Sienna Reel problem

yting

Ok guys I’m seeking your opinions on a problem I have with my reel.

not sure if I’m allowed to mention the company or if it will be edited out but I will anyway.

i bought a Shimano 1000 Sienna combo from a shop about 6 months ago and have found it to be ok up until last Wednesday when I finally discovered the answer to a problem I’ve been having since I bought this reel. Funny enough I’ve just checked the reviews on this reel and I don’t believe anyone else has flagged it.

over the summer a mate has been taking me out in his boat and we have been doing pretty well. Well to be honest he has and I have been what I thought was unlucky with many fish busting me off. I have been finding it strange though that my 6lb braid (that came with the reel) has unusually been breaking at the reel end, not the leader end.

ive finally realised this is because when I flick the bail arm over after casting, instead of the braid slipping down onto the line guide, it is getting jammed at the smallest of gaps where the bail arm finishes, a couple of mm before the line roller/guide.

as soon as you load up with a fish the braid pings. Not always, depending on the length of the fight and how worn the braid gets in this gap.

i took it to Shimano last week thinking they would have an answer but they didn’t want to know me.

said I shouldn’t be using only 6lb pound braid as it is not designed for it which is total rubbish. I thought they might at least take some ownership of the bad design and have an answer or way to fix it. Suggested I use mono instead!

havent bothered taking it to a shop as I don’t believe it is their fault.

anyone had this problem and if so what do you guys think I should do about it?

i now have to manually move the braid over to the roller before retrieving the line. Very frustrating.

Thanks 

nathan

I have heard about this.

I think its caused by the sharp edges in the gap of the rotor and roller and also where the bail wire goes into the roller cover. maybe sand down the edges,

Maybe the reels are designed for braid or just a poor finish that quality control did not catch during design.

i heard about this aswell. Had a mate buy a 1000 sienna combo as well. lucky one of them found the issue quite early as he and returned it to the store shortly after.

While one of my other mates had the same issue with a different reel and tightened the screw on the side of the line roller and upgraded to 10lb fireline. I Don't recall him having an issue since

Disappointing that Shimano wouldn't take your complaint seriously mate. Sienna are in the cheaper end of the market but you should still expect the reel to function better than it is doing. Probably best that you try to accurately assess the problem and try to rectify it. I'd be looking at other reels to overcome your problem. You don't want to keep losing fish because of the tackle you're using. Good luck, bn

12 hours ago, yting said:

Ok guys I’m seeking your opinions on a problem I have with my reel.

i took it to Shimano last week thinking they would have an answer but they didn’t want to know

havent bothered taking it to a shop as I don’t believe it is their fault.

anyone had this problem and if so what do you guys think I should do about it?

i now have to manually move the braid over to the roller before retrieving the line. Very frustrating.

Thanks 

nathan

I do not see the  problem here.

Shimano reels come with 10 year warranty period in Australia - it does not matter whether it is cheap Sienna or expensive Stella.  9.5 years left.

I would just take it to the shop, show them tax invoice, reel and explain the issue with the reel (no need to explain the issue with Shimano ) and let them deal with Shimano to sort it out.  It does not matter whether it is shop's fault at all.

If the shop will tell you to deal with Shimano directly within reel warranty period - tell the shop it is your choice as a customer, and if they refuse - they will deal also with ACCC directly.  

And check your customer rights and protection on ACCC website.

https://www.accc.gov.au/business/treating-customers-fairly/consumers-rights-obligations

• Like 4

Yeah, interesting, is it a reel i would buy to run braid over-no- but i just looked on the Shimano website and it does say "will hold stacks of braid", maybe look at the bail roller and see if you can tighten it a bit- BUT that style of roller is long and narrow - which gives braid less chance to grab it and turn the bail roller- so maybe thats also part of the problem- a few fast moving fish like rat kings, the braid starts to cook off if the roller aint rolling. I hate to say it but for chasing pelagics you really need to get something a bit better, however you do have the right under consumer law to be sold something "fit for purpose", if i was Shimano i would change their advertising of these reels as they really are toys.

Thanks guys,

Xerotao - yes that's 100% the problem, correct 

Restyle - Thanks I'll try that, though I'm worried about spending say $50 on 10lb braid and have it get worn down by this rubbing on the bail arm end as well.

Big Neil - Yes agree with that too. I think that seems like the long term answer.

Savit - Thanks mate. To be honest as Neil said, this reel is the lower end of the market so I don't want to be making a massive fuss over this. I am disappointed though as you would think Shimano would only sell good quality reels at all ends of the market.

10 minutes ago, PaddyT said:

Yeah, interesting, is it a reel i would buy to run braid over-no- but i just looked on the Shimano website and it does say "will hold stacks of braid", maybe look at the bail roller and see if you can tighten it a bit- BUT that style of roller is long and narrow - which gives braid less chance to grab it and turn the bail roller- so maybe thats also part of the problem- a few fast moving fish like rat kings, the braid starts to cook off if the roller aint rolling. I hate to say it but for chasing pelagics you really need to get something a bit better, however you do have the right under consumer law to be sold something "fit for purpose", if i was Shimano i would change their advertising of these reels as they really are toys.

Thanks mate, lesson learnt I suppose. Think you're right.

I think I know what you are talking about. It’s where the bail wire meets the roller. Shimano reels have had this problem for years and you probably got one of the worse ones.

Newer and the higher priced reels have a one piece design, eliminating the join. 

I would take it back for sure and explain the problem and demand a refund or fix. If it’s sharp and cutting the line then it should be clear to see the fault and there is nothing for them to argue about.

I have an old Stella with a similar 2 piece design. I never had the line get caught there but just to be sure I mixed up some 2 part epoxy type metal and stuck a small amount around the join. Its been good for years of use. I can get a picture if your interested.

Hi mate,

Funny I was thinking of using superglue in this little gap with the same principal as the epoxy.

I did take it to Shimano and they did understand the problem but didn't want to take the responsibility. Basically fobbed me off with a go away and buy a more expensive reel or use mono or thicker braid.

There may be some truth in what Shimano says about the reel not designed for 6lb.

The specs their website for the Sienna FE 1000 show that it can fit 140m of 0.20mm line, which generally I would take it as what they would recommend to put on the spool.

0.20mm is roughly around the 15lb mark for their PowerPro line. 6lb is around 0.08mm which can make a significant difference. Ideally you should be able to use whatever line lighter than recommended but in this case, it may be that you cannot without issues.

That's very strange. I run four siennas from 1000 to 4000 and have had siennas before and never experienced that problem. Like someone said before maybe just a manufacturing fault that qc missed. Definitely take it back to the shop and let them talk to Shimano.  Good luck. 

For the record guys here are some pics of the reel.

If you haven't noticed the problem before please check closely on retrieve to ensure the line is running on the roller. It took me 6 months to figure out what was right in front of me the whole time.

Does anyone understand on the side of the reel where it says Nylon (No.-m) 2-100

What is the 2? I take it the 100 is 100 metres of Nylon

It can't be 2mm thick?

IMG_7763.jpg

IMG_7781.jpg

IMG_7782.jpg

IMG_7783.jpg

Hmm... strange. The photo clearly indicates why the line is breaking - it’s not falling into the roller at all. Whenever I buy a reel that’s the first thing I check... does the line sit nicely in the roller? And how well does it roll? I have a Sienna 2500FD and fish 2kg Pretest mono on it. Never had that problem. Does it happen when you manually close the bail arm or only when closing it by cranking the handle? I suspect the bail arm has been bent or it’s not sitting at the right angle somehow. Get your tackle shop to have a look at it.

”Nylon 2-100” means it will fit 100m of 2kg mono. “Nylon 4-140” means it will fit 140yds of 4lb mono.

Here’s a photo of my 2500 and how the bail arm should be sitting. Check that yours is on the same angle. If the arm’s not bent, maybe the black bit that holds the roller is not flipping over properly. Has it been doing it from the day you bought it or only after a session or two?

8AADEFBC-89B2-4DC1-9316-5C78204F3ACE.jpeg

PS. You need more line on your spool. 😉

Edited by Berleyguts

Hehehe, your right. That’s because I’ve been loosing so much line over the last couple of months.

im surprised yours isn’t having the same problem looking at the photo.

ill check the angle of my bail arm tonight.

When the spool is closest to the body of the reel, the bail arm should sit like this:

A18E0277-8609-430A-A581-38C942BEBE8A.jpeg

When the spool is at its furthest extent, the bail arm should sit like this:

6D815007-6AA9-4AEA-84D0-9D275AEBCFA9.jpeg

See how the centre of the roller spindle sits more or less parallel with the top of the spool?

Edited by Berleyguts

I'm sorry to hear about your experience with shimano, I have had nothing but outstanding after sales service from shimano the entire time i have fished and will not buy any other brand reel (except my handful of Alveys for their specific purposes). 

With regards to your reel, I would suggest trying to undo the screw that holds the line roller in and try to re-seat the bail arm in that collar to get it as flush as possible and see if you can close the gap as you re-tighten the screw. You could also look at adding the epoxy as described.

As I said earlier yting, Shimano reels have had this issue for a very long time. Even old model  Stella’s like mine.

The problem is because they use 2 pieces for the bail arm which then have to have a join. Because the metal is so thin, this join is prone to having exposed sharp edges. Some come from the factory with a some what ok join and some not so good. Better reels have a full one piece bail arm and no join. 

These parts are pressed together and the only fix I know of is putting something over the top. Super glue won’t do much good. Epoxy or what I used stuff called JB Weld. 

Yeah guys adding to that. The only way to truly test to see if the line bypasses the gap or gets caught in it is to run the line through atleast the first guide on the rod and then pull it taught from there as if you were a fish taking the bait. You might be surprised to find that it may stick in the join, in my case pretty well every time.

4 hours ago, yting said:

Does anyone understand on the side of the reel where it says Nylon (No.-m) 2-100

It can't be 2mm thick?

That's the Japanese line standard. It relates to the lines diameter rather than breaking strain. Different brands can have the same diameter but different breaking stains.

Braided lines are given a PE ( polyethylene) number. Nylon/ mono are classed separately,  yet the number still refers to line diameter.  # 2 line, whether braid or mono has a diameter has a diameter of .235mm.

Your Sienna holds 90m at .25mm and a bit more, 100m, with the slightly thinner .235mm.

https://fishingtrends.net/pages/line-size-chart

• Confused 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Just an update with this one. I've tried tightening the bail arm screw, checked the bend on the bail arm against a new reel, added more braid to the reel.

took it out yesterday for a spin, first cast noticed line straight into the gap not, the roller. 4th or 5th cast hooked a small tailor. Bang line pinged at the reel and that was decision made. Reel gone to landfill. My 7 year old asked me if he could have it but I said sorry mate I'm going to save you the grief.

Funny thing I've just noticed this reel is now on sale at a shop for $40 down from $70. I wonder if the word has got out after Shimano turned me away.

interesting.

I have a 4000 that i let my little bro use. The gap is no where as big as the one you pictured. Never had an issue. even if i put line in there myself and give it tension while moving the line left to right. still wouldnt cut. maybe it is your line? and also try a dab of silicone in there.

Also if anyone buys a sienna for $70 they are shopping at the wrong place 😂

On ‎4‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 9:17 AM, yting said:

For the record guys here are some pics of the reel.

If you haven't noticed the problem before please check closely on retrieve to ensure the line is running on the roller. It took me 6 months to figure out what was right in front of me the whole time.

It can't be 2mm thick?

IMG_7763.jpg

IMG_7781.jpg

IMG_7782.jpg

IMG_7783.jpg

As the piece of paper says its still under warranty so just send it back to them.

Don't muck around trying to fix it then you will void the warranty!

Looks like a manufacturing fault s o should be replaced straight away without question!!!

Heres a picture of mine(I have 3 sizes) my bail arm comes back even further than Baz's I recon.

senna.thumb.jpg.7f69ab06e7afb06a0e76c3c226f99d92.jpg

Edited by kingie chaser