Boomerang Beach

Ryder

Hi Raiders,

Im up here until Monday for a bit of a break and hopefully a few fish. I read past reports from the area and also the pinned topic about beach worming and thought I’d give it a go. I bought a pair of worming pliers, stuffed a stocking with a few pillies and off I went to Tiona/ Seven Mile Beach for the last of the low tide.

They were easy to find, plenty of heads popping up, but catching them was a different story. To say they can be frustrating is an understatement, it took an hour or so to get my first. I must have missed 40, pulled the head off 3, but ended up with seven after 2 hours. Back home to Boomerang soaking wet with an aching back.

This afternoon I was the only guy fishing the beach, it was a bit rough but you could see the gutters. Armed with the light surf outfit, my worms, and  a simple running rig I started casting. I kept moving along the beach until I found the fish. The first taker was a nice Whiting around 33cm. Then I found a patch of small Dart, they go hard and are fun to catch, but I needed to protect my precious supply of bait, so I moved again.

Further along the beach, in the rip the surfers use to get out, I got 2 more decent Whiting and a Mullet. The Whiting will be tonight’s dinner, the Mullet could be tomorrow’s bait. Pretty happy with the results.

Cheers

0BFD99D7-AE8B-4DF7-922B-DDA24D6D8CAD.thumb.jpeg.a7106089cf9204f48deec258088f5e72.jpeg

• Like 5

Thanks for the replies, specially the advice on digging up the beheaded ones. 

Went out again this arvo with fresh mullet strips and packaged worms from the general store. They were pretty good but obviously not as good as fresh. I caught heaps of dart and a couple of bream on the mullet strips, no Whiting.

Talking to the locals, Whiting have been absent over summer and just started turning up now. There are a Tailor around and I saw Tuna just beyond the break at Elizabeth Beach.

I have been out with people worming but yet to have a proper crack myself, but well done that sounds impressive for the first attempt.  

Its a beautiful part of the world up there.   If you go to Smith Lake it love to hear about the water level especially at the ramp near frothy coffee for reference.   Did you get to Bluey’s pizza? 

12 hours ago, Welster said:

I have been out with people worming but yet to have a proper crack myself, but well done that sounds impressive for the first attempt.  

Its a beautiful part of the world up there.   If you go to Smith Lake it love to hear about the water level especially at the ramp near frothy coffee for reference.   Did you get to Bluey’s pizza? 

lowest i have ever seen it been going up there for about 45 years,you can walk from the caravan park to frothy coffee and hardly get wet still fish in the lake

60731FF1-2437-457C-9E71-D1550DBAB250.thumb.jpeg.b961853760d72e814265d12a68cda16a.jpeg

Yep, pretty low. I saw one boat come in, 5m fibreglass it had to be pushed over the weedbed 10m from the ramp, only about a foot of water, a little deeper at the base of the ramp.

We didn’t get to Blueys Pizza, but it is still there unlike Pacific Palms Seafoods on The Lakes Way, it has moved to Forster/Tuncurry.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, captainpete said:

lowest i have ever seen it been going up there for about 45 years,you can walk from the caravan park to frothy coffee and hardly get wet still fish in the lake

Wow that is low hopefully the fish fair ok.   Thanks for the info.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ryder said:

60731FF1-2437-457C-9E71-D1550DBAB250.thumb.jpeg.b961853760d72e814265d12a68cda16a.jpeg

Yep, pretty low. I saw one boat come in, 5m fibreglass it had to be pushed over the weedbed 10m from the ramp, only about a foot of water, a little deeper at the base of the ramp.

We didn’t get to Blueys Pizza, but it is still there unlike Pacific Palms Seafoods on The Lakes Way, it has moved to Forster/Tuncurry.

Thanks for the pic.   It would be hard work in anything more than a tinny by the looks of things. 

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Houdini said:

I pulled the heads off a few worms when I was learning but never knew you could dig up the body. I thought they went too deep back into the sand to get up!

I didn’t know that either.