Giant Trevally Habitat range?

James  Clain

Hello, Im looking to target some Giant Trevally.  I"m wondering if anyone knows how far south down NSW they have actually been caught. For obvious reasons currents will play a part but does anyone know how far south they have been reported?

Any ideas or information would be greatly appreciated!

There's a big difference in how far south they are reliably caught, and how far they have been caught as a one off, I know of one caught off a FAD off Port Kembla a few years ago, but never heard of one before or since, Spottie Mackeral made an appearance a few years ago too, but never seen since, I personally haven't heard of any reliably caught past the QLD border.

• Like 1

Targetting them in NSW would be hit and miss at best, ive caught them at Coffs (small ones) , and the odd really good one turns up at the 9 mile off the Tweed River every couple of years- but "targetting" them would be a bit like chasing unicorns- evn the Sunshine Coast is smaller fish- target kings instead

Catch them on the mid north coast reliably enough to target them in winter/spring with some very specific local knowledge and technique combined with big-eye trevally and sometimes blue fin trevs  the size is up to low 40cm range only juvenile fish and always in the estuary, bigger models are an incidental catch during summer but not a reliable target

If you're serious about ticking GTs of the list head north the estuaries in SEQ are supposed to be full of them up to about 60cm during the winter, otherwise you can always go after the brutes out on the reef

• Like 1

On 4/6/2019 at 7:47 AM, rickmarlin62 said:

Bit hard to target a species that doesnt frequent our area  look north of noosa to try specifically for them  ive caught two at north solitary island   but if you dont head head north they are just not viable as a target

I"m going to Noosa soon, should I fish rising tide at the river mouth?

On 4/8/2019 at 9:34 PM, dirvin21 said:

Catch them on the mid north coast reliably enough to target them in winter/spring with some very specific local knowledge and technique combined with big-eye trevally and sometimes blue fin trevs  the size is up to low 40cm range only juvenile fish and always in the estuary, bigger models are an incidental catch during summer but not a reliable target

If you're serious about ticking GTs of the list head north the estuaries in SEQ are supposed to be full of them up to about 60cm during the winter, otherwise you can always go after the brutes out on the reef

Noosa? can you get big ones there?

Good reference for this sort of question is Redmap (Range Extension Database & Mapping project). Pretty sure it was started by University of Tasmania but now covers all OZ. Logs reported sightings of fish outside their normal habitat ranges. In NSW they ask for GT's to be logged if spotted anywhere south of Solitary Island marine park (no sightings currently noted).

Link to the site: http://www.redmap.org.au/

Cheers

Rich

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mr Squidy said:

Good reference for this sort of question is Redmap (Range Extension Database & Mapping project). Pretty sure it was started by University of Tasmania but now covers all OZ. Logs reported sightings of fish outside their normal habitat ranges. In NSW they ask for GT's to be logged if spotted anywhere south of Solitary Island marine park (no sightings currently noted).

Cheers

Rich

Thats really interesting, thanks for this site!

7 hours ago, Mr Squidy said:

Cheers

Rich

I've tried and given up to log sightings on the mentioned site

• 1 year later...