Murray Cod /Trout Cod hybrid...

big Neil

So I went out fishing in the Murrumbidgee for the first time in ages. Mate and I were on the water just after sun up and started off with surface lures, before the sun got too high. I was using a surface lure which Rickmarlin gave me to try out, mate was using a jointed surface lure which his mate had given him. I cast into some half sunken timber and started a slow retrieve. A fish broke the surface to my left and I glanced in that direction right at the wrong moment, as a fish boofed at my lure twice. I twitched the lure to try to get a response but NOTHING. I reeled in and my mate lobbed his jointed surface lure into the area and we both watched the Cod come up and smash his lure. The water was very clear so the view was spectacular. A nice Murray Cod of about 56 cms came aboard. 

When the sun got a bit higher I changed over to a purple spinnerbait and caught a Yellowbelly of about 40cms (which was not in very good condition) and a hybrid Cod of about35 cms. Many people deny the existence of these fish but I can definitely state that they are alive and well in the Murrumbidgee River.

The distinguishing features, for those who are interested, are as follows. A body pattern that consists of individual design. (A Murray Cod has a joined pattern on its body and a Trout Cod has individual spots and a more grey body). An overhanging top jaw and a black line through each eye (Trout Cod characteristics).

Here are a few photos which I hope show the difference between this fish and its' parents. 

The Hybrid fish

IMG_1576rs.thumb.jpg.eed07ca5aa02606451beeab2c3d9438d.jpg

The Yellowbelly

IMG_1572rs.thumb.jpg.f8dfa8ab0c06ee734c466bc215d4dc84.jpg

The location

IMG_1574rs.thumb.jpg.903c728f038dacbb151912dde966b3c0.jpg

A Murray Cod

IMG_0319rs.thumb.jpg.848322360963aa8e98c431f34f6de5e9.jpg

Cheers, bn

• Like 2

Neil. Good to see you getting back on the water and catching fish. If you didn't mention the differences I would not have noticed, your eye for detail is much better than mine, I would have just called it as another Cod and put it back. Thanks for sharing your adventure with us with some great photos.

BTW I am going to try and get out to the bay tomorrow.

Frank

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Berleyguts said:

Great report, Neil! Cod are a beautiful fish. I see what you mean about the condition of the golden... were the cod a bit lean, too? Due to the drought, I guess.

The Cod / hybrid were in much better condition than that Yellowbelly Baz. You would think that if the fish in the river were not getting sufficient food, they would be aggressively taking the lures. Defo not the case. You know there's a Cod there but they won't bite, no matter what you try. Still plenty of shrimp and yabbies in the river and of course these fish eat their own and other species. Cheers, bn

1 hour ago, frankS said:

Neil. Good to see you getting back on the water and catching fish. If you didn't mention the differences I would not have noticed, your eye for detail is much better than mine, I would have just called it as another Cod and put it back. Thanks for sharing your adventure with us with some great photos.

BTW I am going to try and get out to the bay tomorrow.

Frank

Hope you do manage to get on the water Frank. Let us know how you go mate. bn

Edited by big Neil
more information supplied
  • Like 1