Silver Trevally

wazatherfisherman

1 hour ago, wazatherfisherman said:

Hi Pete thanks! We used to call them "next door neighbour fish" and outside of comps just mucked around with them with light line- better stuff to eat, but they turn out real well if you smoke them. Rather eat the bycatch!

We'd get them in about 20m of water and they were great fun trying to stop on 3kg before bricking you.

Agreed, pretty ordinary on the plate.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

That was a good read. Enjoyed it. I often think  I was born 30years too late, though I do like technology.  

Caught my first silver trevally last weekend as a by-catch fishing for bream, maybe I like to eat fish too much, I actually enjoyed eating it, perhaps not as much a bream or blackfish though.

Edited by craka
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, craka said:

That was a good read. Enjoyed it. I often think  I was born 30years too late, though I do like technology.  

Caught my first silver trevally last weekend as a by-catch fishing for bream, maybe I like to eat fish too much, I actually enjoyed eating it, perhaps not as much a bream or blackfish though.

Hi Craka they aren't too bad when bled, skinned and cooked with spices, otherwise they are good if you smoke them.

While the murks were operating the Trevally were in plague proportions year round, day and night. They go hard and are as dirty a fighter as Kingfish. Have seen some genuinely big ones caught from harbour wharves over the years.