Camera orPhone

masterfisho7

Back in the day I very rarely took a camera on a boat as catching fish wasn't a big deal ( mostly ) then when digital cameras came out I started using one on the boat but wasn't catching as many good fish so camera not used much, these days it's pretty easy to have a phone on the boat in your pocket or close handy, still don't use it much and rarely take a photo.

Phone cameras are fine for sharing images on the internet but nothing will replace the quality of a good old fashioned 35mm film . I still have 3 good Nikon's tucked away in a draw somewhere that haven't seen daylight for many years.

Frank

• Like 1

I used to use high end slr gear ( professionally) which in my opinion can't compare with the ease of modern phone cameras, Both my daughter and her boyfriend have sponsors ( different from each other) and pretty much only use phone cameras for their photos these days and GoPro for filming.

A huge advantage of the phone cam is the incredible depth of field they can produce without having to mess with settings. They shoot close to the fish showing incredible scare detail yet still managing to show the person and environment all in the one shot ( the image tells more story ).

For shooting close ups of distant wildlife the slr or big lens compact still rules.

These images are reduced in size and quality, some have been used in fishing magazines and print every bit as good as any high end camera.

IMG_1002.JPG.77e6cf5ac9d970cfec0e380f6d57125d.JPG

IMG_1348.thumb.JPG.0ef299e5356cae8643141dc61ade6239.JPG

IMG_1351.thumb.JPG.4378349c42d9f6a75e9e9a7f3c3813d0.JPG

IMG_1719.thumb.JPG.68567143cafc859d65c0803459c36ea8.JPG

• Like 1

These are a few quality reduced images from a GoPro 7 which in my mind does exceptionally good video thanks to the latest silky smooth image stabiliser. Just to add, the size of these small cameras means there's little excuse not to have one with you a all times.

GOPR0069_1_1.jpg.d646f42fe9aa3dfa085cef2ae4820360.jpgGOPR0067_1_1.jpg.635ae3e5e8d4817f5ca3bb17393d79c5.jpgGOPR0131_1_1.jpg.ead3eabf34306d7fa390731b986165bf.jpgGOPR0114_1_1.jpg.a67609408b253238849fc2a8f8e85556.jpg1144839816_GOPR04931.jpg.1e2d488152c04b9bda3a45909f950ecf.jpg

Edited by JonD
  • Like 1

I have a GoPro 5 mounted under the bimini, facing out back over the fishing action - I capture video on this and then extract stills if I particularly like one.  I also have an old GoPro 2 in a waterproof case mounted on a selfie stick that we may grab to capture some worthwhile or entertaining action that may be out of view of the fixed camera. Most of my crew carry mobile phones as well - as others have said they do a great job - but when bait fishing with wet messy hands it takes a bit of self convincing to whip one out and snap a photo.... hence we tend to fall back on the waterproof GoPros.

Cheers Zoran

• Like 1

I bought a quality waterproof case for my Canon SLR but I hardly ever take it in the boat because space is tight. Instead, I clamp my iPhone to the rail on my console. I can shoot video from there of whales ahead of the boat, or I can quickly release it from the clamp if needed. As I usually fish solo, it’s handy on the clamp and allows me to take selfies of my capture by holding my hand up to release the shutter using the GoCam app. I have a GoPro2 in a waterproof case that will clamp onto the rail as well but although I took it out last trip, I haven’t used it yet. (I want to get a new, waterproof model 😎).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, masterfisho7 said:

I have now turned my attention to Go Pros just looking at with one to get seen them on You Tube camera and chest mount for fishing 

The 7 black is under $500 with a few accessories now, this model has the best image stabiliser, turns shaky footage into watchable content. Hands down the best GoPro so far, you can also simply tell it to start videoing or when to take photos, "GoPro take photo" and it does it, makes doing selfies of yourself holding fish easy.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, JonD said:

The 7 black is under $500 with a few accessories now, this model has the best image stabiliser, turns shaky footage into watchable content. Hands down the best GoPro so far, you can also simply tell it to start videoing or when to take photos, "GoPro take photo" and it does it, makes doing selfies of yourself holding fish easy.

Jon I have seen it on You Tube and it would be the one I am thinking of getting but all the prices are well over $500 . $ 545 up to $600 . Maybe B BAY  cheaper .

shopping.jpg

Edited by masterfisho7

I think for just "general" photos a phone is fine, as long as you back up to something, the minute your phone takes a swim or dies, your photos are gone, for extra good photos, nothing beats a quality camera, not a $25 throwaway, but a quality camera gives professional results, mind you, how the photo is taken will influence the end result, I have a couple of mates that are professionals, and a lot of small things they taught me have taken even my home handyman photos look better, just small things like taking a picture of a fish at home, look around, move the garden hose, get the cat/dog out of the way, toss the cigarette away, get a decent back ground, how the fish is held, just simple easy stuff, makes a huge difference to the finished photo.

• Like 1

Phone camera does what I need it to for my tinnie, anything else I be to frightened I was going to wreck it or drop it in the drink 

If I had a larger vessel with more room then yeh it would be good to have a nice DSLR with a nice zoom etc.

On ‎3‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 9:07 AM, frankS said:

Back in the day I very rarely took a camera on a boat as catching fish wasn't a big deal ( mostly ) then when digital cameras came out I started using one on the boat but wasn't catching as many good fish so camera not used much, these days it's pretty easy to have a phone on the boat in your pocket or close handy, still don't use it much and rarely take a photo.

Phone cameras are fine for sharing images on the internet but nothing will replace the quality of a good old fashioned 35mm film . I still have 3 good Nikon's tucked away in a draw somewhere that haven't seen daylight for many years.

Frank

I have around 50 camera's, some of which I inherited from my father that go back to around 1915.

Some interesting ones amongst them & some not but still have a nostalgia factor about them.

Haven't shot film for about 30 years but I was stoked when digital came on the scene, nothing worse than paying to get a role of film developed & when you open the packet only 1/2 of them turned out they way you wanted :1wallbash:

Digital= less expense, less chemicals less hassle imo.

Edited by kingie chaser

2 hours ago, masterfisho7 said:

Jon I have seen it on You Tube and it would be the one I am thinking of getting but all the prices are well over $500 . $ 545 up to $600 . Maybe B BAY  cheaper .

shopping.jpg

Hardly normall had them under $500 last week but maybe the price has gone back up. I got mine under $500 with a 32gb card from a local tackle store around 6 weeks ago, took a mate to the same store just over a week ago where he bought one under $500 also. I believe they were marked at $550 but the store owner always seems to do better deals for less locals who use his shop regularly.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Fab1 said:

I don't carry anything as you all know what bare hooks look like.Too easy.

Yes but the devil is in the detail. On that particular day did you decide to go with:

• The suicide,
  • Circle,
  • Octopus - circle,
  • Long shank
  • Pan fish
  • Mutu
  • J-hook,
  • Etc.

These details are important to the rest of us in deciding which hook isn't working in a particular location. ;)

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, DerekD said:

Yes but the devil is in the detail. On that particular day did you decide to go with:

• The suicide,
  • Circle,
  • Octopus - circle,
  • Long shank
  • Pan fish
  • Mutu
  • J-hook,
  • Etc.

These details are important to the rest of us in deciding which hook isn't working in a particular location. ;)

Well,you may want to stay away from suicide,circle and longshank then and if you want to fish somewhere that you can guarantee another person hasn't pulled fish from....fish beside me.

@masterfisho7, think also what conditions you are fishing and whether you are interested more in quality photos or videos.

My fishing at the moment is either night landbased fishing or kayak fishing. I use phone camera for night fishing photos and  cheap waterproof action camera for kayak fishing videos/ocassional photos. I would not take my full size dslr+ bag of lens&accessories etc  just because it is large,heavy and 100% chance I will add quickly bait/scent/sand/ salt/water to it.

If you are interested more in quality photos rather than videos - be careful about action cameras.  They use fisheye lens  which result in optical distortions which are particulary easily noticed  on images of people.  Have a look again on the  above $500 Gopro photos.  I would say - the head of the girl with a camera looks too small, while the head of the man with a stick looks  too big/stretched. Though any fish would look just perfect 😁. Some of action cameras ($$) or post processing software allow to reduce fisheye lens distortion.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, masterfisho7 said:

shopping.jpg

Keep looking on Fleabay if no hurry -  just over a week ago they (Gopro Hero7 Black) were just over $399 at The Bad Guys Fleabay store after coupon. Otherwise Digidirect ( 3 shops in Sydney)  still sells them for $498 - any reputable local store should be able to match or may be even beat that price. PM me if interested in  a direct link to $498 price .

• Like 1