Goodradigbee River

Kaneo

Hey Raiders!

I’ll be heading off on a camping trip this weekend to swinging bridge reserve & I’ll be trying my luck in the Goodradigbee river. I’ve never targeted fresh water species beside bass which I’ve only got the crankbait deep diver lures. Could I get some tips on catching the trout and cod & some pictures of lures please

cheers kaneo

Hi @Kaneo,

I have never fished the river so can't help too much. All I can say is move slowly and quietly upstream casting as you go keeping an eye out for fish.

A  few of the lures I have had success with fishing for trout are,

Shallow diving Jackall Chubby and pro lure crank both are 38mm .

Shallow minnow style hard bodies in the 4-8cm range such as rapala x-rap or atomic hards suspending minnow.

Any paddle tail soft plastics are another good option in the 2-3inch sizes. I use Kietech easy shiner or swing impacts and fish arrow j-shad. I fish plastics on as light a jig head the flow in the river allows even using resin jig heads in very slow moving water to really slow down a retrieve. 

Small spinners such as a rooster tails also work well.

I mainly stick with natural colours and lures with no to little rattle especially in clear water but will go bolder colours and rattles in dirtier water. 

Cheers and good luck, Trav.

Edited by T_Bert83
  • Thanks 1

Kaneo, I used to fish the Goodradigbee many years ago. It was a superb trout water (you wont find any Bass there though), but I understand, even though there may be the odd trout still lurking, Carp have overrun the place. It certainly is a beautiful spot to camp though, plenty of walks and some nice waterfalls. I'd suggest you contact one of the tackle Shops in either Yass or Canberra to check what type of fishing you may encounter mate.

Enjoy your weekend.

• 1 month later...

Also curious to hear how you went? Definitely Yellas and Cod in the lower reaches around Wee Jasper as well as Redfin and Carp. There are a few trout around Micalong Ck stretch but pack the walking shoes, many miles to cover but reasonably easy going.  There are plenty of rainbows and the odd brown upstream of Brindabella Station and the river is beautiful and carp free up that high. Plenty of snakes in the months with an R in them. Reliable report of a 2.8kg brown 5 years ago from this stretch. 

• Like 1

On 5/31/2019 at 2:07 PM, Toilor3000 said:

Also curious to hear how you went? Definitely Yellas and Cod in the lower reaches around Wee Jasper as well as Redfin and Carp. There are a few trout around Micalong Ck stretch but pack the walking shoes, many miles to cover but reasonably easy going.  There are plenty of rainbows and the odd brown upstream of Brindabella Station and the river is beautiful and carp free up that high. Plenty of snakes in the months with an R in them. Reliable report of a 2.8kg brown 5 years ago from this stretch. 

Hey mate, I only flicked lures for a little bit I was drinking my beers trying to keep warm more then fishing, it was a good weekend! I send plenty of Redfin trout I believe I’m not to sure about fresh water species. The fish that were in the school weren’t very active or we were throwing the wrong lures 🥴