Global Positioning System Rollover week—06 April 2019

mrsswordfisherman

Thanks Donna. I couldn’t find a reference on the AMSA website from my phone but I’ll try on my PC later.

However, you’d think that since our EPIRBs are registered with model type, mobile phone number and email, they’d just let us know if our particular model was an issue!

Edited by Berleyguts

4 hours ago, cfish said:

I believe an incorrect time is the most likely problem,

4 hours ago, Berleyguts said:

However, you’d think that since our EPIRBs are registered with model type, mobile phone number and email, they’d just let us know if our particular model was an issue!

From my research, the older systems will have a problem producing the correct time stamp for the gps record after April 6, 2019 - not an issue if you are navigating using that GPS system to just navigate ... but can be an issue to any system that is being fed information from that GPS and relying on that time stamped data to be correct for its work.  

So for me, my old Eagle Seacharter will work stand alone,  but I have to wait and see how my connected VHF radio will process the GPS Lat/ Long it receives from the GPS. Hopefully it will not look at the time stamps and just accept the Lat / Long and  things will continue to be sweet.

My main concern, like @Berleyguts is my EPIRB system, where the GPS lat / long data is sent to satellites and other emergency receiver stations. I am frustrated that GME has not posted a compliance statement - especially since EPIRBS are typically less then 5yrs old... and fall well within the week rollover issue. I purchased mine in 2016 with a 5yr warranty.

Other companies have posted compliance statements eg: 

"It has been investigated and stated by maker Orolia that no products will be affetced by this upcoming rolover ie all will work and operation as today without any problems."
https://www.serviceport.se/en/products/communication/beacons-transponders/

...I've written a pretty stern email to GME to get their act together and put something up on their website. I'll share whatever response I get.

Cheers Zoran

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, zmk1962 said:

My main concern, like @Berleyguts is my EPIRB system, where the GPS lat / long data is sent to satellites and other emergency receiver stations. I am frustrated that GME has not posted a compliance statement - especially since EPIRBS are typically less then 5yrs old... and fall well within the week rollover issue. I purchased mine in 2016 with a 5yr warranty.

"It has been investigated and stated by maker Orolia that no products will be affetced by this upcoming rolover ie all will work and operation as today without any problems."

...I've written a pretty stern email to GME to get their act together and put something up on their website. I'll share whatever response I get.

Cheers Zoran

Thanks Zoran,

I’d be interested to hear what they have to say. I think my GME EPIRB will be 6 years old sometime next year, so will need replacing then anyway but I’d like to see it serve out it’s 6 years!

Just as an update, I have followed up my email to GME re EPIRB operation with two phone calls. I have been speaking to their technical support and the last call just ended a few minutes ago. They are still unable to give a definitive statement that the EPIRBs currently being sold (and ones still under warranty) will function correctly after April 6th.  With 3 days to go this has left me a bit hot under the collar... so I have made the following statements to their Tech Support:

1. On Sunday April 7th, I will be 10km offshore. I legally have to carry a functioning EPIRB. I will be carrying my GME MT600G on board as its still under original GME Warranty and hence warranted to operate correctly.  So as a current customer I have made them aware of my intent to use the product as I have received NOTHING from GME to tell me otherwise. 

2. If GME cannot give a definitive statement that the current EPIRBs (and ones under Warranty) will continue to operate correctly after April 6th, then they should seriously consider issuing a statement grounding all GME EPIRB users until they have a definitive answer, otherwise they are exposing all their customers in the event of an emergency, and consequently exposing GME to all sorts of legal implications. Staying silent at a time like this is really not going to go well for them if something untoward happens.

The Tech Support rep said he now understands the severity and implications and will be immediately escalating this up the line.

Lets see what happens.

Cheers Zoran

• Thanks 4

Hi Raiders....

I just got home, washed the boat, had some dinner and a shower...opened my mail and found I had received this reply from GME today:

image.png.cbf798e7fa91b93612abd25b40717f16.png

So my MT600G is ok.... hope this provides some answer for others....

Cheers Zoran

• Thanks 4

On 3/28/2019 at 7:59 PM, zmk1962 said:

From my research, the older systems will have a problem producing the correct time stamp for the gps record after April 6, 2019 - not an issue if you are navigating using that GPS system to just navigate ... but can be an issue to any system that is being fed information from that GPS and relying on that time stamped data to be correct for its work.  

So for me, my old Eagle Seacharter will work stand alone,  but I have to wait and see how my connected VHF radio will process the GPS Lat/ Long it receives from the GPS. Hopefully it will not look at the time stamps and just accept the Lat / Long and  things will continue to be sweet.

Cheers Zoran

So out of all this is there a time period or year of production or system that this is going to effect?

From the OP it seems like its really old units as in from early 2000's?

And also sounds like if youve had.some updates applied to your device it may not be affected.

13 hours ago, 61 crusher said:

Be curious  to hear how anyone went with there GPS combo units today as I have the HDS 7 unit & if it’s only the time issue or other glitches surfaced. Cheers 

I was out all day today.... using my very old Eagle Seacharter GPS combo (now consumed as a Lowrance or LEI brand) connected to my Standard Horizon VHF radio.

Happy to report that everything worked for me ... I previously mentioned that I was concerned the Standard Horizon VHF may not correctly interpret the Lat/Lon from the Seacharter but it did ... all worked as previously for me. 

BUT .... the Sydney North FAD was physically about 400m SW from where the Navionics app reported it to be on both my iPad and iPhone !!! ... I'm concluding that the FAD had drifted as all other navigation with Navionics was spot on.

Cheers Zoran

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

So out of all this is there a time period or year of production or system that this is going to effect?

From the OP it seems like its really old units as in from early 2000's?

And also sounds like if youve had.some updates applied to your device it may not be affected.

There is no hard and fast rule, as the unit manufacturers use GPS chipsets from several suppliers. So you really have to chase down your units manufacturer to get a definitive answer.   But if you have an older unit be prepared for limited response eg. when I asked Lowrance (LEI) about my Eagle Seacharter -- their answer was - "sorry discontinued model - don't know".

Cheers Zoran