Challange Sunday

aami

Welcome to my first fishing report! 

Sunday was the day. David and I had registered to participate in the Pirtek Fishing Challenge. We had been talking about it for weeks discussing ideas on where we should fish and couldn't wait for the species list to be released. On Sunday morning we both bounced out of bed before dawn, loaded the yaks and we were off. We had planned to be on the water when the challenge officially started.

us.thumb.jpg.1c2128b54f8b53f037b639572e487ab8.jpg

As we drove to our remote destination on the Nambucca River, I lost hope as the river levels appeared low. As we got closer I noticed it was low but was running well and was surprisingly warm with plenty of insect life around which is always a good sign. We launched the kayaks and within a few metres the casting started.

water.thumb.jpg.636c1770b889a46edc9a871012f57703.jpg

I was using a Taylormade Nippy nymph and David was using a zman grub. After just a handful of casts David had a bite and landed the first fish of the day! He had a small 16cm Bass but he was determined to measure and photograph in the case it was the only fish he caught. Feeling positive that there must be bigger fish around I landed a cast straight up the middle and BAM I had a fish. I should mention this was the second time I have ever been yak fishing and this was the first fish I have hooked from a yak so you can only imagine the excitement as I reeled in my catch. I was stoked, a nice 32cm Bass and a decent catch to log on the board.

In true competitive style, all niceties were off .. I had caught the bigger fish.. So the competition was on between us..  

The banter was thrown as we both made casts along the river, over rocks, under tree branches, casting every opportunity we saw. David had diverted my attention to an eagle soaring above us and as I stalled he landed a perfect sneaky cast up in front of me where I was about to aim. You can imagine what I was thinking. I wasn't going to let him steal my thunder so I fired a cast landing not far from his on some duck weed and before I could blink my lure was gone. With the shear shock I let out a huge squeal, flung my rod back in fright and I had unknowingly set the hooks. Regaining my balance I could tell this wasn't a small fish. The fight was on. Remembering I am a novice, I haven't quiet mastered the art of controlling the yak, so at this point I had started doing 'donuts' in the water as I was being towed around by the monster on the end of my line. I happened to catch a glimpse of David, he was sitting back watching it all unfold laughing so hard at me. After what felt like a lifetime of struggle, I finally landed the fish in the yak.

I was beyond excited as I had caught a very healthy sized Bass at 42cm.  

1160447886_myfish.thumb.jpg.dcaf29f59def57672f800f68e5eebf53.jpg               

Now I was well and truly in the lead. I could see the frustration in David's casts. As all hope was lost and he had basically given in to defeat, he had a half hearted flick into a dark and gloomy log and from out of nowhere there was a splash, his lure was being chased and was snapped up. The look of relief was priceless when the fish was landed. Patience and persistence in this game does eventually pay off. He had a nice 36cm Bass. Out came the camera! 

By now the sky had come over cloudy and it was starting to sprinkle rain so we decided to turn around and head back. On our return trip I managed another three smaller Bass taking my days total to five and David had two.

I had definitely earnt bragging rights..!!

bass.thumb.jpg.ed7ffeb8c67d0e34278c55e1652898fb.jpg

We both had a fun and eventful morning on the water.  

Cheers for now,

Amy x

• Like 11

You go girl! 💪 Nothing better than wiping the smile of your partners face! Lol. Especially Dave’s! Haha

Thats a cracking bass and you should rub that in at every opportunity! Well done 👍 

cheers scratchie!!! 

• Like 1

On 3/23/2019 at 12:18 PM, aami said:

Welcome to my first fishing report! 

Sunday was the day. David and I had registered to participate in the Pirtek Fishing Challenge. We had been talking about it for weeks discussing ideas on where we should fish and couldn't wait for the species list to be released. On Sunday morning we both bounced out of bed before dawn, loaded the yaks and we were off. We had planned to be on the water when the challenge officially started.

us.thumb.jpg.1c2128b54f8b53f037b639572e487ab8.jpg

As we drove to our remote destination on the Nambucca River, I lost hope as the river levels appeared low. As we got closer I noticed it was low but was running well and was surprisingly warm with plenty of insect life around which is always a good sign. We launched the kayaks and within a few metres the casting started.

water.thumb.jpg.636c1770b889a46edc9a871012f57703.jpg

I was using a Taylormade Nippy nymph and David was using a zman grub. After just a handful of casts David had a bite and landed the first fish of the day! He had a small 16cm Bass but he was determined to measure and photograph in the case it was the only fish he caught. Feeling positive that there must be bigger fish around I landed a cast straight up the middle and BAM I had a fish. I should mention this was the second time I have ever been yak fishing and this was the first fish I have hooked from a yak so you can only imagine the excitement as I reeled in my catch. I was stoked, a nice 32cm Bass and a decent catch to log on the board.

In true competitive style, all niceties were off .. I had caught the bigger fish.. So the competition was on between us..  

The banter was thrown as we both made casts along the river, over rocks, under tree branches, casting every opportunity we saw. David had diverted my attention to an eagle soaring above us and as I stalled he landed a perfect sneaky cast up in front of me where I was about to aim. You can imagine what I was thinking. I wasn't going to let him steal my thunder so I fired a cast landing not far from his on some duck weed and before I could blink my lure was gone. With the shear shock I let out a huge squeal, flung my rod back in fright and I had unknowingly set the hooks. Regaining my balance I could tell this wasn't a small fish. The fight was on. Remembering I am a novice, I haven't quiet mastered the art of controlling the yak, so at this point I had started doing 'donuts' in the water as I was being towed around by the monster on the end of my line. I happened to catch a glimpse of David, he was sitting back watching it all unfold laughing so hard at me. After what felt like a lifetime of struggle, I finally landed the fish in the yak.

I was beyond excited as I had caught a very healthy sized Bass at 42cm.  

1160447886_myfish.thumb.jpg.dcaf29f59def57672f800f68e5eebf53.jpg               

Now I was well and truly in the lead. I could see the frustration in David's casts. As all hope was lost and he had basically given in to defeat, he had a half hearted flick into a dark and gloomy log and from out of nowhere there was a splash, his lure was being chased and was snapped up. The look of relief was priceless when the fish was landed. Patience and persistence in this game does eventually pay off. He had a nice 36cm Bass. Out came the camera! 

By now the sky had come over cloudy and it was starting to sprinkle rain so we decided to turn around and head back. On our return trip I managed another three smaller Bass taking my days total to five and David had two.

I had definitely earnt bragging rights..!!

bass.thumb.jpg.ed7ffeb8c67d0e34278c55e1652898fb.jpg

We both had a fun and eventful morning on the water.  

Cheers for now,

Amy x

Great report and congrats on the score. Who did you catch the fishing bug from??

• Like 1

INTRIGUED! I usually read the quotes which members put up with their posts. One that I like is "if I had a Zebra, I would call him Spot". Amy what do you interpret your saying to mean?

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose.

RSVP...bn

16 minutes ago, big Neil said:

INTRIGUED! I usually read the quotes which members put up with their posts. One that I like is "if I had a Zebra, I would call him Spot". Amy what do you interpret your saying to mean?

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose.

RSVP...bn

Sorry Neil, Not my quote. Belongs to the above "Nutsaboutfishing"

Cheers