I've discovered a fantastic way to launch reef anchor with winch

vcreation

Hey raiders. For the fellows out there with anchor winches and using reef anchors I got a good news.

Now some of u maybe using SARCA anchor but they are not 100% snare free on reef/rocks. And when u stuck one that's a $200 anchor plus 8m of chain plus some of ur rope gone. That hurts! There are manufacturers that makes a SS spring that slots over ur reef pick with a disc that keep ur reef anchor out for self launching... that just make ur reef pick stick out too much on ur bow spit and its extra $60-80 bulks and extra thing to go wrong.

So I use 'Delta' style anchor when I'm 100% sure its sand/mud/weed bottom and install reef pick for any offshore reef fishing or any uncertain bottoms. To change anchor offshore is hard work as it's so far forward from the hatch and dangerous in rocking sea. I use reef pick on sand too as the 8m of chain is more than enough to hold the boat. Problem is the reef pick doesnt self launch it just lay down flat on the bow. Filling it up with lead doesnt help as the weight is on the bow not over the bow spit.

Last 2 times out I found this mad method. While having ur reef pick tug inside ur bow roller. Drive at speed and do a sudden stop (warn your passengers before attempt) when doing sudden stop press down on ur winch that will eject the reef pick out of ur bow roller and be hanging down. Done that few times it has very high success rate 3/4 attempts it shoots out of the bow roller. Very easy way to self-launch your reef pick. I havnt tried on others boats but winch roller system is pretty standard. I even tried to have the winch release a little so the chain is loose and do a sudden stop and it worked. Just be sure ur passenger is ready 😉

Try it next time ur out and thank me for the result 😉

Edited by vcreation

Hi @vcreation I agree 100% with your description of the problems with anchor choice and drum winch use. 

But like @shakey55 I am concerned about the safety aspect of your solution. Also, it could be quite disruptive to other anglers or boaters anchored in the area if someone comes charging at speed and hits reverse. 

I too have a drum winch and have tackled the problem(s) in the following ways :

1) Like you, I could not see the value in paying $200+ for an anchor that could be lost. So I had to fall back to using a reef pick and a sand/mud anchor (danforth in my case). But to do this I had to solve how to change anchors easily, without tools, with cold wet fingers etc. I came up with the approach as shown in the pictures, basically two back to back snap shackles - 

image.png.9a8d67aee33e9163a545dce9ebff4906.png

image.png.76d3508bc125f09f0e5afec2423f3b2a.png

image.png.cd1bd5a394c0b141c49c6b9845fa2a61.png

It's now literally a snap to change to use the best suited anchor.

2) Regarding release of anchor. 

The danforth has no issue with my bowsprit design and has enough weight forward to pull the chain out - just like a SARKA. Because of that ease of use this is the anchor that is fitted most of the time for me. You will notice on that anchor I have swaged a 5mm s/s cable that connects to the front of the anchor and at the back I use electrical wire to secure the cable and anchor. If the anchor snags - driving over the anchor will change the direction of pull and will break the electrical cable connection and pull the anchor up by the front. So this has worked for me even on snaggy ground like Sydney heads. I have 4 spare electrical cable lengths cut and ready near the bow to retie the s/s cable to the anchor if I need to. 

I only use the reef pick if I know I am going to anchor over a reef !!! Like you, I did find the reef pick to light at the front to draw the chain out. So since the above photos were taken, I have fitted a large cast iron weight to the front (where the prongs are bent) and that has solved the problem. It does stick out a bit more and its really necessary as actually that's what creates the leverage to draw the chain out. Not sure why you have an issue with that?? (BTW the sarka or danforth stick out as well).

Anyway, hope this helps with some of your thinking on this topic.

Cheers Zoran

• Like 2

just run a painter rope from your bow with a clip (caribeener) , drop the reef pick over the side of the boat and get it hooked up, then put an overhand loop in the anchor line and clip the loop to the caribeener, it will swing to the front of the boat, when pulling up just drive off to one side , it will straighten the prongs and you can pull in from the side- much safer- or even better use a float to lift your anchor.

Good advice for manual anchoring @PaddyT .. 

With an anchor winch, we run with anchors fitted and pulled up into the bow rollers ready to release/drop. However, if the anchor is not heavy enough, when you  press down (or release in free fall setup), then as the drum unwinds the anchor does not have enough weight to pull the chain and rode out and you get an over run tangle (just like with an overhead reel).   

@vcreation was recommending an approach with his drum winch reef pick set up  where he uses speed and momentum to help launch his light reef pick.  I've suggested some alternatives without reverting back to manual anchoring.

Cheers Zoran

Edited by zmk1962

• 2 weeks later...

For a safe, and much easier suggestion, you could use the setup in the below pic.

eyelet on the bottom of the anchor, chain cable tied to the top. Added weight of the chain would help?

Also get the added benefit, when stuck, cable ties will break with a bit of force,  anchor comes free as force is now all coming from behind the snagged anchor.

Could also be use on other types of anchors as well I guess 🤷🏼‍♂️

I’m no expert when it comes to these things, but have seen a charter guy use this method, which worked multiple times whilst out on one trip, all he had to do was replace the cable tie on the odd occasion the anchor got snagged, and the cable ties broke.

5DDC296F-F477-4ED5-BA10-8A2FF9FC4C4E.jpeg

Edited by J0nn0

I use to secure the anchor at the head run it down the shaft of anchor to a single cable tie and only had a sand anchor it worked 100% of the time by the breaking and pulling the anchor out buy the head that was on smaller boats I had without a winch.

Now I have 6 my Sailfish with a drum winch I like the idea of the rock pick with the same set up and the SS cable to the head of the pick but I will just use bigger cable ties which will still snap.I have  8 mts of chain and good access to the anchor when it comes up so I might not have to add the extra weight to the pick but a good idea just the same.

cheers

the skipper

• 7 months later...