Port Stephens- Toona time!

Scratchie

G’day raiders, 

Well, I was thinking we might make a trip up to Crowdy considering all the good reports from the area but we decided to fish our own backyard as reports of longtail have been coming in. 

Woodsy and I were first at the ramp and first to the bait grounds. Loaded up with slimies amd off we went. Got to our spot and tried drifting for a few snapper first but kept a livie drifting behind us. No luck on the snapper but the livie starts to scream off. Shite, we found one already and we haven’t even set up properly yet. After a good fight on lightish gear up comes a nice 8kg plus longtail. Sweet donut broken and hi5’s all round. 

Next we set up and deploy the balloon floaters and didn’t have to wait long and Woodsy’s rod lights up! This thing is in a hurry, so much that it took nearly 300m, pulled the hook and kept going. I didn’t even get a chance to lift the anchor! Boy these things move fast. Set up again and whilst we were waiting a started casting metals and was hooking up on every cast, bonito, Mac tuna and having a ball. 

Then another livie gets smashed and pulls the hook. By now the wind was getting up and we made the call to move. 

Good decision, we set up the bigger rod this time and lucky we did! It got nailed and Woodsy was in for a fight. After a good 10mins with this rod past sunset a gaff shot was in sight and onboard comes a solid 12kg plus longy! Yewww After that, we lost another and callled it quits as the wind was now gusting and we already had enough to bring home! 

Yet, another beautiful day in Port Stephens! 

Thanks for reading,

Cheers scratchie!!! BBFE6EC8-0E30-4BD3-A84E-E8BE9BF72E2D.thumb.jpeg.f63b2b99f7000f0b8a8e8e01c2bf2d34.jpeg5F13F5D9-4D40-41C1-9783-CA6DFC002338.thumb.jpeg.5f16bde7ae6331dcb47c12c4b8dadabc.jpeg

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Peter Nelson said:

Nice one fellas.

Looks better than Swansea was this morning, fairly wind at the fad.

Are they any good eating?

Thanks Pete! Yes mate, beautiful eating. I even ate some as I was filleting it. 

• Like 2

Great report guys, what no snapper😀, nothing better than hearing your reel screaming, wow 300m run must’ve been a good one, there have been a few caught over the last couple of weeks off the stones down my way & a couple of Cobia, I traced a blokes Cobia on Monday, went 138cm & 18 kg gutted 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Central Coast Fisherman said:

Great job. There have been a few caught down here on the central coast over the last week too. Can you let us know what pound line and leader you were using and what size and type of hook?

Well, a few different setups! First fish was on 30lb braid and 35lb leader. Then Woodsy got smoked on 50/80, so we set up a tyrnos 30w with 100lb and that got hammered too! But we landed it. Using 6 or 7/0 black magic circles! 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, rickmarlin62 said:

Nice work jeff  now im tossin between crowdy n broughton next comp in two weeks   want a cobe or tuna  decisions mmmm

There’s was a heap of them out there today! If we stayed all day the hook ups would have been double digits! 

9 hours ago, 61 crusher said:

Great report guys, what no snapper😀, nothing better than hearing your reel screaming, wow 300m run must’ve been a good one, there have been a few caught over the last couple of weeks off the stones down my way & a couple of Cobia, I traced a blokes Cobia on Monday, went 138cm & 18 kg gutted 

Cheers. No snapper. Only made a short attempt at that. Plenty of tuna species about though! That’s a nice cobia! It’s the one fish that has eluded me! 

10 hours ago, Ryder said:

Great work guys. I'm glad you got them on your home patch and didn't have to travel.

Thanks Andrew! 

Well the marlin scene is quiet, the snapper the same, so lucky the longtail turned up! 

32 minutes ago, Ribs said:

😱😱😱Madness..... 2 good fish there boys, well done. 

What next fellas, beakies inside the bay , u 2 go alright👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼

Haha, thanks Craig. Unfortunately no beaks for us this year! We made 3 attempts but they just weren’t there! We have landed some good fish in the past 12 months! Happy days 👍

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments fellas, it was a great day out again, (Scratchie’s plan) he knows what he is talking about. I learn new things every time we go out. 

I would of liked a video of the first run I got. I got hit,  picked the rod up it was running Scratchie says what do you think is it big should we chase it, I said no it doesn’t feel it and I think the fish must of heard because next thing I know it just headed back to port Stephens at a unbelievable speed with Scratchie starting to get the anchor up while laughing his head off, I was putting my hand on the spool trying to slow it watching the fibre flick off the braid but my fingers were getting hot. It didn’t slow down a bit then bang, it was over I lost it, Scratchie stopped laughing for a minute to say sorry for not getting anchor up quick enough then just kept laughing. In the end I had to laugh about it or I might of cried

Woodsy

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Woodsy1 said:

Thanks for the comments fellas, it was a great day out again, (Scratchie’s plan) he knows what he is talking about. I learn new things every time we go out. 

I would of liked a video of the first run I got. I got hit,  picked the rod up it was running Scratchie says what do you think is it big should we chase it, I said no it doesn’t feel it and I think the fish must of heard because next thing I know it just headed back to port Stephens at a unbelievable speed with Scratchie starting to get the anchor up while laughing his head off, I was putting my hand on the spool trying to slow it watching the fibre flick off the braid but my fingers were getting hot. It didn’t slow down a bit then bang, it was over I lost it, Scratchie stopped laughing for a minute to say sorry for not getting anchor up quick enough then just kept laughing. In the end I had to laugh about it or I might of cried

Woodsy

hahahahahahhahahahahaha, im still laughing! If you fish for long enough, at one point in time you'll come across a fish that want's it's freedom more than you want to boat it. Sorry to say Woodsy but that was one of those occasions. That fish was the Usain Bolt of longtails! lol Your face was priceless!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, quintrex52 said:

My favourite time of the year.. can’t wait.. very solid fish guys always producing the goods

thanks Jeremy. You know we work hard for those fish but it's always nice when a plan comes together!

17 minutes ago, GoingFishing said:

I know the feeling mate it's pretty much the only option in those kind of circumstances isnt it. Well at least you did boat one so that's awesome

haha, well i'd prefer that we hooked and lost one than not hooked up at all. 

• Like 1