Reds again

rickmarlin62

15kg mainline  short plaited double  4 wrap opposite blood knot to 60lb leader 14ft long I cut leader n tie back to itself 2 ft above hook if bitten off you don't lose torpedo float ps I never use balloons  will weigh fish this arvo at comp  fish is full length of my 110ltr box will measure ltr

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rickmarlin62 said:

15kg mainline  short plaited double  4 wrap opposite blood knot to 60lb leader 14ft long I cut leader n tie back to itself 2 ft above hook if bitten off you don't lose torpedo float ps I never use balloons  will weigh fish this arvo at comp  fish is full length of my 110ltr box will measure ltr

Interesting, Rick. I’m not sure what you mean by tying the leader back to itself. Can you expand further, please?

2 hours ago, rickmarlin62 said:

Thanks rick! 

Some interesting facts! For all I’ve spoke to chasing them, they are using either 40 or 60lb leaders. Most have had trouble with macs. I’ve been using 80 to 100lb, a 3m leader and balloon 2m above the livie. The only fish we hit were good longtail. 

My point, the Mac tuna might see the heavier gauge but the bigger fish either don’t see it or don’t care! Hmmmm 🤔

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Berleyguts said:

Now, I’m torn... head to the FAD for dollies, or head to Broughton for snapper and tuna! 🤔 Hopefully tomorrow.

Doesn't seem to be such a tough decision....seems like a choice between better and best !  ... 
Best of luck.

Cheers Zoran

23 hours ago, Berleyguts said:

Now, I’m torn... head to the FAD for dollies, or head to Broughton for snapper and tuna! 🤔 Hopefully tomorrow.

Hey Baz how did you go today? What was your decision? Which way did you go.

Woodsy

2 hours ago, Woodsy1 said:

Hey Baz how did you go today? What was your decision? Which way did you go.

Woodsy

I went to Broughton as I had a later start than planned - didn’t leave the ramp until first light as the wind was blowing from the north harder than expected and beached my boat while I was parking the trailer! I didn’t have any luck with snapper or tuna. I think I have to start the learning process all over again! I had the Sisters to myself. I didn’t see any tuna around. I tried plastics and bait but only got undersized snapper. The birds were working all around the Sisters, so I trolled past them on my way to North Rock and got a couple of small bonito. Not much luck at North Rock either. It was weird seeing no other boats about but by then it was blowing from the south and was choppier than I expected. I headed towards the V and  drifted for a while. Caught a trag (my first) and 3 flathead. Still enjoyed my day out, even getting soaked with spray both on the way up and on the way home! Makes we want to get a cabin boat!

F4B4EF2E-B8E6-425E-9987-B265A6ECBB84.jpeg

Edited by Berleyguts
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

At least you got a feed Baz. How many knts were you drifting at . It’s unusable not seeing any boats specially being that it’s the school holidays but I suppose that’s why I like fishing on Mondays. I’m heading out Wednesday (weather permitting) so hopefully it will  be worth writing a report about (like Ricks monsters, sorry for butting into your post Rick).

Good luck next time Baz

Woodsy

10 minutes ago, Woodsy1 said:

At least you got a feed Baz. How many knts were you drifting at . It’s unusable not seeing any boats specially being that it’s the school holidays but I suppose that’s why I like fishing on Mondays. I’m heading out Wednesday (weather permitting) so hopefully it will  be worth writing a report about (like Ricks monsters, sorry for butting into your post Rick).

Good luck next time Baz

Woodsy

Drift was about 1.5-2 knots towards the north east. I also sat on spot lock for a while and floated baits back down the berley trail. I was the only boat on the bait grounds, too - left as 2 others arrived. There was a pro boat at middle rock and I think I saw a boat near Little Gibber but that was about it.

Nice trag baz  don't give up on the reds  they are there   I normally get them  early morn or late arvo   I got one at midday on Saturday on a livey though so you can never read them like a book   all good woodsy hope to see you n jeff soon

Edited by rickmarlin62
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Berleyguts said:

I went to Broughton as I had a later start than planned - didn’t leave the ramp until first light as the wind was blowing from the north harder than expected and beached my boat while I was parking the trailer! I didn’t have any luck with snapper or tuna. I think I have to start the learning process all over again! I had the Sisters to myself. I didn’t see any tuna around. I tried plastics and bait but only got undersized snapper. The birds were working all around the Sisters, so I trolled past them on my way to North Rock and got a couple of small bonito. Not much luck at North Rock either. It was weird seeing no other boats about but by then it was blowing from the south and was choppier than I expected. I headed towards the V and  drifted for a while. Caught a trag (my first) and 3 flathead. Still enjoyed my day out, even getting soaked with spray both on the way up and on the way home! Makes we want to get a cabin boat!

F4B4EF2E-B8E6-425E-9987-B265A6ECBB84.jpeg

Nice report baz.

What species of flathead are those look how forward the eyes are located.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GoingFishing said:

Nice report baz.

What species of flathead are those look how forward the eyes are located.

But I hijacked Rick’s report. Sorry Rick!

They are blue spot flathead. My son said they tasted fantastic! My wife and I had the trag. I had bonito sashimi too.

• Like 1