Big walks little results

We arrived at the Maquarie river at 5am to try get a good friend his first Murray Cod. I was expecting the river to be low but it was disappointing to find it low and very dirty. From there it was an hours hike into a location I have previously had good success. We arrived just on first light and fished surface lures until 8:30am. No action at all which was disappointing as I'd talked it up.

Time for a morning coffee and to regroup. We changed up lures and headed further along the river. For the next 4 hours we fished hard throwing just about every lure in the tacklebox and the only excitement came from a couple of close encounters with very large red bellied black snakes.

We had lunch and started making our way back. Once again no sign of a fish until we arrived back at the first spot we fished in the morning. Due to the shallow nature of the pool I decided to throw a shallow diving barra classic in gold colour.  It worked well just hitting the tops of the rocks as I retrieved. As we fished our way along storm clouds were building I was hopeful it would bring about some action and it did. Over the next hour I had 3 hits losing the first 2 mid fight and landing a 45cm cod.  

From then things went quiet and unfortunately my friend will have to wait until another day to land his first cod. 

Cheers, Trav

• Like 3

A bit disappointing for ur mate Trav but you would know that those days happen when chasing MC, I'm sure that with your expertise and determination your mate will be onto them soon enough. Good luck mate and keep the reports coming. bn

• Like 1