Bottom Bouncing Strategy inspired Jig - sinker jig

zmk1962

Hey Raiders,

After reading the Bottom Bouncing Strategies Post, I was inspired to make my own DIY sinker attached jig to clip on the end of a 2hook paternoster.  

Here's the original post: 

I've posted  below the pictures as a summary of the step by step process.  I'll test these as soon as the weather clears, and maybe down the track I might even spray paint the snapper leads (red/white) to add a bit more colour. But for now here's my effort in making the jig(s).

• 100lb dacron (longline knot tied to 4/0 longshank hook)
  • heat shrink
  • coloured of beads
  • fluoro tube
  • plastic squid
  • snap swivel

image.png.a4edfb51b8b7b7bc9eac73bcdeb03854.png

image.png.0ee3cd0841da03b78f9932f6ba51f639.png

image.png.8ab146a4054153db67d58e233d4608ab.png

image.png.c091de33e9f9c4b671ddcf63d4c76a26.png

image.png.54429b4db0dcb8a8f13b53468cd76fdf.png

image.png.0ca49f935c8214d2815285ee60214824.png

Tight lines guys... lets hope these work.

Cheers Zoran

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Have you ever had the snap swivels fail on you?  I went fishing the other week and the first thing everyone else on the boat said was to get rid of my snap swivels as they would fail.  Fishing in 60m of water for large mouth nannygai's.  Ive never had one fail but I have also never caught big nannys like we did that day.

Nice one, its fun to have a tinker & even better if you get a result so let us know how you go.

Cant remeber who makes them but I have used one of those 3 jig imitaion squid patanosters before & had success with them.

Looks like you could also fashion those into a similar rig as well if you wanted.

The only thing I would change is having the sinker on the clip, to me would/could create a weak point with twisting or even from a large fish.

I would consider attaching to the top swivel eyelet with some mono maybe.

Good luck with it.

Edited by kingie chaser

Nice work @zmk1962. I might have a go at tying some on the train when I am commuting this week.

@Fishop, not had the snap swivels fail as such, but you do need to check that they are done up properly. I've had times where I've bought up my rig and noticed that its come undone. 

Barra fishing, people like the snaps so they can change lures quicker, but in that case, I go with a longer leader and tie on with a loop knot.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Fishop said:

Have you ever had the snap swivels fail on you?

I've never had snaps fail but I do use different snaps, of different gauge strength for different applications. 

These are the weakest and easiest to pull apart...simple estuary rigs etc...

image.png.126a08796dca2ed2a8ed1e1cdcac1a09.png

These type I use for my trolling rigs.. .. ball bearing and locked snap wire...(you can get these >100kg)

image.png.8649b414e27dc3336fee525731e3dfb1.png

I consider these as inbetween in terms of  design ... (and cost)

image.png.5adee286e44f1ef844e8774c199b067a.png

The ones I have on my sinker jigs are rated to 50lb .... so I'm pretty comfy they will hold a flattie or two.

Cheers Zoran

• Like 2

2 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

Nice one, its fun to have a tinker & even better if you get a result so let us know how you go.

Thanks Adrian ... just waiting for the weather to break !  Maybe Thursday is a goer... will update here if they work. 

Cheers Zoran

2 hours ago, antonywardle said:

Nice work @zmk1962. I might have a go at tying some on the train when I am commuting this week.

Now that will be a sight Antony !  Perhaps you can get the passengers next to you to hold the beads and odds and ends as you go... 😂 

Cheers Z

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If worried about the snaps, you could drill a hole (or two) in the snapper sinker and tie the hooks onto 50lb Dacron, thread it through the hole and tie it onto a stainless steel ring. Basically, how the Bottom Ship jigs are rigged. 😉

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Berleyguts said:

If worried about the snaps, you could drill a hole (or two) in the snapper sinker and tie the hooks onto 50lb Dacron, thread it through the hole and tie it onto a stainless steel ring. Basically, how the Bottom Ship jigs are rigged. 😉

Hahaha yup ... I was initially going to do something like that, but thought I'd keep it simple and flexible - snaps allow that.  Lets see if it works first - but then, I've never had issues with snaps. Maybe I've just been lucky !

Cheers Z

• Like 1

15 hours ago, zmk1962 said:

I've never had snaps fail but I do use different snaps, of different gauge strength for different applications. 

These are the weakest and easiest to pull apart...simple estuary rigs etc...

image.png.126a08796dca2ed2a8ed1e1cdcac1a09.png

These type I use for my trolling rigs.. .. ball bearing and locked snap wire...(you can get these >100kg)

image.png.8649b414e27dc3336fee525731e3dfb1.png

I consider these as inbetween in terms of  design ... (and cost)

image.png.5adee286e44f1ef844e8774c199b067a.png

The ones I have on my sinker jigs are rated to 50lb .... so I'm pretty comfy they will hold a flattie or two.

Cheers Zoran

True yeah I have seen those stronger ones and the design does look much better

• 2 weeks later...

I look forward to hearing how they go, Zoran!

However, I just ducked into my local 3 letter tackle shop on my lunch break and they are clearing out the Kato slow jigs. Buy 4 get one free or $5 each. I bought 10 for $40. 😎

6 minutes ago, zmk1962 said:

Cool Baz ! ... I stocked up on SPs recently also ..... but for me there's just some extra satisfaction in a DIY thingy .... I don;t know maybe it's just me. 

Cheers Zoran

Looks good, I like DIY. I would consider just making the dacron a bit longer and attaching it straight to the sinker loop to leave out the snap and swivel. If you want to continue with the DIY jig then you could snell some tinsel or feathers to the throat of the snapper lead so it looks like  a bucktail jig or add reflective or lumo stickers.

If you're getting snagged maybe consider having the hook a couple of inches above the sinker.

On 4/4/2019 at 9:43 PM, kingie chaser said:

Gotta be happy with that Zoran 👌

Yeah... I'm quite chuffed that they work. The only thing I have discovered is that I am constantly hooking myself with the jig.

When I need to re-bait, it's second nature for me to lift the rod tip and swing in the paternoster, then grab the snapper lead -- now everytime I grab the lead -- ouch !  It's going to take a while to get used to that hook there !

Cheers Zoran

• Haha 3

• zmk1962 changed the title to Bottom Bouncing Strategy inspired Jig - sinker jig