Freshwater rods for light saltwater fishing

savit

Just wondering if anyone used freshwater/trout graphite 1-2 kg spin rods for light saltwater lure fishing and what is his experience, or knows if any tackle shops stock them in Sydney area.

I used to have a 1-2kg stick I built on a graphite blank (Shakespeare I think). I used it for trout, bass, bream, flathead and whiting on lures and bait. Also jigging for trevally at Gunsight Reef, Port Stephens back in the day. Had an interesting day years back at the Five Islands, Port Kembla, spinning up rat kings on 1kg. Didn’t boat too many but that was no fault of the rod, just the spiderweb we were using! 😂 I paired it with a 2500 Blue series Shakespeare threadline (about the smallest around at the time) and exclusively used 1 or 2kg Pretest mono. It caught a lot of fish. Lost it over the side in Port Stephens during a Trailerboat Tournament. 😢 I would have used it more in the salt than the fish, I think. I’m sure a quality tackle shop could show you a few options.

I have a Samurai 101, rated 2 - 4lb that I use quite often for throwing small surface lures for bream and whiting on the flats. Great little rod that's soft enough not to pull the micro treble hooks out of a fish's mouth.

I also have a Duff flats rod that's 6 inches longer and just as light in the tip as the 101. Great for casting just that little bit further when wading.

I'm sure most decent tackle stores in Sydney would stock a few brands of 1 - 2kg rods.