Safety and First aid kits on boats

Mmg

Boat first aid kits

sometimes overlooked

just a thought!

how many fisho,s carry first aid kits on their boats and what do they contain?

basic kits have very little and some useless stuff in them.

ive carried first aid kits ( made up myself or shop bought with extra ive added.

Carried on all my boats n in my cars since I was 18 years old, 59 now.

i have a few kits with all the normal stuff but I add some special things in case.=

1/ stingoes n epipen. (For stinging things) and allergic reactions( for crew)

2/ snake bite pressure bandage. Dont laugh but Ive had sea snakes swim up to and try slither aboard😜

3/ sea sick pills. (In case crew get sick)

4/ brand new scalpel n blades. (Self Hook removals) so i can keep fishing.

5/  headache pills.

6/  2 rolls of bear brand or scotch waterproof panel beating masking tape. (makes great short term casts or pressure dressings).

7/ eye flush n eye drops, mirror and foreign object remover.

8/ sun block.

9/ Imodium 😆( incase someone gets the 💩,s)

kits are used between my vehicles and boats.

i also carry 3 fire extinguishers and 4 extra life vests.

extra fire extinguishers are in case I see a vessel or vehicle) that needs assistance, thus if use 1 of mine I can still stay on the water without being fines (when boating)  n have spares.

spare life vests in case I see  vessel in desress without life vests that I can throw to the occupants without having to give my main ones.

i also carry a large life saver ring With 100 Mtr cord attached, bought from a boating shop. (That can be thrown to a person in the water.)

IMG_7730.PNG

Edited by Mmg
Spelling error, 😆
  • Like 1

I prefer to make up my own first aid kit, most you buy don't have common things in them, or lots of stuff that's useless, most common items, Panadol, band aids and sea sick tablets are not in any off the shelf kits that I have seen.

I also regularly do first aid courses (bronze medallion holder also). I have quite an extensive first aid kit, including epi pen and Tacmed bleeding control kit, tournniquet, trauma dressings etc. Might sound over the top but given the amount if shark encounters we have while underwater hunting its not really. Even landing any shark or even having a hook or knife accident could end in a very dangerous situation very quickly. Hypothermia blankets and spare towels are kept in a dry bag underfloor.

For stings from jelly fish and fire corals (regular for us) warm water from the engine helps break down the toxins and relieve pain quite quickly, warm water can be filled into a large plastic tub, esky or even a kill bag so a person can submerge in the warm water. By the way a large insulated kill bag can also be used as a thermal barrier in a hypothermia situation, the one we have is marlin size so could fit two people (good life raft too).

Life jackets for each person is simply law and common sense but I also double my flares and carry rocket flares, epirb and Plb, fitted radio and handheld, extinguishers etc. Im heading away from inflatable life jackets and going back to coastal foam filled. 

The creams and stingy lotions seem to of gone from the first aid courses Ive been on, also cleaning wounds was a "no" on my last first aid course. Also breaths had been removed from CPR and only compressions on my last training. Im going to do another first aid update quite soon which will be interesting to see what changes have been made.

Some may think I take risks heading 80km offshore in a 5m boat but in all honesty unless fire kills my boat very little else will (zodiac 550 pro). As soon I started taking kids onboard my boats I decided I had to make all my boats and myself as safe as I possible could. Check out this place for very good first aid kits https://tacmedaustralia.com.au/pages/about-us

By the way I also head into remote wilderness areas which I have a seperate first aid kit to the boat, our cars all have their own first aid kits too.

And yes we regularly use parts from our kits, mostly helping those who don't carry anything.

Edited by JonD
  • Like 1

The fact its for a boat doesn't really matter, it still should be the same as a general 1st aid kit.

Id be starting out with a regular kit of some kind then adding to is as you think or going with something thought out like this-

https://firstaidkitsaustralia.com.au/first-aid-kits/marine-boating/G-class-marine-first-aid-kit?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIst-_iYCL4QIVBB2PCh3fCw4QEAYYASABEgKyb_D_BwE

Personally I carry very basic kit in my tinny as that's all I need because I am not far from shore, if I were 20km off shore then different story, maybe even think about a defib & or EpiPen if you think it would be of benefit!

I carry a basic first aid kit as I have even onsite at work only the basic stuff gets used in even bad accidents.  Admittedly on a boat help may be further away.

The one addition is a brand new set of side cutters.  To cut hooks if there is an incident.

I always suggest sunnies to protect the eyes and my kids know I expect them on when fishing not that they come out much.

Most of my fishing is either kayak or on foot, I only carry the bare essentials being a snake bite kit and an extra compression bandage with a couple of alginate dressings for bleeding control and a triangle bandage also carry a  Personal Locator Beacon which lives in my fishing backpack

I have just completed an advanced resuscitation course with Marine Rescue and they teach 2 breaths to 20 compressions. They did say that if facial injury prevents breathing then compressions only as some air does exchange due to chest being compresses

1 hour ago, JimC said:

I have just completed an advanced resuscitation course with Marine Rescue and they teach 2 breaths to 20 compressions. They did say that if facial injury prevents breathing then compressions only as some air does exchange due to chest being compresses

How long ago was that ? That's what we did with the bronze medallion and when I did my pool lifeguard courses but the last one I did which covered defibrillator we were told that enough air is taken into the the lungs from just doing compressions. I brought this up with the local swimming pool life guards who also do the same now but will include breaths if two people are assisting. My wife did a refresher first aid through work at the same time which included the breaths, you think it would be a universal thing where each group would teach the same. 

Any full time medical workers able to shed light on this ?

16 hours ago, JimC said:

sure it's not 2 to 30?

I work in a hospital and have not long done a mandatory reaccreditation in advanced life support which teaches 2 to 30 more importantly it's about quality chest compressions at a rate of approximately 100/minute

it's becoming well accepted that chest compressions are all that is necessary outside the hospital setting I certainly wouldn't do mouth to mouth (in hospital setting we have ventilation equipment)

• Like 2

I must agree with @dirvin21 outside the hospital setting it is about the quality chest compressions.

I can tell you as a clinician and a cardiac arrest survivor it is the chest compressions that do the trick. 

Just yesterday it was 9 years since I had a cardiac arrest. Stewy saved my life as I stopped breathing and had no heart beat. 

He had the NSW Ambulance on the phone and they told him to commence 400 compressions and no breaths. Paramedics arrived and defibrillated me.

Here is my trophy - one that no one wants to win really. 

Stewy saved my life - he is my hero. 

044B3104-8670-460A-88A6-82D0E8B187A5.jpeg

• Like 8

On ‎3‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 3:48 PM, mrsswordfisherman said:

I must agree with @dirvin21 outside the hospital setting it is about the quality chest compressions.

I can tell you as a clinician and a cardiac arrest survivor it is the chest compressions that do the trick. 

Just yesterday it was 9 years since I had a cardiac arrest. Stewy saved my life as I stopped breathing and had no heart beat. 

He had the NSW Ambulance on the phone and they told him to commence 400 compressions and no breaths. Paramedics arrived and defibrillated me.

Here is my trophy - one that no one wants to win really. 

Stewy saved my life - he is my hero. 

044B3104-8670-460A-88A6-82D0E8B187A5.jpeg

Wow, that's a great story to be able to tell Donna, not to many can express that 1st hand!

You can get into kits as much as you like but the basic principals of first aid is the best thing you can have at your disposal imo

You can make a bandage out of a shirt or a splint out of 2 fishing rods but its the know how that's more important!

I've done the St.Johns 1st aid course about 8 times now through work & while small things have change within the teaching over the years the best thing you can ever do is at least know how to deal with a situation when it arises.

DRSABCD used to be just DRABC but at least knowing the basics is going to be better that having a triangular bandage & no idea how to use it!

I sort of feel lucky I have never been a called upon to render 1st aid in a serious situation but I am confident that having done the course so many times that my training would just kick in.

Probably the first one on the plan is the easiest to forget at times which is ensuring your own safety, you cant do 1st aid to someone else if your taken out of the picture yourself!!

Edited by kingie chaser

We discussed that the other day the order of how to do things.

About a month before my cardiac arrest Stewy had done a recert in First Aid and CPR. I helped him with it by asking questions etc. I guess it was fresh in his mind. 

Our story was on TV news. We had a reunion with the call taker and the paramedic. The paramedics even visited me in hospital. It is important for essential services to recognise lives they save. In my case, a silent full cardiac arrest, survival rate is 3% and that usually occurs on an operating table or in a hospital setting. If Stewy was not there or did not have the ability to keep my heart going until the defibrillator arrived I would be not around. 

We sat and listened to the 000 call. We have a copy of it and listen each year. The call taker was magnificent in keeping Stewy calm and focussed. It is not easy to remember and do everything in order in that situation. 

So back to the post of @Mmg safety equipment and anything and everything you need in a first aid kit is well worth it. I like all those extras you carry Mmg. You should see our kits hehehe. (See pic)

@kingie chaser your training will kick in if you ever have to use it

Raiders do a First Aid course please;)

49FB3A36-2530-4DED-8681-56B4CA5A8A2F.jpeg

• Like 1

@Mmg I have used it lots. I used to take it to fishraider events and often check mine and other people's blood pressures. 

I am a registered nurse and certainly can do an assessment using these tools.  Not something people normally carry of course. 

I do like your first aid kit ideas and thanks for sharing them with us all. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

Last outdoor expo I went to I went ot the ST JOHNS exhibit and picked up one of these bad boys for like $30 or something. Fits in my safety gear box in a nice little bag.

https://shop.stjohn.org.au/camping-first-aid-safety-kit_1001319/

The benefit of this specific kit it has a whistle, wind proof matches and a poncho. Very conveinent and has basics to bet you out of trouble.

I guess regarding safety gear is knowing how to use it to and if anyone else is on your boat, having them know where to access it.

3 hours ago, JA1990 said:

Last outdoor expo I went to I went ot the ST JOHNS exhibit and picked up one of these bad boys for like $30 or something. Fits in my safety gear box in a nice little bag.

Just noticed this kit is on sale this Saturday at the German supermarket for the same price as well as squidgies slick rigs

• Like 1