drop on the way back in for zeros....

Nice catch.

5 hours ago, fish2relax said:

Are you referring to the Broken Bay (Sydney North) FAD? - that is still missing - I made the same mistake on Sunday.

Terrigal FAD is still there and you should of spotted the dozen boats around it.

where do you fish for flatties of Broken Bay? I usually have a drop on the way back in for zeros....

Nice catch.

Hi Mate,

i just line line up the tip of the lighthouse with the west head car park in 50mts of water and drop a couple of reedy rig paternoster over the side with a lump of whatever bait I catch at the valiant on the way out 

The fish come pretty quick when you find a patch lots of double hook ups and sore arms from winding!

Nice catch.

Yeah there were a few boats out there but couldn’t find it anywhere, looking at the GPS I drive lines over the top of it a few times but no love! Spoke to Ron Osman and he mentioned the current has been pulling the FAD under the surface which makes sense , next Monday is looking good for another run out so will give it another go

Nice catch.

It’s not a bad spot out there , it’s all tiny little spikey flathead from the valiant out to about 35-40mts then the better fish seem to come in around 45-50mts , attached a couple of pics from recent session out there wasn’t as pleasant as Sunday but certainly got a feed using fresh frigate fillets for bait 

F4550AED-A486-4C1F-98F2-0B5ACF0191A2.jpeg

DBF17FC3-E3C9-4E4C-B280-E73C766FEF1F.jpeg