Long Range headlamp with two modes flood and focus

zillah

Dear Experts

What do you recommend for a headlamp that has a long range ( 300 m max ,,,more don't mind) and with two modes flood and focus ? obviously bright

Preferable LED but not must

Prices range up to $150 little bit more no issue.

Regards

I posted this thread on another forum to have second opinions for your experiences 

Edited by zillah

I would look at the LED Lenser range. I have a SEO7R. It is perfect for what i use it for. Beach and Boat Fishing. It's light weight, rainproof, easy to use (different modes and adjustable beam), rechargable with the option of putting in AAA batteries if you run out while you're out and don't have a charger. 

I also have a Petzl NEO that is slightly heavier but more comfortable with the head strap arrangement. I use the petzl Neo if im wearing it constantly without taking it off. I use the Led Lenser if i'm using it occasionally and putting it in my pocket in between. 

A few things to think about in detail and what your priorities really are.

What is your application and what are your prioities? Beach/Boat fishing, walking to fishing spots etc? If so then brighter/stronger isn't always better/necessary. The SEO7R is good for this application. Figure out how important weight/comfort are, the SEO7R is very light. 

Do you really need 300m range? Are you spotlighting/hunting/searching with it? If not then the power might be a hinderance, especially for your mates or for close range work. If you do need the range maybe look at the Led Lenser H14R.2. It's a bit heavier but has a full head harness. It is more than your budget (about $220) I have a friend that uses one hunting and likes it.

If your budget is 3.5 times what you stated you can look at the Led Lenser XEO19R. It has 300m range and all the gadgets. I have not seen one in real life.

I hate using lights at night unless absolutely necessary. They ruin your night vision for ages and I hate it when others around me use them, including headlights on when launching or retrieving boats. IMO it’s better to get your eyes accustomed to the dark. More often than not the moon and stars are enough out on the water. Just sayin’. 😎

• Like 1

Wow that's a nice detailed reply @Captain Spanner.... I have learnt a fair bit from that.

I find a headlamp useful loading the boat at night or hooking up the trailer etc. For that I use a Bunnings Energizer (<$10) head lamp... runs on 3 AAA batteries. Has 10W white LED and a 5W red LED mode to preserve night vision. Regarding range the 10W white LED would easily do 10-20m but I reckon it would still upset BAZ ( @Berleyguts )  even at 300m.   So can we count that as having 300m range?

Cheers Zoran

Edited by zmk1962
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, zmk1962 said:

Wow that's a nice detailed reply @Captain Spanner.... I have learnt a fair bit from that.

I find a headlamp useful loading the boat at night or hooking up the trailer etc. For that I use a Bunnings Energizer (<$10) head lamp... runs on 3 AAA batteries. Has 10W white LED and a 5W red LED mode to preserve night vision. Regarding range the 10W white LED would easily do 10-20m but I reckon it would still upset BAZ ( @Berleyguts )  even at 300m.   So can we count that as having 300m range?

Cheers Zoran

The 5w red LEDs sound like a good option for me. I could probably live with that! 😂 I was always taught as kid, when using torches, to keep them pointed down low and never up in people’s eyes. I’ve tried to stick to it.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Welster said:

Headlights on at the ramp is the worst.   At times I wouldn’t mind a better reversing light on the car.

When I traveled around Oz in 89 I hooked up a flood light on the back of the roof rack on the 4b via separate switch, very handy for reversing in tight places in the pitch black also found it useful when a car coming up from behind had there high beams on, a quick flick of the switch & they soon sorted there high beam. Might work similar at the ramp with the headlights 

• Like 1

On 4/11/2019 at 3:53 PM, Berleyguts said:

I hate using lights at night unless absolutely necessary. They ruin your night vision for ages

A Bear Grils trick I once saw, is keep one eye closed while using the light source & after switching off the light open the eye that way ones good & the other eye soon adjusts

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, 61 crusher said:

A Bear Grils trick I once saw, is keep one eye closed while using the light source & after switching off the light open the eye that way ones good & the other eye soon adjusts

Try tying a knot with one eye... 😉

The Led Lenser SEO7R has a RED LED function. It's a few button presses to get into and out of that mode but that's no problem if that's the one you're mainly using. I avoid using the lights where possible but sometimes it's unavoidable or just easier to use it and readjust your eyes.

• Like 1

Have a look at an Australian company called Wolf Eyes.  Top quality products for a reasonable price.  They have a rechargeable headlamp, with flood or spot light for around $140.  I've been using them for years and love them.  Worth a look.  Cheers..........

Dave

Head torches/lamps aren't generally really designed to give '300 meters' of beam, there may be something out there but the size of the bezel that would be required wouldn't fit on your head or would be to cumbersome.

Also the amount of lumens to get their needs to be pretty high.

I have 4 or so headlamps & probably the best for the price is the Duracell 315 lumen, gets out to around 85 mtrs. For less than $30 from Bunnings its a good lamp for the price

To get out to 300mtrs you would need something like 500 to 750 lumens, Ive never heard of a headlamp that can produce that.

I do have 3 torches, 1 wolfeyes seal 750lm, 1 Olight 750lm & 1 Olight 1000lm, even though the Weyes & 750lm Olight are the same lunens the Olight has a larger bezel & give a much brighter & longer throw.

The 1000lm Olight gets me out to 500mtrs.

There is a forum called candlepower that could have some ideas for you on the headlamp.

Not sure what you application purpose is but if its for your boat maybe something like a lightforce HID lamp mounted somewhere would do the job, you could then probably see out to 800mtrs or more! 

Edited by kingie chaser

• 7 months later...

You need to check the actual type of led itself. Cree XHP 70.2 which is capable of up to 4200lumens (blindingly bright)is the latest I’m aware of, don’t think they’ve fit one in a headlamp yet.

In saying that I bought a cheapie that runs an XM-L2 U3 4 aa (capable of 1250 lumens but not on aa batteries), $50. Doesn’t have constant light like expensive ones which means you’ll see the light dim as the batteries run down. It’s range is about 150m.

Beware though, these things get mighty hot when used for extended periods. 

I use this torch for treking in and out of my spots, sometimes need to put a glow on the water at night if passing a wet section on the rocks.

While fishing I use a single aa type because you don’t even know it’s on your head after a while

Edited by originalrockhoppa
I didn’t know we couldn’t mention specific retailers

Yes very annoying when members reply only to be ignored by the original poster. Still there is a lot of useful information within the thread for other members to learn from. I have several cheapie type headlights that do the job for me, and I hate lights at night also.

Frank

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, frankS said:

Yes very annoying when members reply only to be ignored by the original poster. Still there is a lot of useful information within the thread for other members to learn from. I have several cheapie type headlights that do the job for me, and I hate lights at night also.

Frank

Hey frank, I get what your saying about what others members may learn from this but still imo there is such a thing as 'forum etiquette'

I admit I have joined many diverse forums over the years to ask a very specific question about a particular product & although I may not visit those sites very often or at all now at least I saw the thread through to the end, with a result and extended my appreciation for the advice.

It's not to much to expect or hard to do right?

Just saying!

Edited by kingie chaser

58 minutes ago, kingie chaser said:

Hey frank, I get what your saying about what others members may learn from this but still imo there is such a thing as 'forum etiquette'

I admit I have joined many diverse forums over the years to ask a very specific question about a particular product & although I may not visit those sites very often or at all now at least I saw the thread through to the end, with a result and extended my appreciation for the advice.

It's not to much to expect or hard to do right?

Just saying!

It has all changed now particularly the way we get information online.

People expect all transactions/conversations etc to be instantly gratified due to facebook. Users will hit a page or group on facebook and expect an instant answer. If it is delayed they will scroll on or move on. 

This is the way now and we have different rules of engagement and forum etiquette. Young people are digital natives and they will not ever have engaged online in a forum environment. 

The best we can do here is ask newcomers to add some info about themselves in the thread "Introduce Yourselves" in Fishing Chat. Try to explain it is a community and to use the search engine and ease their way in. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

It has all changed now particularly the way we get information online.

People expect all transactions/conversations etc to be instantly gratified due to facebook. Users will hit a page or group on facebook and expect an instant answer. If it is delayed they will scroll on or move on. 

This is the way now and we have different rules of engagement and forum etiquette. Young people are digital natives and they will not ever have engaged online in a forum environment. 

The best we can do here is ask newcomers to add some info about themselves in the thread "Introduce Yourselves" in Fishing Chat. Try to explain it is a community and to use the search engine and ease their way in. 

Well explained Donna & with all due respect 'we' generation 'X' don't have to conform to the way of the Generation 'Z' or 'Millennial's' 

The way they act these days many of them deserve a size 12 up the clacka or a clip around the ears! 

I am one of those who think actions speak louder than words & I am more than happy to pass on any of the limited knowledge I have to someone who is keen to listen & learn.

The others I don't want to waste my time on, life's to short!

Dam, I used to say to myself that I will never become one of those angry old men, well maybe Im not angry but I am certainly becoming less tolerable 🤨

6 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

Well explained Donna & with all due respect 'we' generation 'X' don't have to conform to the way of the Generation 'Z' or 'Millennial's' 

The way they act these days many of them deserve a size 12 up the clacka or a clip around the ears! 

I am one of those who think actions speak louder than words & I am more than happy to pass on any of the limited knowledge I have to someone who is keen to listen & learn.

The others I don't want to waste my time on, life's to short!

Dam, I used to say to myself that I will never become one of those angry old men, well maybe Im not angry but I am certainly becoming less tolerable 🤨

Lol! I get, “OK boomer”, all the time! 😂

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/21/2019 at 7:49 PM, originalrockhoppa said:

Ha yeah, my bad for bringing up an old thread

I’d just joined and was looking through different topics and saw something I could reply to without looking at the date of the original post

I’m a bit new to forums and stuff

No sorries here @originalrockhoppa We all learn. 
Lots here to read and you will enjoy it :)

• Like 1