Fishing Clifton Gardens wharf Sydney.

James  Clain

1 week back a few mates and I went over to Clifton Gardens for a fish. The wharf was totally packed and there was not much space but the productivity was amazing. My mates were targeting yellowtail for the kingfish livebait. They onto a few small squire and a very odd looking fish called an African Pompano (Are they rare in Sydney?).

Only 1 kingfish was caught that day by a man who arrived very early. I Had a few small takes on my live bait (small yellowtail) but no kingfish. A little later I got onto a nice 34 cm Silver Trevally and later my mate got onto a small one that he lost wile lifting it up without a net. these were caught using half a prawn on a running sinker rig using 8lb Fluro. Later on I lost a good sized leatherjacket.

Few other people at the wharf caught some flathead, Bream, Octopus, Trevally, Leatherjacket, Snapper, Flounder, yellowtail. 

All in all it was a great day fishing - for all those reading If you are planning on fishing at Chowder Bay you must get in as early as possible for the sake of getting a spot and catching Kingfish. All fish on the day were caught on the rising tide and high tide after that the fishing went very quiet. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, masterfisho7 said:

Sounds like your day was not to bad after all 

Yes! I will be trying out that Cremorne Point spot very soon too. Do you reckon there are any lures that work well for kingfish during daylight? I heard they were hard to get on lures throughout the day.