Penn Slammer 3 any good?

Seafarer5

Hi, 

wondering if anyone has a Penn Slammer 3 and if they are any good? Looking at a 6500 HS model. Apparently a lot of charter boats use them now so they must be pretty robust and good value for money.

Thanks in advance 

They are very good however consider the spinfisher vi SSV series. Main difference is the slammer 3 has the drag stack being compressed from top and bottom which is better at the top end of max drag. The SSV vi has a plastic drag seal which has the downside of potentially melting in high drag situations. Toss that up against the money - both are supposedly amazing reels with great sealing.

On 3/20/2019 at 2:02 PM, anthman said:

They are very good however consider the spinfisher vi SSV series. Main difference is the slammer 3 has the drag stack being compressed from top and bottom which is better at the top end of max drag. The SSV vi has a plastic drag seal which has the downside of potentially melting in high drag situations. Toss that up against the money - both are supposedly amazing reels with great sealing.

Thanks mate I thought about those but the slammer 3 just feels so much smoother in the hand. Cheers 

• 8 months later...

I just ordered a slammer III 10500 for a swains trip, I really wanted a saltiga or Stella for the trip but the dollars just couldn’t cut it, so after extensive reviews and utube videos even showing full dismantle and parts comparisons between a few of the bigger top $ reels. I’m convinced the slammer will definitely do the job and more. Comparable ratios, line capacity and equal or bigger drag capacity and arguably sealed better as well. I’m convinced enough to buy one but will have feedback to give one way or the other after swains and hopefully some donkey GT’s, mackerel, dog tooth etc etc

• Like 1

On 3/19/2019 at 9:55 AM, Seafarer5 said:

Hi, 

wondering if anyone has a Penn Slammer 3 and if they are any good? Looking at a 6500 HS model. Apparently a lot of charter boats use them now so they must be pretty robust and good value for money.

Thanks in advance 

Those charter boats are usually $&@$hit and so is the gear they give you. 

• Haha 1

Bang for your buck its hard to go past what they sell the Penn spinfishers for these days. Particularly if you're looking for a workhorse all rounder.

I've got one that i grabbed for throwing baits at tailing marlin or switch baiting. Haven't found a time to use it yet but eventually ill see how it handles