Tuesday Dollie trip

hookerbruce

The weather and family commitments aligned on tues and I made my first Dollie trip for the year. Went and caught my live bait on Monday arvo to save time on tues morning. Got to the FAD at 6:45 good conditions and first boat there.

Didn’t see or catch any big fish but content with a steady stream of fish 55cm to 67cm. Kept 7 then left the FAD at 9:15 and headed in to fish for some flathead. Caught 10 keepers in an hour and headed for the ramp at 11:00 after an on water safety check by water police (all in order).

While at the Fad said hello to the next boat that arrived and went over before I left he had kept 3 thought a quick flat tie fish on the way back in sounded ok. Never know who you will bump into out on the water.

20190409_125105.jpg

Edited by hookerbruce
photo
  • Like 8

Well done and great report.  .. it's an awesome feeling when you have a FAD all to yourself even if only for a while eh? ... but then as Raiders we don't mind sharing especially with another Raider.  You are both going to have quite a few chews-days from those catches !

Cheers Zoran

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, hookerbruce said:

The weather and family commitments aligned on tues and I made my first Dollie trip for the year. Went and caught my live bait on Monday arvo to save time on tues morning. Got to the FAD at 6:45 good conditions and first boat there.

Didn’t see or catch any big fish but content with a steady stream of fish 55cm to 67cm. Kept 7 then left the FAD at 9:15 and headed in to fish for some flathead. Caught 10 keepers in an hour and headed for the ramp at 11:00 after an on water safety check by water police (all in order).

While at the Fad said hello to the next boat that arrived and went over before I left he had kept 3 thought a quick flat tie fish on the way back in sounded ok. Never know who you will bump into out on the water.

20190409_125105.jpg

Ha ha.    It sure was a good day on the water. Nice to meet you.    It’s so good out of the rat race getting to chat with people with that casual feel about it. 

Thanks for the replies 

Had fish for dinner last night with the grandkids, gave some to couple of neighbours who keep an eye on the place when we’re away and froze 4 meals. With 1 Dollie the flesh was inedible soft like jelly.

Nice getting to the fad first doesn’t happen often not even midweek. Maybe the approaching southerly deterred some.

Had first flatly drift in 35m for all throwbacks. Started next drift in 40m and there were plenty of fish.

It is nice midweek on the water Can actually say hello to. The boat next door even if you don’t know he is a raider.

Bruce

Quality fish there Bruce..

On another note, a mate got a good size Dolphin fish a the fad last season and it’s flesh did the same, turned to Jelly. 

A bit like what can happen to the flesh on those North Coast Kings.

He was disappointed ...... putting it mildly.

A couple of dollies I caught at the Port Stephens FAD the other week seemed a bit mushy when I filleted them, too. It made it hard to skin them. After a few hours in the fridge they were easier to skin. They seemed to cook up OK though but the former fillets certainly were better. My wife loved them all!

I’ve had the odd Dollie with soft flesh before. Also back in the 80s had a few kings from the Peak that were inedible.

Probably good to get the diseased fish out of the water. The carcass is going in the bin not back through the barley bucket.

Thanks Dave I was quite pleased as it was a short trip

2 hours ago, rickmarlin62 said:

Drop your mahis in a saltwater n ice slurry as soon as you bleed them  they will be firm as

All my fish go straight into an ice slurry with salt water. Six fish were perfect one when I went to fillet it the same day the flesh was like jelly/Ousey. Have had a couple like this over the years.

Bruce

3 hours ago, lakelad said:

Nice work with that haul @hookerbruce. What was the flattie rig you used, and what was the bait?

Just a standard paternoster rig two 3/0 suicide hooks 20lb fluorocarbon trace fished on 20lb braid and a 6 ounce sinker. Used bonito strips for bait because this is what I had. Any tough fish bait will do. I quite often use sweep fillets or mahi belly flaps

Bruce

• Thanks 1