March Jindabyne Trip

GordoRetired

On 3/19/2019 at 2:24 PM, YZ250 said:

Fantastic report - it has whet my appetite as after being a dedicated Eucumbene fisherman for some time I have decided this is the year to hit Jindy. 

The humble tassie devil...So long as you get the colour right I reckon it still takes 10 times the fish that any other lure does.....and at a fraction of the price.

I have never tried Eucumbene as I have a mate who lives in Jindabyne so I get to fish and also catch up with a great mate when I am not on the water.... Have tried to get him out but to no avail.

As for "at a fraction of the price" Especially of you buy your Tassies at the right place and time... an a con da (Sorry cant type the name properly as the site changes it) when they have a sale on.. Under $5 each 🙂

Edited by GordoRetired

On 3/18/2019 at 5:23 PM, zmk1962 said:

Great report mate .... I'm late catching up I know but really enjoyed the read. 

I've never fished fresh in anger so this is all very educational and an eyeopener.

Cheers Zoran

It's so different from fishing salt... 4 - 6 lb leaders, 6 - 8lb main line, super light drag settings, trolling at 2 knots using super light rods.  Unlike salt where it's 20lb leader or more onto 30lb+ main line and trolling at 6 - 8 knots with 6 - 8 lb of drag  using reasonably stiff rods.

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 2:34 PM, GordoRetired said:

I have never tried Eucumbene as I have a mate who lives in Jindabyne

Yeah I now have family in Jindy which is why I am keen to focus on this lake.  I was always under the impression that it was harder to fish than Eucumbene, but the fish were better quality.  We will find out soon I guess.  I tell you what though - its bloody unreal to be able to fish a snowy lake and then retire to a pub or a warm house (for free!) at the end of the day.

41 minutes ago, YZ250 said:

Yeah I now have family in Jindy which is why I am keen to focus on this lake.  I was always under the impression that it was harder to fish than Eucumbene, but the fish were better quality.  We will find out soon I guess.  I tell you what though - its bloody unreal to be able to fish a snowy lake and then retire to a pub or a warm house (for free!) at the end of the day.

Can't beat a nice warm pub at the end of the day.

I am not sure why people would say that it is harder to fish than Eucumbene. I have taken my boat down and as an inexperienced Trout fisherman I have not gone too badly. If you interested I have posted a couple of other reports on previous trips which you may find interesting.
In my opinion, for what it is worth as I have only had 4 trips down with the boat and never fished for Trout anywhere else, you need to ask for advice from locals. When I head down I always stop in at the Alpine Angler just outside Cooma and buy something, a lure, or pack of swivels etc and ask Mick if he has any advice. Then when I get to Jindabyne the first thing I do is pop into Snowy Mountain Sports and talk to Richard or his son Liam as they are both keen fishermen and know the lake like the back of their hands, Richard is on the committee of the Jindabyne Fishing Club which I have joined. Then pop round for a chat with Brian, he bought Steve Williams old shop, and see what he suggests. 
The guidance from Richard, Liam and Brian has been very valuable in putting me onto fish. Then it's all about hours on the water along with constant lure changes and changes of locations if you are not getting strikes.
Good luck 🙂

• Thanks 1

Thanks Gordo!  I agree re the Alpine Angler.  Its my favorite tackle store I reckon!  I have actually booked in for a guided session with Steve so that I can learn all of his tips and tricks.  I decided to start out on the right foot with some good demonstration and advice from one of the best.  I will take a look at your other reports now too.  Brendan 

• Like 1