Port Stephens- Cracking Day Out

Scratchie

G’day raiders, 

Got a late call up from Woodsy on Sunday arvo and I could tell he was keen for a fish! So we made plans to meet up at 5am and slowly made our way to the bait grounds. 

Got there and the wind and current were terrible and we struggled for an hour and a half for livies! Managed 4 and said bugger this, let’s go! 

The water looked nice but as we headed out to the fad conditions deteriorated and we were now in a slightly large swell but the water was good at 25.2. Hopeful of a few dollies we trolled lures and picked up one after the other, all around the 59cm mark. We caught heaps which was great fun but didn’t feed the appetite. Gave up about 10am and trolled lures back to Broughton hoping for a Cinderella bite! No luck there except for another 59cm dolly. 

So up lures and head to our snaps spot! First drift second cast and the reel starts singing! A good fight and Woodsys required on the net. It’s a cracker and hi5’s all round. Next cast bang I’m on again, another good fish into the bag. A couple casts later and bang I’m onto another screamer! Again Woodsy on the net, now it was just becoming embarrassing still waiting for Woodsy to get a hit. I had to change leader and jig as the last fish almost done me. As I was doing this the wind and drift changed direction but once I’d finished, I cast out and was on again this time it was unstoppable and done me in the shallow water. Damn, I was on a roll. Managed one more at 50cm plus and we decided to move. 

Next spot, I dropped another and then we moved to our final spot. Second cast and Woodsy finally loaded up and this time it was my turn on the net. Another added. Then Woodsy casts out again, and his reel was screaming. So much so we had to chase this fish! He played it really well and unsure of what it was the tension was high as this thing took line at will. Eventually it gave in and we safely boated and released a thumping Mac tuna. Not bad on a snapper stick! After that we called it quits as a massive storm was approaching! Made it safely back to the ramp as the storm hit. 

Another cracking day out on the water for Woodsy and I. Gotta love Port Stephens! 

Thanks for reading, 

cheers scratchie!!! 1AFA074D-4D82-42D5-81A8-0891681954EB.thumb.jpeg.49575fedddeb9b7113694ad46313c92e.jpegA3F75C6D-1BFF-4329-9C07-0FC6171ADF9B.thumb.jpeg.a2a1c529ea49d10529996f21caca3dae.jpeg504DAC41-3BE0-407B-A36B-90D81A5FE6CA.thumb.jpeg.3518a172d0b8479e5a6920c7279057ef.jpeg

• Like 16

Great stuff, Jeff! Looks like you got your mojo back. 😎 So, you didn’t fish the tide change for snapper... that’s helped me decide what to do on Wednesday if I get out. Chase dollies and beakies first, particularly the beakies on the tide change (about 8:30). Then chase reds. 😎 Good to see the mack tuna! I’ve heard there are some long tail about, too.

• Like 1

Yeah great day again Scratchie, even know I got smacked badly in the fish count, you got some great fish. But persistence with plenty of plastic changes I was lucky enough not to go home with a duck egg.  

Woodsy 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Berleyguts said:

Great stuff, Jeff! Looks like you got your mojo back. 😎 So, you didn’t fish the tide change for snapper... that’s helped me decide what to do on Wednesday if I get out. Chase dollies and beakies first, particularly the beakies on the tide change (about 8:30). Then chase reds. 😎 Good to see the mack tuna! I’ve heard there are some long tail about, too.

Thanks Baz! Mojo has been cranking last few outings! Glad the fish decided to play ball today! 

1 hour ago, tyrone07 said:

Cracking days fellas, make it look too easy

Haha, it was for me! I stole all of Woodsy’s good plastics! 🤣

30 minutes ago, zmk1962 said:

Oh why oh why do I live in Sydney!!! Great stuff fellas- jealous+!!!

Cheers Zoran 

Your choice Zoran! Lol 😝 Don’t think I could live anywhere else! 

18 minutes ago, Woodsy1 said:

Yeah great day again Scratchie, even know I got smacked badly in the fish count, you got some great fish. But persistence with plenty of plastic changes I was lucky enough not to go home with a duck egg.  

Woodsy 

Haha champion! I found your repellent and it’s time for payback from last year!!! To be fair, as we say “just keep casting”. You did and came up trumps! Not many people land an 8 kilo maccy on a snapper stick! Awesome effort! 

13 minutes ago, GoingFishing said:

Awesome reds guys.......you two certainly make a good team 

Thanks Sam! As above, just keep casting! That’s our philosophy and we stick to it!! You can’t catch shit if your lines not in the water! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Ryder said:

Great report. Great results. Have a plan, have options, and have good company.

Thanks Andrew! Pretty much sums it up! 

13 hours ago, gundi4 said:

Good stuff gents

Cheers 

10 hours ago, rickmarlin62 said:

Nice   stop it  i cant get up there with this weather

It looks good all week. 

2 hours ago, Ribs said:

👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👍🏾👍🏾👍🏾👍🏾👍🏾

Wow... killing it boys..... well done ! 

That hooks looks like it has been man handled with pliers 😱

Cheers Craig! Nope, that’s how the hook was. I could feel him grinding the whole time. You should have see the leader! 

1 hour ago, Yowie said:

Shame about the size of the dollies, but the reddies certainly made up for it. Nice fish.

Sure did Yowie! Alway put a smile on my face! 😃

2 hours ago, LuckyFil said:

The snapper at Broughton get nervous as soon as they hear the sound of the Scratchie boat arriving

Haha, I’m very fortunate that Woodsy takes his weapon of a boat! They’re pretty scared of that too! Lol 😝 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Berleyguts said:

I forgot to say, “Well done, Woodsy!”, too. To effort on the mack tuna, Woodsy! And, of course, getting a few reds in the end! On top of that, you provided the boat! 😎

Thanks Baz