Something different Snapper!!!

tyrone07

I have just returned from Vanuatu and had a few extra days of annual leave up my sleeve before I had to go back to work. Checked the forecast for Monday and Msged Scratchie who was instantly keen for a fish. After a few discussions the plan was to get liveys early, have a quick flick for snapper before chasing the Longtail tht have been showing up. First drift and scratchie was on to a pannie. I think he pulled a rock cod as well. Quick little move to north rock and first drift I had a 55cm red in the boat taken on a 7inch zman. Whilst this was happening there was tonnes of bait everywhere with the distinct barrels of Longtail smashing gar everywhere. Jeff’s livey got whacked, with a short run before he pulled up loose. My livey goes off shortly after and after a spirited fight a bronzie was boat side. We moved down to the Gibber and live baited for a couple of hours for zip. Quick little move and a Jeff saying “I never get reds this side of the reef” and first cast I “whack” another spirited fight I hadmy PB red on plastics of 65cm in the boat. Plenty of missed opportunities but a cracker day, if you ever get the opportunity to fish with Jeff his knowledge is invaluable. Only an hour and a half drive from the coast, it’s a cracking fishery.  I would have to say targeting snapper on plastics would now have to be one of my favourite methods of fishing. Woodsy also managed a fed of reds which he handed onto me.  Another cracking day up at Port Stephens.

20F8C554-136E-4FBA-BB1E-53C4F13ACE32.jpeg

4B6BBB00-22BD-421D-A27E-C5AFFD02B301.jpeg

• Like 11

Yewwww! Congrats on the pb champ! It was a cracking day on the water! 

You also forgot the Sampson fish I got, turtles, pods of dolphins smashing the surface, fly bys from the jets and then a yatch race on our return trip! 

Just a typical day in Port Stephens! 

Catch ya soon mate! 

Cheers scratchie!!! 

• Like 4

Sounds like you guys had cracker of a day up in paradise, great photos especially the one of your PB on the quiet side of the reef, I’ve yet to snare a red on a plastics, I’d be there with bells on if the opportunity ever arose, that was pretty decent of Woodsy to hand his fish on to you, great report 

• Like 2

What a fantastic report Tyrone and some fabulous pics too. Scratchie certainly has it down pat when it comes to fishing Port Stephens area and if I ever get the chance to get up there I'll be giving him a shout too. In the meantime, I'm quite happy reading of the continuous successes had by other guest anglers. Job well done, bn

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Scratchie said:

Why not Gordo??? I always need an excuse to go fishing! 😝

@gordo Sounds like an offer from Scratchie, there! I can recommend taking him out. 😉 I’d have Jeff as crew any day of the week, if I could!  The only reason I don’t fish with him more often (or anyone else) is because I can plan a trip but then have to cancel the night before or the morning of. 😡 That’s just my situation at the moment unfortunately. 😢

• Like 1