Quintrex 420 renegade SC

JA1990

Ladies and Gents, 

I am one of the lucky owners of a 420 Renegade and I get a lot of questions about it by people, i have created a short video you may be interested in but basically I want to give my opinion on it. In case you are looking to buy one feel free to use this as a guide to give you an idea what you are in for.

I have owned my unpainted renegade for nearly 3 years and it certainly has looked after me, great size with many great features it comes stock with. A lot of people do own this model and I only have great to say about it. It is powered by a 40hp merc which gets up to about 22 knots. Very very fuel efficient and quiet. 

The boat is set up for novice and advanced anglers there is no doubt about that. If you are a true flathead or bass angler you will not go wrong with one.

I do not work for Quintrex nor endorse them, again I am simply giving my honest view about the boat.

Please feel free to watch the video and if you have any other questions, just PM me,

JA.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Guest Guest123456789

Good video Josh.

had the same issue with my telwater trailer lights - it’s the same model as yours. They went in 2 weeks, then in 6 months then in 13 months. Dealer replaced then free of charge first two times, the third time I went to supercreep and replaced with a properly waterproof pair of lights (not faux waterproof).

that is BS about lights having a 6 month warranty, EVERY electrical product sold in Australia has a 12 month warranty. The dealer ripped you off as he couldn’t be bothered to fill in the paperwork required by telwater.

Great video and review Josh! Thanks for sharing.

I love my Renegade 420 SC, its perfect for the type of fishing I do .... lure fishing 1 and 2 up mainly in estuaries and impoundments. I'd be happy to lose the anchor well and increase the front casting deck space but overall, it works for me.

After a recent too close an encounter with a rock wall up the Maria River, I replaced the prop on my 50hp Merc with a four blade and it has improved the out of the hole performance especially 2 up with 35 litres of fuel in the stern.

22 hours ago, flatheadluke said:

Good video Josh.

had the same issue with my telwater trailer lights - it’s the same model as yours. They went in 2 weeks, then in 6 months then in 13 months. Dealer replaced then free of charge first two times, the third time I went to supercreep and replaced with a properly waterproof pair of lights (not faux waterproof).

that is BS about lights having a 6 month warranty, EVERY electrical product sold in Australia has a 12 month warranty. The dealer ripped you off as he couldn’t be bothered to fill in the paperwork required by telwater.

Long story mate, but put it this way I was not impressed how they handled it and I faced about $80 extra on the service and to tell you the truth the side lighting has failed has well. Telwater needs to understand that if they are selling a boat trailer in which people are most likely going to inundate it then they should find lights that are fit for purpose or sell them with a detachable ligh board.

Another this is the number plate. Imagine if boat trailer compamnys would put a stainless stell hinge as a number plate. Think of how many number plates would be saved lol

Mine was stock with 4 blade, i have unfortunately hit a rock on the skeg when i first bought it and a nice chunk of it was crumbled off, havnt had any issues with performance though. Last service they found a heap of send in the imppellor intake but unless prepared to take lower leg off to clean it theres not much that can be done.

Guest Guest123456789
6 hours ago, JA1990 said:

Long story mate, but put it this way I was not impressed how they handled it and I faced about $80 extra on the service and to tell you the truth the side lighting has failed has well. Telwater needs to understand that if they are selling a boat trailer in which people are most likely going to inundate it then they should find lights that are fit for purpose or sell them with a detachable ligh board.

Another this is the number plate. Imagine if boat trailer compamnys would put a stainless stell hinge as a number plate. Think of how many number plates would be saved lol

It’s a bit conspiracy theory but I think they’re built to have some faults. Keeps you going back to the dealer emptying your wallet. Case in point: galvanised steel bolts. Why the heck wouldn’t you use 316 stainless it’s not like we pay peanuts for a trailer

11 hours ago, flatheadluke said:

It’s a bit conspiracy theory but I think they’re built to have some faults. Keeps you going back to the dealer emptying your wallet. Case in point: galvanised steel bolts. Why the heck wouldn’t you use 316 stainless it’s not like we pay peanuts for a trailer

Mate they claim they are Australian built, maybe designed but I reckon they come to Australia by the container and bolted together here, straight from china. 

On 4/3/2019 at 7:35 PM, flatheadluke said:

I agree some of the fittings used by telwater could be better quality. At least marine grade and fit for purpose. Overall a great build IMHO

My Telwater lights failed at 13mths, it ended up a wiring connection fault, so I just deleted the 3 way plug on the side lights and it’s fixed it for a while.

My winch broke about 4mths ago, the part (Pawl) that runs on the gear somehow ended up bent under the gear (I think brother in law was to strong) and I could not winch my boat on, so I had to dunk the trailer more and drive it on.

Got home knocked out the pin and bent it into shape and it’s back to working, but I don’t trust it anymore and have a ratchet strap as a back up to hold the boat to the winch post.

Edited by jeffb5.8

I have kind of the same boat (Stacer Outlaw) with a tiller steer 50HP Yamaha 4 stroke,  and my trailer lights are still OK after nearly 3 years, must have got lucky? There is a few "cheap" bits and pieces on the boat, but for the money, I think they represent good value, had mine out in the ocean lots of times, and like you, never had an issue with water coming over the transom, after owning it for a while, I kind of wish I got the 449 instead of the 429, but I guess that's pretty normal.

Just to add, where they put the switch for the bait tank is silly, on mine, it's on the front of the seat, and nearly every time I pull the boat out of the water, the pump is running, because I have knocked it with my foot, or a crab trap or something, I am going to move it this week to get it out of the way.

14 minutes ago, noelm said:

I have kind of the same boat (Stacer Outlaw) with a tiller steer 50HP Yamaha 4 stroke,  and my trailer lights are still OK after nearly 3 years, must have got lucky? There is a few "cheap" bits and pieces on the boat, but for the money, I think they represent good value, had mine out in the ocean lots of times, and like you, never had an issue with water coming over the transom, after owning it for a while, I kind of wish I got the 449 instead of the 429, but I guess that's pretty normal.

I know what you mean. I’ve got the 449. Kinda wish I had a 469 or 489!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ddaniel said:

Would you take it outside? I own one but am reluctant to venture offshore from Home town of Forster.

I take my 449 Stacer Outlaw (side console) outside regularly... well, when the wife lets me! My last trip was to the Port Stephens FAD, which is 12nm out (about 22km). I pick my days but I think I’ll find it uncomfortable before the boat does! My old boat was a 4.0m Stacer runabout and I used to fish out of Broken Bay, Sydney Harbour and Botany Bay but I usually stayed within the 2nm zone. It will also depend on what the entrance is like. I’m not familiar with Forster offshore... is it a bar crossing?

Thanks Noelm and burleyguts for your input. I wouldn't really call Forster much of a bar crossing it has a bit of depth and break walls, well not like  the northern rivers( Macleay,Richmond,tweed) knowing your swell and tides  help.  It'll take a couple of trips in the boat to get confident with its capabilities.

On 4/6/2019 at 5:06 PM, ddaniel said:

Would you take it outside? I own one but am reluctant to venture offshore from Home town of Forster.

Hey mate, Absolutely. In my video I have stated I take it to Broughton island. I also go a few miles off shore broken bay as well. 

I guess it comes down to personal risk assessment but I have seen plenty of 420 renes out side. 

Yeah love my 420sc in hindsight I would have got it rerated and put a 60 4st on it instead of the 50 I got it in sept 2013 and have not had any trailer light problems but the setup of the boat on the trailer was crap I had to move the axle 75mm forward as there was way to much weight on the tow ball also the skids were out of position so I moved them and now I can easily drive on and off the trailer Mines optioned up a bit with under floor fuel plumbed front well rod locker and swing away drawbar so it fits into my garage I have added a tackle box in the front port side hatch and a stereo

DSC00092.JPG

Stereo.jpg

1 hour ago, deek said:

Nice Job Josh, But you could've used a better beer mate:banana:

Thanks bud, Opinions are like adventure kings car awnings, everyones got one.....lol

Best thing about xxxx its simple, 1 per hour on the hour and set and forget ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey crew, new forum member here (joined today) and also a happy owner of a Quintrex 420 Renegade - tiller steer with 50hp Tohatsu 2 stroke. I bought it as a 'base' boat and did the electrics and set-up myself. Even sourced the motor separate from the Quintrex dealer as it was a deal they couldn't match.

Dealers order direct from the factory with whatever options a customer requires. Some dealers are putting base hulls (with some options) into stock. The 'option' prices for items like nav lights, bilge pump, sounder/ gps, deck lights, etc were rather laughable. Easy to do it all for MUCH cheaper, and better quality.

Few things to note (in particular order):

- the hull was full of swarf and timber shavings. Factory production process is to drill the floor through and into the aluminum bracing and then the screws are put in ... this leaves the timber shavings and the aluminum swarf to fall into the hull, get caught up in the flotation etc.

- the 'standard' wiring of the live bait tank pump was completed in auto electric cable (i.e. not marine tinned). I just replaced it all as I was doing the electrics.

- the 'plumbing' for the live bait tank was ordinary with water leaking from all fittings etc. I re-plumbed it as I had the floor etc. out to clean (see fist item above) and run electrical cables.

Having now run the motor through it's 'break in' period I'm now starting to use it for fishing and with that, am learning what set-up is needed for the fishing use. We use it for family days out, swimming / snorkelling etc and also tubing. I'll be using it offshore, out from Tweed and also a few of the Tweed Coast spots like Kingscliff and Pottsville.

I just spent the day today tweaking the trailer set up so it loads and unloads better and redoing the wheel bearings. Keen to give it a test tomorrow if work doesn't get it the way!

PS: I've had a few different people join me while 'breaking in' the motor. General consensus is for it's size there is a LOT of room inside, and it handles the chop and waves well. It's really stable with the family on board.

Cheers for the input, It really does not surprise me quintrex cut corners with some of the factory adds. Fortunately I have not had any issues with those components...touch wood.

I opted for the 'sealed floor' during build how ever I am not sure if that will make a difference. 

I guess the best thing to do to get the most out of any marine use is FRESHWATER WASHDOWNS!!!!! LOL

I wash and flush all the time even if I am using the next day, the thought of salt eating away my pride and joy is just apart of my mitigation plan for care.