Lawrrrence

Alvey 500c5 and 12ft Ugly Stick

Hello fellow raiders,

First post quick intro,

My name is Lawrence I'm 26 and keen novice fisher and I've just settled near Newcastle, so I have all the fishing options of the lakes, port Stephens, the jettys and break walls.

I've had the pleasure of being able to research all the topics and posts and build up some solid knowledge on just about everything.

I have just purchased an Alvey 500c5 I'm going to spool it with 8kg momoi hi catch and I have bought a 12ft Ugly Stick Gold 5-10kg.

Is this a ridiculous setup ?

Is the rod to long for a 5 inch alvey is the retrieval going to be a hassle?

I read the 500c5 can handle up to 10kg line so I didn't want to get the shorter 10"6 - 3-5kg rod, and put 8kg line on it, I didn't really think about the drag at the time to be honest.

I thought if the reel can handle the line and its lighter in the hand then it would be slightly more comfortable to use for extended sessions.

Should I buy a smaller rod for the 500c5 and a larger alvey reel for the 12ft ? If so please tell me what larger alvey reel you recommend.

I will mainly be fishing the break walls with pilchards and I may even throw from the beach occasionally.

Would love to get big bream, snapper, flathead, kingfish and maybe even a jew with it.

Lawrence. In my opinion the set up sounds fine, I have a 14 foot rod with a 5/1/2" Alvey and I don't have any problems with it, think for memory I have 15lb Mazima green on it but could be 12lb. Don't use it it often these days but in the past was quiet good outfit.

Frank

• Thanks 1

Hi,

Welcome aboard.

I have a 12' Ugly Stik in my collection. I use a Fin-Nor LT100 Spin reel with 15lb Mono. I really don't know about the Alvey.

But on that rod I would be using a Spin Reel.

I am sure the experts on this Forum will help you.

Cheers

• Thanks 1

Firstly, does the rod have a low winch mount and a large first stripper guide? If a medium or high mount and no large first guide, it’s not suited to an Alvey. I use a 5 inch C5 on a 10ft Snyderglass MT4120 rod (10ft blank plus sand spike) with 4kg line. I’m sure, if you’re fishing 8kg, the longer heavier rod will be fine... as long as it has the low winch mount and large first guide.

29 minutes ago, Berleyguts said:

Firstly, does the rod have a low winch mount and a large first stripper guide? If a medium or high mount and no large first guide, it’s not suited to an Alvey. I use a 5 inch C5 on a 10ft Snyderglass MT4120 rod (10ft blank plus sand spike) with 4kg line. I’m sure, if you’re fishing 8kg, the longer heavier rod will be fine... as long as it has the low winch mount and large first guide.

Thanks for the replies and suggestions FrankS ,rebel and berleyguts I appreciate it.

Berley, the rod does have a low winch mount and a massive first stripper guide. I have never seen anything like it before.

Can I ask what species you target with your setup?

1 minute ago, Lawrrrence said:

Thanks for the replies and suggestions FrankS ,rebel and berleyguts I appreciate it.

Berley, the rod does have a low winch mount and a massive first stripper guide. I have never seen anything like it before.

Can I ask what species you target with your setup?

I fish the beach for whiting, bream, tailor and salmon and I also use it off the rocks for bream, tailor and salmon as well as pigs (rock  blackfish/black drummer), although the latter can be a challenge on 4kg!

• Like 1

I love my 500C5. It catches everything from whiting to legal kings. Probably best $25 ever spent on reels.

I find 5" reel size comfortable  for up to 8.6 foot rods - I used 8.6"/500C5  a lot for light night rock/beach fishing for bream and drummers when fish comes really close and no far casting required.

For 10 foot rod  I would use 6" reel . I used 10.6 foot with 5" reel several times on rocks and found  it a bit annoying to wind it back.

For 12+foot rods - 6.5" reel - it is heavy even with plastic backplate  however retrieves faster.

As you can see others may have different opinions.

Alvey recomends 2-3m rod for 500C5 reel.  https://alvey.com.au/products/500c/

I would suggest you  to observe a bit what rod lengths people are using and how far they cast  in your local fishing spots before up/downsizing reel or rod.

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, savit said:

I love my 500C5. It catches everything from whiting to legal kings. Probably best $25 ever spent on reels.

I find 5" reel size comfortable  for up to 8.6 foot rods - I used 8.6"/500C5  a lot for light night rock/beach fishing for bream and drummers when fish comes really close and no far casting required.

For 10 foot rod  I would use 6" reel . I used 10.6 foot with 5" reel several times on rocks and found  it a bit annoying to wind it back.

For 12+foot rods - 6.5" reel - it is heavy even with plastic backplate  however retrieves faster.

As you can see others may have different opinions.

Alvey recomends 2-3m rod for 500C5 reel.  https://alvey.com.au/products/500c/

I would suggest you  to observe a bit what rod lengths people are using and how far they cast  in your local fishing spots before up/downsizing reel or rod.

I think it also comes down to the weight and stiffness of the blank. I use my 5 inch Alvey on a 4 wrap blank - 10 ft (MT4120). I use my 6 1/2 inch Alvey on an 8 wrap blank - 12ft (nearly 13ft with the sand spike), a MT8144. I rarely use this these days as I find it pretty heavy. I also have a MT8120 (10ft), which I used with a threadline amd caught a lot of fish with it. However, I stripped it down and extended the butt so I could rebuild it for an overhead for high speed spinning off the rocks. It’s still stripped down - I never got right into the LBG - I finally bought a boat!

Edited by Berleyguts

Berley, that sounds a hell lot of fun chasing them on the beach on 4kg.

Savit, if you find a 500c5 and a 8"6 rod comfortable I'm 99%! sure I will find it just as suitable and comfortable as you say.

I'm gathering a 500c5 should really be put on a shorter rod (8-9ft) while the 12ft Ugly Stick should be fitted with a 650 reel.

In saying that though in reference to Berleys set ups,

The Ugly Stick (UGS- SP1202ma) does feel quite heavy and the tip is extremely whippy ? And soft ... so    it would probably be better suited to the heavier 650 reel for balance and the beach for casts that need to go over the wash when using pilchards and soft baits,

...Since I will mainly be going to breakwalls and won't be needing to cast far I guess, I read all the fish are closer to the rocks than you think.

So I think I will buy a  3-5kg line rating 8-9"ft rod and spool it with 800m of 5kg line on the 500c5 reel,

And save the 8kg for a 650.

If Savit is catching legal kings and almost everything else on his 500 and Berley is having fun with 4kg I think I should be more than happy with 5kg and it should land me most of what I want.

I've never been beach fishing before but now I have a rod and some knowledge to set it up properly for when the time comes to give it a crack.

Berley I want a boat lol!! Tell us what you got !

Posted (edited)

I don’t think you need to fish heavier then 6kg from the beach, unless you are specifically targeting mulloway. You can still manage a jew on 6 if you take your time. If you think about it, apart from jew and sharks, what are you likely to catch from the beach that weighs more than 4kg? From breakwalls and the rocks, I can see the need for 6, 8 or 10kg line class but a lot of fun can be had on 4!

I’d suggest taking your reel into a quality tackle store and try it on different rods to see how it feels for balance etc.

I’ve had a few smalll boats - my current boat is a 4.49m Stacer Outlaw side console, which seems to serve me well for fishing solo or 2 up.

Edited by Berleyguts

Ok Gentlemen,

The balance was absolutely horrendous so I went and ordered an Alvey Estuary Special 55 will see how that flys when it arrives.

10"6 / 3-5kg line rating

Berley I googled the stacer, that's an absolute little Gun of a boat.

Will keep the Ugly Stick and load it up with a bigger Alvey one day if the occasion calls.

If you look on Alveys website, they recommend what size reels go with what rod length.

The 55 will suit a 10'6" rod a whole lot better and a 650 would better suit your 12 footer.

I have a 650A5 Alvey on a Gary Howard Surf Classic which is 13'6", but a very light rod for its length and the balance is near perfect. The 650 also balances well on my old Butterworth 7144 which is 12'6".

• Thanks 1