AP3

New steering cable and helm stiff?!

Hi Everyone!

First a confession; I'm from the UK, and my only fishing is done with a magnet, but the Aus forums seem a lot more clued up on boat stuff than the UK ones.

I had a lot of play in my old Teleflex steering cable, but otherwise it turned fine, but I changed it to try and get rid of the play, as I also had now idea on the age of the cable.

• I changed both the cable and rotary helm for new.
  • I reamed out the tilt tube prior to installing the new cable with a wire brush on a drill, and I greased the new cable with white lithium grease.
  • I greased the pivot tube, and tilt tube grease nipples until new grease was squeezing out.

But, I have a weird problem!

With the drag link disconnected, the steering turns as smooth as butter, and the cable slides in and out effortlessly. Also, the outboard happily flops easily from lock to lock.

However, with the drag link connected, the steering is very stiff, particularly to starboard! I can't think of anything I haven't done to ensure smooth steering.

The drag link is the right one for the engine, and isn't bent weirdly. The cable isn't bent beyond Teleflex's prescribed limits.

Any clue what my issue could be? It's driving me nuts!

Cheers,

Andy

The really obvious first, does the motor turn free with the drag link disconnected? is the steering free while stopped?

Oops, I just reread and noted the motor does move free.

Only thing I can think of at the moment is the drag link could be set too close to the motor not giving it enough angle to push pull freely, set the drag link further out from where it connects to the motor a inch or so towards the front of the boat, if that makes sense . There should be adjustment holes on the connection.

Frank

Edited by frankS

Was the old cable turning smooth/ freely in the same mounting position?

If all those things check out as being smooth as you say, I think you have either a faulty or cheaply made cable or rotary helm. It seems like as soon as you put some pressure on it, it becomes stiff.

Could also be the wrong ratio at the rotary helm. Is the gear pattern/ ratio the same as your old one? 

@Frank, there are no adjustment holes, just a hole at each end.

@Hateanchors,  all was well before, except for the free play. Are there different ratios?  The helm/cable are identical to before??

Is the replacement cable the same length as original  if longer it may be kinking out and making it tight as too sharper angle to run freely

hi mate what brand motor hp etc some pics of set up might help to

@Rick, it's the same length as the old. There only bends at the helm and motor, and neither are sharper than the diameter specified by Telefex.

@Dunc, it's a 1990 Suzuki DT40C on an old dory. Pic attached!

I'm really scratching my head on this one. I don't think that hydraulic steering is an (easy) option, given the transom cutout length, and also the screw clamps for the outboard. (I guess these could be cut off, and bolts used instead)

boat.jpg

I'm starting to think I didn't ream out the tilt tube enough, or it's just overly corroded, as I'm getting brown gunk coming out on the steering cable.

Doesn't explain why it's easy to move with the drag link disconnected, but there is some play in the cable going through the tilt tube, which I'm not sure is normal?

Andy. Could you send a photo of the front of the motor where the drag link connects to the motor, not too close a shot so we could have a good look at your set up. I'm pretty well convinced that the drag link is too close to the motor, OR you have the nuts too tight.

God I wish I was there in person to help you, what part of the UK are you at ?.

Frank

Hi Frank,

I went out and took a bunch of photos, hopefully this link will work: https://imgur.com/a/06JfzDC

There is a second hole in the mount on the outboard that takes the drag link, slightly further away. You think this might be the problem? I've tried loosening the nylocs on both ends of the drag link, and it didn't help.

I'm in the southeast of the UK, near Marlow, Bucks. Home to huge river boats, expensive marinas, and even more expensive marine mechanics! Boats are seen as a bit of a luxury here. 😕

Cheers,

Andy

Hi Andy,

It seems to me that the tiller bracket is mounted toward the motor and that would significantly reduce the leverage you have on the motor.  It seems the angles would also be inclined to lock up. 

If you flipped that toward the bow and attached your drag link to the forward hole it would give you max leverage (and hence require least force on the Telefex).  I think Frank implied something like this in an earlier post. 

See if this picture makes sense:

768143246_Photo19-3-1993255pm.thumb.jpg.49d845b49d0684745ad38b5f76e445a1.jpg

Cheers Zoran

Yes this is what I was trying to explain in my earlier comments , only thing that I could think of that would be the problem.

Frank

Thanks for the replies guys, and your excellent drawing Zoran!

Looking at the exploded diagram for this motor though, it does look like it's supposed to be mounted the way it is: https://www.brownspoint.com/store/pc/BP_AP_AssemblyDetail.asp?ID=6394

I could try the other threaded hole, but from what I've been able to figure out, I think that one's for linking up another motor.

Cheers,

Andy