Boat Seat shock absorbers

Slawman

Hi all,  I am posting here to see if there are any experiences in the forum on seating suspension systems.

I have been researching this over the last few weeks and there seem to be very little Australian experience (that I can find) with these systems.

I have been looking at Seaspension, Shockwave, Shark, Relaxn and a few others.  There certainly seems to be a lot to chose from and not easy to determine what might be suitable from local experience.

I run a 550 Formosa (aluminium) and find the thought of smoothing out a 2 meter chop very appealing....:) 

Do any members have these fitted or have experience using them?  Many thanks in advance for your consideration.

Edited by Slawman
additional information

Worked on rescue vessels with high end suspension seats where I still ended up standing in preference over them. I removed all the seats from my boat which has a 24' deep v so that I can push the boat hard in rough conditions.  Due to back and neck problems I will never buy an aluminium boat as they simply ride to hard. 

I have had suspension seats on 2 of my larger boats but both these boats were very smooth across the water anyhow so I never noticed any reel benefits and when there was bounce I would stand up and use my knees. In my 5-5.5 metre trailer boats I would take the seats out of the boat to give more room and when I had to sit down would use the wide gunnells . In boats less than 5 metres it's a compromise and suspension seats could be handy.

Frank

I have suspension seats in my Cat.

They work great and help as I cannot stand whilst underway at speed due to bad back and knees.

They take 95% of the shock out.

Only issue is that on the odd occasion you bottom the seat out I think it is worse than not having suspension seats at all.

My seats are standard KAB style truck seats.

• Thanks 1

Some great feedback there thanks Guys.  I must say I was surprised to see so little discussion on this particular item on forums in Australia.  The concept seems to be a lot more widely discussed on US forums and quite a few purpose built solutions available over there.

There are a few local solutions like the Relaxn base, waverider post and "Wave Master" but very little user experience or qualitative feedback on whether these systems stack up.  I imagine it is the sort of thing that could easily only partially work and therefore be a giant waste of money ie. if the system bottoms out a lot as fish2relax has said, that would probably wreck it for me and I would just end up standing up.

It certainly sounds like a concept, if it works, that I would be prepared to throw a few bob at. At the moment the only time I am riding in a 22 foot fiberglass enclosed is late at night in my dreams....

• 1 month later...

Well just to close off on this, I ended up going with a Seaspension setup as I wanted to keep the pedestal setup and not go to a box.  I am very happy with the improvement and it has made a positive difference to the ride.  Still using the legs on occasion however it is now more comfortable to sit under most situations.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Slawman said:

Well just to close off on this, I ended up going with a Seaspension setup as I wanted to keep the pedestal setup and not go to a box.  I am very happy with the improvement and it has made a positive difference to the ride.  Still using the legs on occasion however it is now more comfortable to sit under most situations.

Pics?

Mrs Ting thinks she needs a 'softer ride'. Apparently she doesn't like it too rough or bouncy. 

I've told to her sit further back. 

Compared to the Stessco Squire 385, this new Quintrex Renegade with it's blade hull is much softer, smoother. 

But, she still complains.

I just can't slow down for the life of me. I like the chop, taking on wake and waves. 

Edited by Ah Me Ting
Posted too soon

• 4 weeks later...

Well I have had another 15 or 20 hours up with these pedestals and probably at the point where I have almost forgotten what the fixed seats were like.  Out to 12 mile, a few round trips to long reef and Whale.  We are now running 5 knots faster in mild seas (1m swell/1m chop) which is just because it is now more comfortable.   They work over a pretty wide weight range, I had my brother in law out the other day and he is around 100kg and they work well with my son and he is about 70kg.  I am in the middle.    They are a distinct upgrade on a little ally boat in my opinion and well worth considering if you like a softer ride and head offshore every now and then.

• Like 3

On 5/22/2019 at 7:20 AM, Slawman said:

Well I have had another 15 or 20 hours up with these pedestals and probably at the point where I have almost forgotten what the fixed seats were like.  Out to 12 mile, a few round trips to long reef and Whale.  We are now running 5 knots faster in mild seas (1m swell/1m chop) which is just because it is now more comfortable.   They work over a pretty wide weight range, I had my brother in law out the other day and he is around 100kg and they work well with my son and he is about 70kg.  I am in the middle.    They are a distinct upgrade on a little ally boat in my opinion and well worth considering if you like a softer ride and head offshore every now and then.

They look great. Can you please PM me details of what/where/how much and if you had to fit new pedestal bases or if  you can use existing ones. Can you just buy the shock pole and fit your own seats or do you have to get the whole package? Also, what is the height like? Adjustable?

Thanks

• 1 month later...