Storm last night

noelm

We had the biggest storm last night here in the Illawarra, never seen lightning so constant or violent, multiple strikes everywhere, rain so heavy my gutters overflowed into the eaves, never had that before ever, the lightning was the most spooky, just a blinding flash streaking to the ground, followed instantly by crashing thunder, looked spectacular over the ocean, not so good when a power pole right in front of my house got struck, then one further up the street, then the house next door, all in about 30 minutes.

• Like 1

Yeah, it's OK here now, strong southerly wind, but last night, holy hell, it was bad, never ever seen lightning like it, just a big dzzzzt, bang instantly, saw quite a few houses get direct hits, blackouts and lights flashing on and off, with torrential rain and east wind, looked great, but very scary.

Noel. Sounds like your area copped it pretty bad, any damage done to your property ?. Here we had heaps of lightning and thunder claps but mostly to each side of us, we copped heavy rain which is welcome for the lawns and plants, there was no hail here.

Frank

It was by far the worst storm I have ever witnessed, it only lasted about 30-45mins, but it was bad, the light pole that got struck outside had my boat directly under it, the radio doesn't work, haven't tried the motors yet, the house next door had a corner of the roof blown apart, the rain was so hard it came into my eaves, there was water running out of the down light on the balcony, never seen lightning like it, so intense and almost constant, next to no break between "strikes"

Showers, I wish......everyone in the neighbourhood is talking about the lightning, a few have got electrical dramas from blown TVs and appliances to still having no power due to lightning, nothing major I guess, but it was just so localised and extreme, pretty spectacular seeing lightning hitting the ocean several times.

Shit happens :blink:

Try walking home with a metal framed umbrella like I did in the middle of it 🤨

Roll the dice 😅

Also got my car pelted with hail in the last Sydney hail storm & nearly 1 billion $$(reportedly 675 million) in damage from that!

Edited by kingie chaser

Was fishing the port kembla breakwall as it was coming got home just as it started raining then 15minutes later the lightning started.. as I was leaving the breakwall a guy was walking out to start fishing told him he shouldn’t be going out there but kept going anyway hope he’s alright 

Can't say I would be too thrilled about being out on the break wall if it was as bad at Port Kembla as it was here, the storm came in from kind of south east, and stayed right on us, them broke up moving east back out to sea, my son lives about 10 minutes away and they got light rain, wind and saw the lightning over towards the ocean where I am, so it was very localised.

4 hours ago, noelm said:

Can't say I would be too thrilled about being out on the break wall if it was as bad at Port Kembla as it was here, the storm came in from kind of south east, and stayed right on us, them broke up moving east back out to sea, my son lives about 10 minutes away and they got light rain, wind and saw the lightning over towards the ocean where I am, so it was very localised.

Yep was definantly as bad