Alternative to the FG knot for light rigs?

Berrero

Hello all,

What is everyone's recommendations for joining braid to mono on super light rigs? 

4-6lb braid, <10lb mono.

I've been using a surgeon's loop for the leader and then the standard fisherman's knot on the braid to tie on but sometimes have weird bust offs. 

I have no dramas learning the FG knot but seems a bit overkill for such light rigs.

TIA, Chris

Hi Berrero,

One of the first joiner knots I learned was the double uni or uni to uni knot (8 turns braid 4 or 5 turns mono) as it was recommended on the packet of berkley braid I bought. I've been using it for over a decade and can tie it quickly but sometimes as I was testing the knot it would break. I think the braid would sometimes slip under the mono knot and then bite in. The knots that passed the load test were surprisingly strong.

Over the last year I have been hearing about the double-double uni in which you double the braid over before tying it the same way but in this case you can drop the braid turns to say 6 turns. A mate uses the slim beauty and I decided to test my knot against his using the same leader and mono and head to head load. The double uni lost to the slim beauty. The slim beauty then lost to the double-double uni knot. I was happy as I didn't have to learn a new knot.

For people that struggle with a joiner knot I teach them the 4 turn surgeons joiner knot as it is really easy to tie but I generally don't like the amount of line wastage it entails.

Regards,

Derek

Edited by DerekD
  • Like 2

A lot of guys have trouble with FG's slipping with light leaders but for some reason I don't and tie them in everything down to 4lb leaders for flats bream and whiting.

Some say an FG is overkill in the ultra light stuff, but I totally disagree. I tie it not because it is the slimmest, but because its the strongest and in those circumstances every little bit helps. Perhaps aside from the PR its the only knot I know where the line will fail before the knot itself.

Before getting the FG down pat, I liked the slim beauty. Similar in strength to the double uni, but copes far better flying through the guides over a long session without banging itself to destruction.

I love the FG knot. I can also tie it fairly quickly and I reckon a big part of the speed comes down to constantly tieing them in different line diameters as well as different windy conditions. Can do them almost anywhere. Agree with the comment above that every bit counts.

I use double uni for 3lb braid to 6lb FC leader and have no issues. I generally run long leaders (few wraps on the spool), I use double uni up to 20lb leader, anything above I I'll do a FG.

Double uni is plenty strong if tied correctly as with any knot make sure you lubricate, that the wraps bunch up correctly and test it/make sure it's completely pulled down before snipping tag ends. I'll go 6-8 wraps of the 6lb fluoro and 12 wraps of the braid. The only times I have issues with the double uni is using rods that have microguides, the knot can be a bit too bulky for this.

Guest Guest123456789

I like uni to uni, for lightline 12 turns on the braid side, 4 on the mono. For a beginnner its a winner as they’re easy to tie correctly and low margin for error.